Tools

Back to Austria
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The deposit is paid to the Outfitter.

Now, the plane tickets are bought.

Red Stag for me. My wife gets Vienna.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
You gonna love Vienna
Where is your stag hunt? Region?

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We do live Vienna.

We are staying in the same hotel and same room we stayed in the first 2 times we went.

Austria has been out favorite place.

The Region is Miesenbach.

In Vienna we stay in Hotel Konig von Ungarn, Wien.

September 21 and leave to come back home on the 30th.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
I was just there
We hunted in Turkey

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool.

How did you find Turkey? It recent turn to more fundamental regime has me worried about it.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Joshua's 2023 stag hunt. He can add details.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well done! clap

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made it to N KY with all bags, including rifle and ammunition.

Can’t say enough good about Gracey Travel. I want to dog cuss AirFrance as usual. However, getting out of there w everything you brought is a blessing that one does not reject. I shall rejoice.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Made it to N KY with all bags, including rifle and ammunition.

Can’t say enough good about Gracey Travel. I want to dog cuss AirFrance as usual. However, getting out of there w everything you brought is a blessing that one does not reject. I shall rejoice.

Air France absolutely sucks.Glad you had a good hunt.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
To Europe with Delta and through Amsterdam 99% of the time
London…disaster
Paris…disaster

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always been told stay away from connecting through Amsterdam w firearms.

I can navigate AirFrance. It is just choppy water.

I went through 5 security checkpoints coming home at CDG.

The AirFrance baggage lady in Austria put my rifle and Ammo case on the Wife’s ticket. She would not change it. This required us to pay an extra overweight bag fee, and confused the Hell out of everyone else bc my ticket was showing the declared rifle and ammunition, but now those items were on her ticket. No one checking tickets knew how to handle that.

The AirFrance baggage lady did not check me all the way through. First time that has happened. A red shirt at the gate fixed that with little issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truth be told, other than anxiety because the Dutch government folks don’t do the gun permits until close to the date, I’ve never had an issue with Amsterdam- but I also use Gracy, so it seems plugged in.

When I flew through DeGaulle, it was vey easy and while I had to pull out my old high school French vocabulary, making that effort made the Air France folks more than happy to help- I didn’t see any of the “arrogant French” except to a Texan who was literally abusive in his behavior.

Seeing guys with SMG’s and assault rifles wandering around as guards was new to me there, as a culture shock, but now I see guys with AR’s in the USA, so go figure.

Good to hear you had a good hunt. Maybe someday I will try Europe, but the short durations always have been offputting.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
European hunts are great and I have been using loaner guns so that has been a non issue for me as nowadays traveling with guns is at least cumbersome and also adds extra costs that you can use for rifle hire and other things
Europe is definitely destination for at least couple of weeks and you can do couple different hunts or just hunt and sightseeing
DeGaulle airport just seems bit confusing
IMO best to travel with couple of carry ons and that makes everything so much easier

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austria itself is very good about firearms. Customs guys did not even open the case.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Josh, Nice stag! Waidmannsheil!

Been thru Paris a number of times and never an issue, never been thru Amsterdam. One day.

Not hijacking your post but cannot believe that Dr Butler has NEVER hunted Europe! Charles you need to come soon and change that !!! Really !!

Again Josh, great stag, congratulations.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Charlie. This Stag will always be very special to me. I wish I had got a photo of his teeth. They looked like they had been dipped in gold, with black onyx swirling.

AirFrance problems are fine on the booking side the “problems” always come on getting home. The first bag check lady placed all the bags on my wife’s ticket. This despite my ticket having the firearm declared upon it w forms per AirFrance policy. She also did not check me all the way through to final destination.

Checking the rifle as my wife’s bag required me to pay 249 Euros for an extra bag (It have her 3 bags). It also confused the sanity out of everyone once we got to Paris bc I was shooting the declared well , but now it is my wife’s bag. I told the bag/ticket AirFrance lady in Vienna the rifle case was my bag. She would not listen or did it on purpose.

We also fly with some kind of express checking, but Air France did not open until 10:00 am. That did not affect me much bc I learned the first time to do at least 3 hours between flights w AirFrance/CDG. A lot of folks missed their flights and had to be redirected.

The other issue is the 5 security checks and the sheer size of CDG. Again, you just have to give yourself enough time and expect a delay cutting into your time getting to the gate. My opinion, 3 hours is a minimum.

First time I delegated flights to a bad agent. We were booked 45 minutes through CDG. Nope, did not make that plane, and cost me 3k Euros to get going.

I have never had a AirFrance personal or CDG give me attitude. Well, the first time there was one.

In Paris itself, yes a few “ French” French folks.

Now, the Delta bad lady was very nice, but stupid. She insisted that I open the ammo case. Her boss was telling her not to, but she insisted. I gave her the key to the lock. She dropped into the bowels of the underground conveyor belt system.

Luckily, when I got to the hotel in Austria, they let me into the maintenance office where I found a bench grinder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stag Joshua. Congrats, you did very well. I trust Mrs Heym enjoyed her share of the holiday time also ?
Almost reads like you received more adventure on the travel legs than on the actual hunt Big Grin
I predict your trophy will look spectacular once you find it's place on the wall.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She had a wonderful time. She is a trooper and was with me every step of the way.

She got her hunting done at Louis Vuitton.

Food was amazing everywhere we went.

It is by far my favorite place. The others were good, but this is always special. Maybe bc it was our first trip.

Covid did get one of our favorite restaurants in Vienna.

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Josh, Nice stag! Waidmannsheil!

Been thru Paris a number of times and never an issue, never been thru Amsterdam. One day.

Not hijacking your post but cannot believe that Dr Butler has NEVER hunted Europe! Charles you need to come soon and change that !!! Really !!

Again Josh, great stag, congratulations.

Absolutely agree with that and visa versa as Europeans don’t hunt much in NA

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
She had a wonderful time. She is a trooper and was with me every step of the way.

She got her hunting done at Louis Vuitton.

Food was amazing everywhere we went.

It is by far my favorite place. The others were good, but this is always special. Maybe bc it was our first trip.

Covid did get one of our favorite restaurants in Vienna.

Always always have to have Wiener schnitzel