Find
Notify
Tools

My new deer rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted
Just got my new deer rifle back from the guy that airbrushed it with duracoat!Its a 300 weatherby magnum with a Atez silenser and a Meopta 3-12-56 with light! I think this one will be good medisine for the hunting this year! tu2

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new toy. You must have some pretty hefty deer in Norway!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Smilerwell they are the same size as all red stags in europe but i will use the rifle for all types of hunting from beaver to bear!

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aha, so the designation "deer rifle" does not catch the entire spectrum of game this will be used for. That makes sense. The .300 Wby is a formidable caliber (if one can shoot it), but probably more suited to heavy game than roe, say. I like the MkV action, it is very smooth and the safety is very positive.

I'll allow myself to nitpick with you on one issue, though. Your signature gives the impression you are involved in a commercial hunting operation. That probably makes you aware of significant differences in red deer size as you move through Europe. If not, come to Hungary, say, and see if the red deer there are the same size as in Norway. Hunting them in either location is probably associated with the same pleasure, though.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
The rifle will trawel a lot to Africa.....for plainsgame.But will hunt a lot of deer in denmark,sweden,germany,polen,estonia.... and ofcourse Norway SmilerHungary have heard a lot of the wery good hunting going on there! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the .300 Wby was traditionally a tool for the traveling hunter.

Btw, if you are familiar with red deer in Poland or Estonia, I'll rest my case regarding difference in size as you move across the Continent.

Good luck with your new rifle.

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a "Yank", I'm not familiar with the size differences in Red Deer across Europe.

In North America, as a generalization, the further from the equator you travel, the larger a given species tends to grow; i.e., whitetail deer in Texas generally have smaller bodies than those found in Maine or Alberta.

So, do European deer generally follow this rule, or are other environmental factors at work?

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, as a general rule the further south and east you go, the bigger the Reds get.

I saw Reds in Croatia last year which were just huge.

Hungary also has massive Reds.

The deer on Scotland for eg are pretty small, I can't speak of Scandanavia as I don't know about those.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
Stonecreek, as a general rule the further south and east you go, the bigger the Reds get.

That is it. I'm constantly amazed at the difference in size in reds (as well as other species) I see when I compare Hungary to other places I have hunted. Over a period of 6-8 years I hunted reds in the Austrian Alps, a yearling there approaches the size of a December calf in Hungary. It is all about availability of food, "growing season" etc.

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice working rifle - it'll put the biggest red stag in Europe on the deck pretty quickly, regardless of growing seasons Cool.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
...it'll put the biggest red stag in Europe on the deck pretty quickly, regardless of growing seasons Cool.

I agree with you, and also consider the big .300s an excellent choice for (big) red stag. But you would be surprised to find how many professional hunters in Hungary actually prefer clients to bring calibers from 8mm and upwards. The .30 calibers are considered on the marginal side - as opposed to the "Teutonic" standards such as 8x68S or 9.3x64 etc.

- mike

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
Even in the UK there is a huge difference in the size of Red deer.

In the Highlands of Scotland 40Kg larder weight is a big mature hind where as down in Thetford 70Kg larder weight is not unusual for a calf.

The 243 is more than up to the task though

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJM:

In the Highlands of Scotland 40Kg larder weight is a big mature hind where as down in Thetford 70Kg larder weight is not unusual for a calf.

Dave, that is a good point which I was going to say, the south and east rule even applies within the UK. Devon has some huge Reds also.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
quote:
Originally posted by DJM:

Dave, that is a good point which I was going to say, the south and east rule even applies within the UK. Devon has some huge Reds also.

Good points, which illustrate the effect of year round moderate climate and ready access to food sources.

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Donner,

Nice looking Boomer, I wish you much Waidmannsheil with it!

Guys,

Magnum Ho & Magnum Hmmmh .... Yeah the 300 Witherbee is alot of cartridge, for some; others not.

Personally; I can't believe I waited so long in my life to finally discover the "Wonderfullness" of this cartridge.

It's not something you take to the range just to sling lead downrange with but rather to confirm zero with 3-5 rounds (because after 3 rounds the barrel is REAL hot!) and put it back in the gunslip.

I shot 11 Red Deer (all in The Fatherland) with the 300 Witherbee last season, 4 Stags, the remaining 7 Hinds & Calves. Each dropped in their tracks as if poleaxed - Whew! Pretty impressive perfomance IMO. To me it's some kinda "magic" smokepole.

I was always a .30/06 Sprg. kinda Guy and later in life have caught a good case of Magnumitis. Keep it sighted-in for 300 meters and it is easy to hit with at the distance, too.

Helluva cartridge.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote