Find
Notify
Tools

roebuck season 2008
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted
so spring is here and with that, roebuck season is rapidly approching. in denmark it is the 16 of may.

this tread is for all of us and the roebuck we take during 2008.

since im going to africa in august i have decided to use my heutier dbl. rifle only.

a few pics of a nice fork horned buck, that got away only because it is not season yet.

and another(sorry about the lousy pic)

so with my hopes for a good season, break a leg

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your pictures brought back memories of my time in Germany, 1949-50.
Harvested several boar and roebuck. Great experiences.
Plus, after the hunt there was always the great German......beer. beer

The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but the experience.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
lets get this party started clap
roebuck taken at 92 meters this morning

yours truly

best regards

peter

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Til lykke !

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done Peter! Which caliber did you use? It's a "fat" one....

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grattis, väl skjutet.

God to see that you did use the "good" rifle like you said earlier.

/Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
today was a good day.

a quick rundown, because im tired now.
I got up at 3:30 and was in the stables at 4:00 gettig scoop(one of my stallions) ready for the day.
we were in the forest at 4:45 about 20 minutes before legal shooting time. i was just humming along at a slow pace letting the horse eat a bit as we drifted further into the forest.

at 6:00 i got the first glimps of a decent buck, he was walking and feeding at a walk towards a small field in the forest, i followed him slowly while watching him, to determin, if i wanted to take this one now.

he had walked out onto the field grasing, standing around 100 yards from the forest border. i got off scoop and starte to stalk the last 50 yards to the border. i got a nice rest against a birch and waited for him to turn broadside, 30 sec. (that felt like a lifetime) later he precented the classic broadside shot and i let the bullet fly.

WHACK he fell over, like he was struck by mjoelner itself. i was really starting to like this rifle, it was leaving all the old and stupid remarks about dbl rifles lack of precision behind it in the dust from the 245 grains bullet.

i broke the buck and slung him over the shoulder and got on scoop again, and set the course for home while listening to the forest waking up in a flurry of sounds that no man can replicate.

i unloaded the buck, and put scoop in the stable with his morning feed, got a quick photo of the buck and me at the lawn, and went in to have breakfast with the kids before i had to drive them to kindergarten.

when i came back niicky could see that there was no possible way to get anything work related out of me today so she went and picked up her photo gear again(she was with me in the morning as well)
while i went to saddle scoop up again.

i took a different route this time riding along the forest egde, having fun and enjoying the day with niicky, untill i saw, out of the corner of my eye, a mangy fox trotting over the field. i dont mind foxes that much but if sick i put them down at once.

i dident even get off scoop, but took the shoot from the saddle.

fast photo before the digging the hole and making sure that the dogs couldent get to the body.
shot was taking at 63 yards.

riding further along, we came to another field where i knew that a nice buck were from time to time.
i saw him in the other end of the field, about 350 yards away.
so the stalk commenced with all the walking, standing, crawling and more crawling only halted by the freeze stance whenever he looked up at you.
finaly i was at a distance where i felt i could take him and feel proud about the stalk, by hands were burning up from the stinging nettles(forgot my gloves on the saddle) i sat up, rested my elbows on my knees and waited for him to stand at a better angle than the texas heart shot he precented me with.
again that rifle just worked its charms and the buck went down at once. i walked to the buck with a bittersweet notion that i reached my limit in that forest in one day and it would be a whole year before i could hunt there again.

i really love this picture

best regards

peter

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Peter,

From the photos and your shot placement you'd better bring a fat cheque book as it seems you dont take any nonsense nice shooting.

Keep it up and when in August youre here in Africa with us you will be on a roll. clap

Again I would like to urge you to think about that poor mans bufalo with the double.

Cheers

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

I take it that Scoop is not 'gun shy' then!!

Nice shooting, a great story - and your lady has taken some lovely photographs to remind you of the day.

Congratulations to all.

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After looking at your latest pictures I had a "vision" of my first roebuck.
Shot him with a 250-3000, Savage 99 at about 90 yards. Like I stated earlier, that was a long time ago.
Still have a couple of horn-mounts as reminders of hunts from a special time.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
frederik:

thank you, i do try to make the first shot the only one, also how would it look if i shoot purly and we have to spend the days running around after wounded game.
dont worry i will bring the check book and we will see if i can keep up with you guys.

IanF:

no scoop is not that concerned about anyting else than food or mares, you proberly know the breed allready as gypsy horses, it takes a lot to unnerve them, and he is used to come hunting with me.

sav. 250:

if it were a long time ago, then you need to go again, i love roebuck hunting in the summer it is so special.

best regards

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
peterdk:
Would be nice but unless I win the Lotto it
ain`t going to happen. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
here are some photos from this season in Spain. some are in the before-season scouting, and the rest are some bucks already harvested.
I hope you enjoy them.
Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
montero

fantastic bucks, thanks for sharing, where were you hunting, and how can i get to hunt there Big Grin

weidsmannsheil

peter

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics, Peter and Montero.Nice deer there.

Peter, any more details on the rifle?It looks great.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 784 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Great Roe there Montero.

I really, really want a K95.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
The photos and trophiesa are from the provinces of Segovia and Soria, abut 150km North N-West of Madrid.
Montero

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC bucks Montero, these are surely classed as very good bucks? or are they just typical?

Never really thought of Spain as having that quality deer and looks like fantastic countryside, do you have alot of commercial stalking over there?

Regards NW

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobinOLocksley:

Peter, any more details on the rifle?It looks great.

Best-
Locksley,R

robin

the rifle is a heutier, a french double rifle in 9,3x74r, i got it at holt auctions in london for a song and a dance(pretty much)
i mounted a scope on it and use it exclusively this season to practise for my first african trip this august with infinito safaries.

montero:
can you recomend an outfitter or guide in your area, i would really like to get a chance at some of those roe bucks.

best regards

peter

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Montero runs an outfitting operation that some of us here have hunted through in the past. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend him as he has worked very hard for me in the past and I'm looking forward to hopefully hunting with him this October in the Alps if I find the time to organise it...

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montero

Thanks for shareing this nice Roe Deer Pics.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
Except for the buck in the fifth photo, which is in the 135-137 CIC point range, the rest are rather typical trophies from this area.

The density of the roe population is very low, something like 5 or 6 roe per square km (100 hectares) and that makes that there is almost no commercial stalking.

Behind each of those bucks there are many hours spent in the bush and it would not make much sense to make anybody travel a long distance to maybe not have a single clear chance in a whole weekend.

Thank you for your comments, and you, Kiri, for your kind words. I sent you an email to congratulate your wife and you for the newborn but I guess that meaybe you are off your work for a few days and have not received it. I rwally hope we can finally put a plan together in the Alpps or whereever.

Montero

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Montero, thank you so much for sharing your excellent pictures. I'm a big fan of the small European Rae and often come to this forum to see pictures of the deer, the hunters and the area hunted. Yours are as good as I've seen. Spain is truly a wonderful country (I've visited twice) and it's wonderful to see a hunting tradition alive and well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, down here in the South West of England, we still have a few bucks left!

Actually, the area is known for its strong Roe trophies, the mild weather and plentiful browse aiding both numbers and antler development.

I read of other hunters spending weeks locating their bucks, learning their movements - then patiently awaiting the start of a limited season. Roll Eyes Sorry, but there is no great story attached to this fellow. Frowner

My 'hunt' consisted of getting out of the Landrover, walking 80 metres before shooting him neatly under the chin. He didn't hear or see me - but made the error of couching in the middle of a friend's fruit field. A pity, as he would have grown to be a really fine trophy!

Did I mention that after forty metres, I had to circle around a couple does who were also munching on young strawberries? More work later in the year, when the season opens for the ladies.

A lovely evening, inbetween heavy rain showers. Who could stay inside and ignore the fact the Roe would be out feeding?

Sorry about the poor picture - my telephone seems to be collecting dust on its lenses!

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very nice trophy, indeed.

Congratulations, Ian.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Congrats guys - nice thumb - here are a couple of living ones for a change (pics taken yesterday morning):

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montero...Mouse93: Guys, thanks for taking the time and posting your pictures.
Those are some fine looking bucks.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sav.250:
Your pictures brought back memories of my time in Germany, 1949-50.
Harvested several boar and roebuck. Great experiences.
Plus, after the hunt there was always the great German......beer. beer

Harvest were you using a harrow, or swath? We don't harvest animals, we kill them. Harvesting is the correct term for grains, apples, and potatos.

Harvest has nothing to do with hunting.

Harvest removes 250,000 years of human instict and breaks it down to rudimentory politically correct BS!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice bucks Montero, I never saw a single roe buck while living in Spain, but these are very nice.

quote:

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99:
Thanks for taking the time to express yourself in ref my retort to another poster.
Nothing like having some egg head jump in with both feet with a rant that ends with ...BS!
As you expressed your self with the all powerful...! then let me say bsflag to you as well.
Hope your meds kick in before you flame up again.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Savage250,

Why do you use this politically correct word?

I have never understood why so many intellegent folks have fell into this PC trap on "harvest".

I never make appologies for being a hunter. When someone uses the word harvest I feel like they are hitting me with a PC shovel.

I like kill, take, shoot, shot, whack, and really love me and my hunting buddies use of the German term waidmannsheil.

When you have a good day you are waidsmannsheiling all over the place. Especially on birds or rodents, or in Africa.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
D99, some use the word harvest through a sense of political correctness; some use it in a more earthy, rural sense, expressing how they view thier relationship with the natural world and its bounty.

There is space for both these usages among us brother hunters no?

All the best,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
show some bucks or take it to the political forum.

best regards

peter

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Ok - got my old boy yesterday morning:

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok - got my old boy yesterday morning:

Waidmannsheil

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
congratulations, mouse93! but tell us something about how you hunted it...
best regards from Spain
Montero

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Great Corzo
and beautiful rifle, congratulations on both.

Greetings and good hunting,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, Mouse93. Judging from the flat on the teeth, he looks like an old one (of course, this has to be compared to other roes coming from the same territory as tooth wear is directly related with food nature).

Last tuesday, Christopher, my son-in-law shot this nice one :

A tall buck in good condition but,amazingly, dressed weight was a mere 16 kg.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse and André best of luck, great kills.

André the shot your son-in-law took what was it, I think I see an exit at the base of the neck/shoulder? Is that right.

My only addition to this great thread is a six pointer made of paper, I´ll think I will hold of adding it to this beautiful thread.

Best regards Chris