Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser "Success thumbhole"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted

Just when I thought the bastards were done robbing me of every dime I own.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seth, other than being the "latest and greatest", what attracts you to the thumbhole stock?? I could well imagine it would be good to shoot in a range situation - the thumbhole probably offers a lot of control over the gun. If you look at the design, I wonder if the lowered forearm is intended for off-hand shooting, that would probably work well with a thumbhole. Sadly, stocks like this are not allowed in our hunter competitions. In the field, thumbholes are supposed to be a bit slow to use.

We have a one handed guy who occasionally shoots on our range, and he shoots a (custom) thumbhole stocked Blaser. It helps him control the rifle with just one hand. He actually does surprisingly well from the bench.

The custom thumbhole Blaser stocks I have seen, have all come from a smith in the Swiss Canton of Schwyz. He starts out by canabalizing an Offroad stock for the (internal) metal parts, and then inlets these into the one-piece wooden stock. I often see such canabalized Offroad stocks for sale of eGun, and have wondered what people use the remaining synthetic shell for. I don't think Blaser will sell spare parts??

I wonder how robust a thumbhole stock like this would be??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I recon I like the thumbhole because of the amount of recoil that it soaks up.

I had thought of building a R93 synthetic into a laminate thumbhole many times.

Still a consideration.

I am in the process of having a 358 Norma built on a fiberglass stocked thumbhole Ruger tang safety M77. Number 5 fluted 25 inch barrel. Should be a good thumper.

That Blaser thumbhole would help on those 338s I like to shoot.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any plans for the K95 Big Grin Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't normally go for Blasers, but that's a nice stock. " of my rifles have thumbhole stocks. I find them very comfortable to use. I certainly don't find them slow to use in the field. I think they put your hand in a much more natural position. They do seem to relieve recoil as well.

the nut behind the butt

Posts: 135 | Location: Somerset | Registered: 15 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I like is that they are making a .22LR , .22 Mag and a .17 conversion Kits
for the R93.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote