Find
Notify
Tools

Sauer 202 Stutzen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted
Guys, I am about to push the button and order a new .30cal as discussed here a few months back. The current front runner (about 90%) is a Sauer 202 Stutzen in 308win. Mainly because they are so damned sexy looking.

Application is a European pig gun and a bit of woodland stalking in the UK and Ireland.

Any reason not to go this way? Anyone any experience of these guns out there?

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
A stutzen is indeed a sexy rifle I have had many over the years.

I really don't want to tell you this isn't the right rifle for you but I will say be carefull in that the stutzens I have had have had a real problem with changing POI.

It sounds like your intended use for the rifle will be short range and the stutzen stock may not cause to much of a problem in this application. I just want to share my expiriance.

Haveing said all that none of my stutzens were the one you are buying. I'd love to hear about it if they (Sauer) has cracked the code on making stable stutzen rifles.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Brian,

I love it! Me and Aleko were talking about some full stock rifles the other day.

I have a Steyr Mannlicher Luxus in 270 (god I hate the caliber) and he has something similar. Would love to have a mannichered 202 in 30-06. Aleko and my father would want a 308.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Some years ago, I've had a Steyr-Mannlicher Luxus stützen in 7x64. Very sexy looking rifle but I finally disposed of it because the POI shifted constantly. I still have an .22 LR Anschütz 1418 stützen which I had to free float "generously" to alleviate the same problem. So, no more full stocked rifles for me !
OTOH and regarding the Sauer 202, I've a very accurate 7x64 for which I just bought another .30-06 barrel. I've started experimenting handloads and so far the worst 5-shot group is 1.0 MOA (best is presently .69 MOA but it's only a beginning).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Those new Sauer 202 carbines with their full-length stock are sexy looking indeed. The Blaser's; K95 or R93, aren't shabby either (K-95 stutzen is my current hands-down favorite with no signs of wavering).

The Left-Handed Steyr Stutzen I once owned required some serious doctering on the insides & underside of the full-length stock with glassbed and constant applications of wood wax, stock oil and an inletted & relieved washer under the forend metal cap to keep it shooting stable but I think that issue was due to the extremely thin wood used in the entire stock. Magically managed it without any outside visible marks and afterwards it delivered some fantastic accuracy but required constant attention to the tightness of the metal forend cap screw. Didn't distract me too awful much and I'd still own it excpet my Regimental Commander decided it was the rifle of his dreams, so after contemplating what was to be a career enhancing decision - parted with it - such is life.

Teutons have found a great way to relieve this forearm bedding issue with a two-piece forearm; the reason why they are sometimes seen with a "schabel" and black line space about half way down the forearm - takes some of the pressure off.

The Sauer's forearm issues I've tinkered with IMO (I've relieved & sanded a few on the inside of the forearm - both synthetic & wood) appears to originate from just exactly how tight the entire forearm assembly is screwed onto the action (Sauer's two piece stock design). These though have all been on the previous half-stocked versions; not the new full-length ones.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Dad's 270 Steyr that I bought for $850 about 10 years ago wouldn't group after a few rounds.

Then a long came Craig Boddington's MAKE IT ACCURATE, and he talked about putting a pressure bed point at half stock and Bobs your uncle it works like a charm.

I have done the same thing with Ruger #1s, and a Anchutz 22 full stock rifle I used to own. The system works.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
You know Gerry, my unit Ordenance Officer back in 1997 when I bought that rifle tried to pull the same crap on me.

I luckily avoided it by transferring, and saving that rifle. Military politics is sometimes a tough one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys.

You are right, accuracy is my primary concern here. I can't bring myself to buy a plastic/stainless rifle, walnut and blue steel for this boy. I think a nice handy 308win with a 20" barrel is the way to go. I have lusted after a stutzen for years, but at Sauer Elegance prices I expect a rifle to be a near tack-driver. I know a conventional Sauer will do this, I would hate to spend £1,500 for a pretty rifle for it to spray the rounds all over the place.

I need to stew on this for a few more days.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might be an option, S202 "Highland", 20" barrel, under 6lbs (2.7kg) in weight?

Looks prettty sweet:

One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
I got a new S202 classic (The standard) and it is indeed pretty and it shoots well. The caliber is 6,5x55 with 22" (55 cm) barrel. Scope Zeiss 3-12x56 classic, rings EAW swing off

thumb

I shoot this 3 shot group lying down in rocks in freezing temp, so I am pleased with it.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a 202 Select Today....
.....now i cant wait. Cool

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas