Find
Notify
Tools

Need help from someone from Europe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
I'm looking for a red stag call (tube), who can help me?
I want to start practising for next year [Smile]
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo!!

I prefer to only use my voice and hands.IMO its better and cheaper. Of course you can use a tube,but you really dont need it.

Posts: 162 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
I'm looking for a red stag call (tube), who can help me?
I want to start practising for next year [Smile]
Thanks
LG

I'm sure we can figure something out Lorenzo. I'm not quite sure what you want, but let me try to outline some options - not all commercially available, but still.

1) rubber call (tube). Can be had commercially. If memory serves (I don't have my catalogs at hand), they are around EUR 50 including a calling tape, which you can probably also get separately. This is an easy solution, although not very classic.

2) More classic would be a horn (ox, bull whatever). As big as you feel like carrying, the bigger the horn the more sound you can get out of it. Note, though, that calling is sometimes a delicate art, and often a (fighting) roar is not what brings out the stags. But it is also possible to roar/call more gently with a bigger horn. I guess, being located in South America, it should not be too great a problem for you to locate a nice, big horn, cut the end off, fix a thin leather strap (for carrying), and start learning how to use it.

3) most classic of all: a large mussel shell. These can be used to produce an amazing amount of sound! Not quite sure where you'd pick up one of these?? Curio shop by the sea, or something [Smile]

If I were you, I'd probably try to get hold of a nice big horn, and start learning to use that. I suspect a horn could be had at your place for next to nothing, and it truely is a classic option.

If you want to pursue the rubber call option further, let me know.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

The classic call for duplicating the roar/ bellow of a Red stag used here in the UK is a German call which in effect is a funnel/bell shaped green tube which telescopes in three sections for easy storage. The have no reeds or anything, but simply amplify your own voice. Kettners in Germany sell them but they are expensive for what the are. I am not sure if this is the call mho referes to, but if not i would be interested to hear more about it....

I have heard a few guys using a simple piece of hard plastic/PVC water pipe about 3" in diameter and about 12"-15" long to achieve the same thing..again all it does is amplify your voice. With practice it works very well. I have been told a piece of hollowed out bamboo of the same size works just as well as does a cow horn as already mentioned.

The main thing would be to get a calling tape and i am looking for one of those, in English,
myself. If you search around: http://www.deer-uk.com they do have some short recordings of a stag roaringing which may start you off.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
I believe that you may find it at www.kettner.de altogether with a tape.
It does not have any sort of electronic amplifier nor anything inside it is just a hollow rubber tube that sells for 50 euros as somebody here said.
I use any 1,5 liter plastic bottle with the bottom cut off. As simple as that. I also use my hands but by the way stags react, with the bottle I seem to sound more sexy [Big Grin]
In my opinion large mussel shells produce a much different noise. We use them to call the dogs back after a long run after a deer or boar or whatever.
Let men know if you need anything else.
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Maybe some of our friends from Australia or New Zealand might be able to supply more info as I know calling Red Stags during the roar is a pretty popular way of hunting down there. I would be especially interested if they know of an intructional calling tapes/video's (in English!) which might be available.

Lorenzo,

If you are interested in hunting Red hinds as well, i believe these will respond to Cow or Calve Elk calls which are popular in the States. I have bought a couple myself and will be trying them this season.

regards,

Pete

[ 03-27-2003, 14:27: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
Lorenzo,

The classic call for duplicating the roar/ bellow of a Red stag used here in the UK is a German call which in effect is a funnel/bell shaped green tube which telescopes in three sections for easy storage. The have no reeds or anything, but simply amplify your own voice. Kettners in Germany sell them but they are expensive for what the are. I am not sure if this is the call mho referes to, but if not i would be interested to hear more about it....

Peter, that is the call I was referring to - just a rubber tube . As you say, expensive for what it is.

As it has been stated here, any old device that can be used as a sound amplifier will do - toilet paper roll, old coke bottle to PVC tube. It all depends on how much one is willing to spend, how much amplification one is looking for, and how much appearance matters... The "classic" calls were horns or mussel shells. They'll all amplify whatever sound you input in one end - be it for calling dogs or stags [Wink]

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to be in Hulaboka (not spelt correctly) in the Czech Republic last year when they had the International Red Stag calling contest (well about eight countries anyway).

The contest was quite interesting with most of the master callers using a variety of instruments but including rubber and plastic tubes, conch shells etc.

Unfortunately the contest was interrupt by a cloud burst and very very heavy rain. A self-important MC (Master of Ceremonies) wind bag talked for so long at the beginning while the ominous storm clouds gathered that the contest didn't actually start until the rain was almost starting.

When it stopped raining, these sturdy people all got out there again and started up the contest again and most of the spectators sat down in the wet chairs (we were all soaked through anyway).

Listened for a couple of hours and left because I think it looked like the rain was coming again. It was interesting to get the car out of the grass (deep mud) paddock.

Lorenzo

Another source of both tapes and stag calling devices would be Frankonia Jagd (I don't think they have a website)in Germany. I think I have some information somewhere on how to get a catalogue from them. If interested send me an email.

You can also get CDs on the web on red stags calling and various sounds from www.natys.com in France.

[ 03-27-2003, 17:11: Message edited by: NitroX ]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NitroX,

Damn, and here I was intending to boycott all things French! [Wink]

Seriously, i would love to poke around some of the hunting shops in Europe and Scandinavia i bet it it would be a real eye opener for a British stalker,

regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
WOOOWWWWW guys
Thanks a lot !!!!!
I'll start with a good pvc tube and download those red stags callings from the internet!!!
Regards
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo

Just checked the link I typed to make sure it was correct.

This is the CD I was thinking of

-

http://www.natys.com/uk/pages/theme.php3?type_produit=cda&theme=TH004

There is also a couple of sound extracts to try as well.

Pete

I bought a few CDs to try out on my deer herd - don't know if they speak French very well though.

I love to visit Gunshops and Hunting museums when visiting Europe - which isn't often enough. The language barrier is always a problem - bought some insulated boots (Wellingtons) in Czech last year plus various badges (eg boar, stags, stag teeth etc). Plus some hunting knifes etc which I collect.

Never got to the various name Gunshops in the UK when I was there. Silly, I guess.

[ 03-28-2003, 17:04: Message edited by: NitroX ]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
the dmq indentification video has a red stag holding hinds call, Which is the call you need for bringing in stags.
If you know some of the commision stalkers, they use a taped call when culling under license.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are seven deer sounds you can practice:
www.villmarksinfo.no/jakt/lokkekurs/vmi_kommunikasjon.html

The text is in norwegian ,but translated to english it would be something like this:

1.Big stag: Here iam!

2.Young horny stag: And here am i!

3.Another big stag: Iam watching you.So dont try anything!

4.Younger stag answering: Here i am,and iam not afraid of you!

5.The big stag:Watch out,i am coming!

6.The big stag:Are you ready?I know exactly where you are! Come on lets fight!

7.A roe: Watch out! Something is wrong here!.

It is an experienced hunter making this sounds.

[ 03-28-2003, 20:43: Message edited by: Hjortejeger ]

Posts: 162 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Man,it seems someone in the bathroom [Big Grin]
Argentina's stags are something different, that man should practice a little more [Smile]
Good Hunting and thanks
LG