New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57R
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering buying a beautiful little double in 7x57R but have no experience with the caliber. I have a 7x65R and it is a very effective rifle, the ballistics charts put the 7x57R as a little less whipppy than a .270win. so how does it perform on game, and what is it like at long distances?
I would be trading it for a under over in 9.3x74, but that is such a light rifle that it kicks more than my .375H&H double so I'd rather use the .375H&H if im going to use a 9mm rifle...

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
Take a trip tour to CZ republic and go hunting there. I went there two years a go and hunted with the locals and the 7 x 57 was a common calibre with the hunters over there. The hunting there is a special thing and the people are the most hospitable and fun loving bunch I have ever meet. And the guns that are for sale are so inexpensive that you can�t believe it. When I was there I could take any game I got in my scope and it was game all over the place. So before you go and buy any riffle in a 7 x 57, try to combine a hunt and shopping trip. I promise you wont be sorry.
S�lvi
[Smile]

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hallo Express,

the 7x57R is a very nice caliber. It is very good for roe and for boar also.
About the distance you can say it is the same as the 9,3x74R or comparable with the 8x57. There your x65R is a bit better.
So for really long distances (over 170-190m) I would not use.

The accuracy could be better than the x65R, because the x57R is a bit younger and the cone at the beginning of the barrel is shorter.

Best regards

Posts: 147 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sauenj�ger are you sure the x65R is the elder one ????

For shooting not too big game at under 100 m the light recoiling x57R might be a dandy. I would avoid the H Mantel bullet. It will kill for sure, but not quick. ( I own a 7x57R ). Try 10.5g TUG or is there a 160 grs Nosler partition? The 175 grs part might be too tough and expand too slow. Don�t use anything under 150 grs. I would prefer the 7x65R.

Perhaps even a light 9.3x74R will stand up longer than a .375 HH double. But as I understand it, perhaps you don�t stand it?? Get a Pachmayr decelerator.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Guys - the 7 x 57R was developed and introduced in 1896-7 in its final form , and the 7 x 65R was introduced in 1926 ( Dixon - European Sporting Cartridges Vol. 1 ) Todays piece of useless free information....

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
EXPRESS

the 7X57R is getting tired when the ranges starts to getting long.

I would suggest the 7X65R which is a very popular round in Europe and Sacndinavia. I would use 150-170 grainers in it depending on range and game

Good luck
/ JOHAN

[ 11-30-2002, 23:15: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The 7x65R (= rimmed version of the 7x64) is the most powerful of the 2, the most popular and cases are easier to find (at least on this side of the pond).

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't argue on the 7X57R as I don't own one. But I am pleased with my 7X65R (roes, boars and warthogs find it quite unpleasant though [Big Grin] ), and I don't want to trade her for something weaker. Just keep your 7X65R!

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by King Baboon:
I don't want to trade her for something weaker

Admit to us that you love that long kitchen knife previously shown. Rifle is just a cover up [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
The French's are crazy [Eek!]

/ JOHAN