Find
Notify
Tools

Gunmaker in germany early 1900's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted
I was wondering if any of our European members might know who this gunsmith is or if they ever heard of him. This is what is stamped on the barrel K. Vurgs Muller, Charlottenburg. Thanks

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 323,
have regret to say, that i never heared of this gunsmith.
Charlottenburg is a city part of Berlin. Just wondering if the stamp maybe says K. Burgsmüller?
Burgsmüller... as far as i know.. was situated in Suhl, but because a lot of gunsmiths had a headquarter in Berlin in former time, it might could be that Burgsmüller is the gunsmith who made the gun.
But i don´t know if i´m right with my speculation.
cheers
Konstantin

My old User Name konst has been lost , on 20/5/02, after a ???????

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatley I don't have the gun here in my home it is at my dad's. I will call and ask him to verify the name for me again. I will let you know what he says. Thanks for the Info

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink 323,

Konstantin has given you a great staring point and I'll be happy to add my experience and assistance.

What kind of firearm is it? A Mauser bolt action, a shotgun, combination gun ,etc.?

How clear are the barrel markings? Could the markings have been refinshed, sanded or worn down from handling and use? Could you take a digital photo of the markings and send along for comparision or additional research points?

Do you have any idea of the age of the firearm?

I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca for a year and have a very close who lives there, speaks German fluently, was stationed in Berlin with me and as a hunter & shooter has solid understanding of German gunmaking. I'd be happy to speak to you about him off-line if you are interested and would like him to take a look at the piece also.

Cheers,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiler 323,

Only registered BURGSMUELLER is, H. Burgsmüller & Söhne, typical of the era spelled several different ways with either the umlaut (two dots) over the "u" in muller or with an "ue". The company is registered as H. Burgsmueller & Sons, Gewehrfabrik (Gunfactory) Kreiensen/Harz. It is not unusual with wear & handling of barrel and receiver marks for an "H" to appear to be a "K". Your description of the bolt on another forum as a spoon is correct, this is a butterknife bolthandle and is typical of sporting (as oposed to military) Mausers of the era.

There is a company history going back at least until 1910 (catalog of hunting guns & accessories with pictures of the factory - for sale as an antique) and their own "dhp" Mauser code meaning they manufactured Mausers for Germany during wartime.

Cheers,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi,
In order to keep our German friends busy bewildered
I would like to ask you if you know anything about the following German gun makers?

Büschenmaschermeister Robert Hübner Darmstadt?
I have a A&D actioned drilling in caliber 16/16/9,3x74R by this maker.

Miller & Val. Greiss, München
I have a Mauser 98 in caliber 9,3x63 by this makers.

Regards
Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konst#1:
Hey 323,
have regret to say, that i never heared of this gunsmith.
Charlottenburg is a city part of Berlin. Just wondering if the stamp maybe says K. Burgsmüller?
Burgsmüller... as far as i know.. was situated in Suhl, but because a lot of gunsmiths had a headquarter in Berlin in former time, it might could be that Burgsmüller is the gunsmith who made the gun.
But i don´t know if i´m right with my speculation.
cheers
Konstantin

I talked to my dad this morning and it is K. Burgsmuller. Sorry for the mix up, the gun in question is a mauser bolt action in a 9.3x62. underneath barrel it is stamped 9mmx62 with the following numbers on the barrel and reciever 3033. M23 is on the action as well as St.MG N18grs stamped on the underside barrel. I have already been told what this stands for. Thanks again for any info.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Wink 323,

Konstantin has given you a great staring point and I'll be happy to add my experience and assistance.

What kind of firearm is it? A Mauser bolt action, a shotgun, combination gun ,etc.?

How clear are the barrel markings? Could the markings have been refinshed, sanded or worn down from handling and use? Could you take a digital photo of the markings and send along for comparision or additional research points?

I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca for a year and have a very close who lives there, speaks German fluently, was stationed in Berlin with me and as a hunter & shooter has solid understanding of German gunmaking. I'd be happy to speak to you about him off-line if you are interested and would like him to take a look at the piece also.

Cheers,

Gerry

I do not have the gun here as of yet, My dad will be sending it to me hopefully be next week.
Once I get it I will post pictures, I would definatley be interested in letting your friend take a look at it once I get it here. The gun has been reblued from what I have been told. It is a bolt action mauser chambered in a 9.3x62 and it has a spoonhandle bolt on it. I have posted information on this rifle under gunsmithing on this forum.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Wink 323,

Cheers,

Gerry

I have the rifle here now if you could e-mail at john.t.winsor@us.army.mil I would really like to tal k to your friend so he could take a look at it. Thanks