New
Find
Notify
Tools

time on hands
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
we have made a conscious decision after several events to close the smokehouse.We will be taking a fishing holiday to the Gambia in Feb and after will be looking for some wildboar shooting in Europe, not looking for big tuskers just run of the mill hogs,any suggestions would be much appreciated.

regards

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Going to the Cz Rep on the 4th January. I'll let you know when I get back.

Though, I think the season finishes most places in late February.

Regards

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Claret_Dabbler,
hope you have a good and successful time!
what caliber are you using? I intend to use my 264 winmag, hope its enough gun!
Are there any restrictions on using a mod in Europe? I refuse to shoot without one, my hearing is shot after years of abuse and whats left I would like to keep.

regards

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is good boar hunting here in the CZ, but the proffered method is with a shotgun shooting slugs. Almost all the pig hunting is done in forest with dogs. A long shot would be 35 yards so slugs work well and don’t sail as far as a rifle bullet threw the woods if you miss. I would recommend a nice double barrel 12 gauge suitable for shooting slugs and large buckshot.

Many of the hunts over here are combination, so it will be boar, fox and rabbit all on the same outing. Some hunters over here will fill one barrel with a slug for boar and the other with BBs to handle the fox/rabbit side of things. I’ve tried doing that and it seemed to work fine for me.

Cheers,

Rich

posted Hide Post
griff,

You'll need to do a bit of careful research on calibers as I think some countries in Europe have a minium of either .270 or .280 for boar depending where you are..I think Germany is one of these??

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Griff, I am taking my 270, stoked with handloaded 150gr nosler partitions. I have also changed my scope to a S&B 3-12x50 with an illuminated reticule.

Format is two nights in a high seat and three days driven.

I have never been on a trip like this before and I am really looking froward to it.

We looked at several options in Hungary Poland and Czech Rep before settling on CZ. None of the organisers we spoke to mentioned shotguns, all assumed we would shoot rifles.

The other two guys are bringing 308's. I am working on the basis you pee with the willy you've got.

Will report in due course.

Regards

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote