New
Find
Notify
Tools

6x45 aka 6mm/223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody here have any experience with this wildcat?I have a Sako 75 in 222 which I am planning to re-barrel to 6x45.Intended use to include roe,fox,crows and beaver.thinking about Sierra 85grs for deer and Nosler BT 70grs for anything else.If anyone has load data or any experience with this cartridge it would be good to hear from you!Thanks Toby.

Posts: 58 | Location: Oslo,Norway | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toby, I don't know if you have seen the data on this site??

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

You need to select Load Type = rifle and Cartridge = 6x45mm.

reloadersnest.com also has some data, but not nearly as extensive as the Hodgdon site.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably alot of American Riflemen would be happy to have an unaltered Sako rifle in it's original chambering the .222 Remington.

Appears to me that the Republic of South Africa hunters seem to have 6x45 expereince; you might ask there for their expereince(s).

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a Swedish hunter who used to post on here that had one on an older Sako. He was very pleased with it.

Hornady has 6x47 data from a 26" barrel. I will try to search out an article from Magnum magazine for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I you're going to wildcat anyway, I would suggest going to the 6x47 (6mm-.222 Magnum). The brass is not as plentiful or cheap as the .223, but it is neither scarce nor particularly expensive. The Magnum's longer neck leaves you more to work with in the 6mm and a tad extra case capacity also.

If your rifle were a pristine L461, then I would have some hesitation in rebarreling it, but rebarreling a Model 75 wouldn't bother me.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Alot of South African shoot the 6x45. I think PMP makes the brass and Truevelo builds the guns. I have seen the guns and read alot about the round it seems your description is exactly what the 6x45 was designed for. I have thought about having a rifle built also in that round

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email Magnum Magazine in SA and get the relvant back-issues posted to you.

They have run quite a few articles about the 6x45 and have load data, building rifles, hunting experience etc etc.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the replies so far!

Posts: 58 | Location: Oslo,Norway | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote