New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-resident hunting in Germany
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Doeas anyone have any good info on hunts in Germany for non-residents? I had one contact from Atchesons & Sons but it didn't work out. All I want to hunt is chamois but the outfitter said it wasn't worth his time to hunt the one animal. I do not have a German hunting or firearms license and will need the outfitter to provide the rifle.

Posts: 26 | Location: arkansas | Registered: 17 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kodiakisland:
All I want to hunt is chamois but the outfitter said it wasn't worth his time to hunt the one animal.

Huh?? It is quite common to sign up with a hunting area/outfitter to hunt "just" one chamois. Your trouble may be that Germany is not very oriented towards non-resident hunting. Essentially, you need to get in touch with lease holders of a hunting area (in Bavaria) or the State Forest - which also hold hunting rights. It is possible for a non-resident in Germany to have a temporary hunting license issued, based on a valid hunting license from your home country.

But,,, despair not. Bavaria (which is where you'd want to go in Germany for a chamois) is right next door to Austria, and there commercial, non-resident hunting is much more common. There are several hunting consultants who will be able to arrange hunting for you in Austria.

One has mail address: office@artemis.at (their website seems to out of order right now).

I believe this is a hunting area selling animals directly: http://www.jagd-stjakob.at/Gamswild_fr.htm

Here is another Austrian hunting consultant, whom I have used several times: http://www.mistral-jagd.at/,
and the link to their pdf file for Austrian hunts: http://www.mistral-jagd.at/angebote/2007/k04.pdf (all in German, naturally... But give them a mail or a buzz...)

In fact, there are so many options to hunt chamois in Austria (privately or through a consultant) I could go on posting links all night.

Chamois hunting is also offered in other countries neighbouring either Germany directly (France, Czech Republic) or bordering Austria (Slovenia). It should definitely be possible to find something...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The German hunting system is not oriented to Hunting Tourism although this topic is currently being addressed and in some German States they are beginning to make opportunities available for "Foreigners". The "Foreigners" however; tend almost exclusively to be Europeans as it is easier to fascilitate these hunts due to recipricating agreements acknowledging Hunting & Firearms Licensing among some EU Countires.

Like Mike said above, booking a Chamois Hunt is normally for one Trophy at a time. I can't figure out why the Booking Agent selected would have had such diffiuclty to organize a single opportunity?

I've arranged for many American hunters to hunt with me - it requires the same beaurocratic proceedures as for a European hunter, so it can be accomplished.

The Bavarian Forestry would be my place to start looking for German Chamois Hunt availability but like Mike says; there are so many more opportunities for Chamois Hunts available in Austria than there ever thought of being in Germany. Even German hunters who have difficulties finding an opportunity here book Chamois Hunts in Austria.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have done a lot of hunting in Germany and I have taken chamois there as well as Austria.
If you know someone there it makes it a whole lot easier.
First to get your hunting license a German hunter will have to give you a recomendation as your sponser (they will need to know you have a place to hunt). Then you need to send prof that you are a qualified hunter to them. Your state hunting license might do but the more you send them the better.
The hunting lisence (auslandjagdschein) will be issued by the local goverment in the area you will hunt and will be good only in the state your hunting in and only valid for two weeks.
You will need to send a passport size photo along with the application.
Don't throw the lisence away after the two weeks because you can update it by bringing it into the hunting department at the county administration office and you won't have to jump through all of those hoops again.
One mistake I've seen in Germany is with the gun permit.
As a U.S. hunter you will need to check your rifle in with customs at the airport at arrival.
This shouldent be a problem but I've seen the custom agent (ZOLL) tell a freind of mine that he did'nt need a gun permit because he had a hunting lisence. This is true by German law but dosn't apply to forener's

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently live in Germany but don't have any of my rifle with me. That is why I will need to borrow one from the outfitter/guide.

The problem with the contact I had from Atcheson was that he also wanted me to hunt several other animals that had high trophy fees.

Anyone have a contact in Austria that speaks english?

Posts: 26 | Location: arkansas | Registered: 17 May 2006Reply With Quote