Notify
Tools

Shooting in Ireland
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi all,

I'm looking at a few days shooting in the West Of Ireland again this winter, but I want to take my own gun with me. does anyone know what the process is to take a shotgun out to Ireland, (Republic). I'll be probably Flyingon BA from Gatwick so that should make life easier than messing on a ferry.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Kiri, you need to send a copy of your Euro pass to your host. He will apply on your behalf to the local Garda Inspector for a 12 month license. This will be for the specific gun you intend to use, rather than for everything on your ticket. Should be painless and done in a month.

Flying into Dublin with guns is painless, but be very careful and watch the carrosels as your gun case is very likely to appear with the rest of the luggage. This has happened to me twice now.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Claret,

Thanks for that. How does it work at my hosts end? does he have to have land for me to shoot over or does he have to involve the landowner over whose ground we are shooting?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Not exactly sure Kiri.

If your host has shooting rights for the ground, he should be able to get the permit. However, if he is shooting on ground to which he has only "casual" permission (which will be the case about 90% of the time), he may need to get the landowner to sign off on this for you.

The Gaurds will guide him on what is necessary.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:

The Gaurds will guide him on what is necessary.

Tears of laughter stream down my face !
However what CD says is correct on the permissions.Firearms now [usually] arrive at the Servisair desk in the arrivals hall in Dublin Airport. You then have to clear it with Customs.
A major pain in the arse if you do not have your Irish Firearms certificate with you !So don,t forget it.It is valid from date of issue to 31st of July.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote