THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    London Gun and Clothes Shopping Recommendations

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

London Gun and Clothes Shopping Recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I travel to Ireland every 3 months for work.

I'm thinking of stopping in London next time and staying down where all of the gunmakers and clothiers are located.

I'm really interested in some good quality traditional field jackets.

What do you recommend? It appears that Cordings and William Evans have a nice selection. Anyone else?

My wife and I have also been watching the Kirby Allison series "From Suit to Shoot" on YouTube. Fascinating. He had a 5 piece made at Henry Poole on Savile Row. We are both tempted to do the same, just don't know how much use we'd get out of it. But the jacket he had would work well in non-shooting settings. I'd feel obligated to really hone my scatter gun skills if I had a get-up made.

Has any dined at the H&H shooting grounds or done any of their events? I assume there might be some difficulty in a foreign visitor doing one of their shoots? Or can they arrange that?

BTW - I was in Cork the first week of September and got a pair of Hunter rubber boots and a waxed long field coat for a song compared to the pricing in the US. $65 for the field coat and half the US price on the boots.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Farlows on the Mall is always worth a visit - good traditional shooting clothing and accessories. Interestingly Orvis has a store just around the corner. Then there are the usual H&H, Purdey, Evans et all. Rigbys always an interesting visit and Marc Newton is a true gentleman.

I have shot at the Holland ground a few times and lunched there once. Sat in the rotunda on my own ! Not recommended. But you can easily book a couple of hours of clay shooting / lessons there most days.

If I were you I would hang a day on and book a days stalking for muntjac around London!

Enjoy!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Are muntjacs year around?

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Yes,muntjac are open all year.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Thank you!

Are muntjacs year around?

When will you be in London next? I can offer you Muntjac stalking within an hour of London.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Don't have definitive plans yet, but sounds like late fall and early in the year is best.

Is it possible to hunt muntjac, water deer, and roe deer all on the same estate or near each other?

Assume the estates for rifles for use, .243 or something light?

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Don't have definitive plans yet, but sounds like late fall and early in the year is best.

Is it possible to hunt muntjac, water deer, and roe deer all on the same estate or near each other?

Assume the estates for rifles for use, .243 or something light?

Thanks!

You can hunt Muntjac males and females, Chinese Water Deer males and females and Roe females all on the same hunt and within close proximity of each other.

Chinese Water Deer m&f season runs from November 1st to March 31st
Muntjac m&f No closed season
Roe females runs from November 1st to March 31st

November, December, January and into February is a good time.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Most of the interesting shops are around the Mayfair and St James’s area. Cordings were past their best 15 years ago, sadly. Pompous assistants and mass produced clothes.

I recently had a traditional shooting suit made at Dashing Tweeds on Dorset Street. Highly recommended! Small tweed maker who mainly makes for the film industry, and a select few. Not too much money either. All bespoke.
Dashingtweeds.co.uk

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote