New
Find
Notify
Tools

BIG FALLOW STAG!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just on dark today I bagged a big fallow stag I have been hunting for 3 years in a row.
He is no longer in his glory days, the trophy has gone a little downhill as I'd estimate him at around 9 years old.
Tomorrow I will cape him out, take some photos and check his teeth for and exact age.
Just for the details I took him with a Sauer 202 in .243win.
I think this caliber is a little light for fallow deer, as I have found them to be somewhat toughter than boar in many cases, so I opted for a spine shot at about 60meters after a short stalk.
Very good day today!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations EXPRESS,
I can't wait to see your photos!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Express

Great. Where in Italy were you hunting?

A 243 sounds like a tidy no fuss rifle for fallow to me, with 100 gr bullets.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I know, Nitro, in Australia a lot of people use a 243 for fallow, but I believe that the fallow here are a bit bigger and a lot toughter.
Once I shot a spiker 3(Browning BAR) times with a 30-06 behind the shoulder and into the ribcage, he must have made 600 - 700 meters.
In any case I like the Sauer 202 rifle no matter what the caliber and consequently shoot well with it. I try to take out bone when in doubt.

I took this deer on my property in Tuscany,
I'll try to post some pictures, or better yet find someone I can send them to for posting...

Seeyalater

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Near what town in Tuscany?

Lovely place to hunt. Hope you enjoy a nice Chianti Classico or even better a Brunello with your venison.

Email on the way.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Congratulations mate, well done.

Bakes

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro I am near Siena, and you're right about the wines...

<Sika>
posted
Can't wait to see the pics.
Are fallow native to the area? I don't know where the species originally came from, but would love to bag one. Call me strange, but I think they're some of the most attractive antlers found on a deer. Very impressive.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Sika

Fallow deer, their latin designation being dama dama originated in Persia (modern Iran).

There is still a very distinct species of Fallow there which I believe is smaller but I am not sure of what other differences there are.

I do not know when the species was introduced into Italy but I know the Ancient Romans introduced the species to Great Britain and I believe Central Europe.

I agree with you that the species is very beautiful especially the Menil colour which is the white dots on a red/brown skin/hair background (I have about 50 of these on my property) . They also come in brown, black and white vatiations.

The Palmated antlers are fantastic and very distinctive. Moose of course are the largest deer species with palmation. There are some other species with lesser palmation but I think fallow and moose (caribou?) have the most.

Get one on your wall!

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
Hi there EXPRESS
did you get my email.
Congratulation on your stag

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote