Notify
Tools

AR Weekend Roundup
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi everyone,

As has been reported the weekend has been a tremendous success not only as far as the number of beasts put in the chiller, (52deer +1 Fox at last count), but also the good humour, and general atmosphere of kindered spirits. It was a pleasure to share your company for the weekend.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words on the forum and in person. To see everyone enjoying themselves and having a good time really makes it all worth doing, and we'll be on for another weekend next year so watch this space.

I also would like to thank all the participants on the way they conducted themselves. As I'm sure you can imagine, playing host to a load of shooting freinds that you've never met before can be a nervous proposition where shooting ability and ethics are concerned. I can honestly say that to put over 50 beasts in the chiller without a single problem is a feat you should all be commended on.

Beyond that I think what we are really after is a couple of photo's... Smiler (There is a caption competition on its way!!) but just for starters:

After some debate as to whether or not it was a buck or not I was informed what is apparently a distinguishing feature... You can imagine the comments after that!!

This is the seat I was sat in on Saturday mng. I shot a fallow buck walking under those trees at the end of the white grass with the 308.

The Sun coming up about 10 mins after I'd shot the fallow. As I turned round from taking these photo's out of the back of the high seat a munty was below my seat and proceded to run as far away as it could!!

My First ever Muntjac

One of many similar scenes outside of the larder each day

Paul who runs GAP 180 entertaining the troops with some german hunting songs that I think he makes up as he goes along. In Fact I'm quite sure some of it isn't even german!!

The overflow after 2 outings that wouldn't fit into the chiller.

The Group Photo

I have more photo's to post in the next couple of days

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic weekend! big thanks to Paul, Kiri, Ian and everyone else who helped run the event! It was 1 of the best weekends shooting I've ever have, and my 1st Munty aswell, roll on next year! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thanks and congratulations to all as well!
A very enjoyable trip, great atmosphere, good fun, food and fellowship!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
A few more pics

Anyone want to put a caption on his one?

And this one....

"I don't think anyone's watching..."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and so good to finally meet up with the other members of AR.

The guys did a fantastic job in making it all run smoothly and putting on a first class hunt.

Many many thanks go to Paul M, Kiri, Ian, Artemis, and all the guys who drove us around, transported the deer and got stuck in with the gralloching! Well done.

Great hunting, superb food, and fantastic company - what more could you possibly want!

Looking forward to AR Weekend 2009.

Nige.

Posts: 78 | Location: Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
Kiri,

I know why Griff is pulling that face, Sorry Chris, no offence was intended but your "tipple" was to my taste buds deffinately an acquired taste!!! Frowner

But if thats what you drink, it cerainly had the effect of bringing the deer out infront of you, which you expertly dealt with.

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kiri.
I only see small red crosses instead of pictures Confused

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did I give Griff some of my Bäsk?

Solvi, me and a few others liked it, like I and you say it´s an acquired
taste, or rather that you have had worse and not shy away easily.

Kiri, Ian, Jo Paul M, Ian, Artemis all others that just did a spectacular jobb, before and during our outings.

Company, weather, food was exellent.

Still did miss out on a fallow so I for one will be back next year.

Best regards from a Sweden and Stockholm were spring has finaly arrived/Chris

QUOTE]Originally posted by nightwalker uk:
Kiri,

I know why Griff is pulling that face, Sorry Chris, no offence was intended but your "tipple" was to my taste buds deffinately an acquired taste!!! Frowner

But if thats what you drink, it cerainly had the effect of bringing the deer out infront of you, which you expertly dealt with.[/QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW here is a pic from the sunday outing,

I belive that some of you others were still in bed at that time?

The dot in the grass between the trees in the far is the Muntjac.

And a pic of my first kill in Baldock, I think Ian might have a better pic of it in his camera.

I am sorry about the poor pics but they are from my mobilephone camera.

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
It was a great weekend. Unfortunately, I did not manage to get one of the "hot" highseats during the weekend, but the size of the nads on the buck I did shoot made up for this... Wink

Kiri, you need to share the receipe for the cold smoked venison. I know you told me on Saturday night, but I can't remember. I wonder why?

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
clap

well done chaps! Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend, oh and grassing 52 bucks ! shocker

More stories! archer

Best regards,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Well I'm sat in the office with nothing doing so I thought I'd write up a bit of the hunt as I saw it for the benefit of those that were not there.

It all started as scheduled on Friday with some pretty rotten weather. The wind was really blowing and the rain was coming down in enough ammounts to make it's presence felt. The feeling was that if we continued like that then we would be in for a weekend of food, drink and banter but no more than that.

After the obligatory sdafety speech by Paul and a list of do's and do not's, everyone was clear on what was expected of them. Ian took on the range duties and proceeded to get everyone through the range in double quick time, with good shooting evident accross the board. I had my father in law Dave with me as an observer for the weekend so I put him in the seat and handed him the 243. After a brief description of the working parts of a centrefire rifle and some safety issues he shot his first ever shots through a rifle. The 3 shots were grouped at about 1.5" which was good eenough for me, considering his second and third shots were about half a centimeter apart. The decision was made that if a fallow presented itself in a suitable fashion and was not spooked then he would get a chance of a shot from the high seat.

After everyone had been allocated a group and a guide we went out on Friday evening. I was sat up with Dave and Gerry was to one side of a wood opposite me. Down in the far corner I think AlexY (bad memory already!!) was sat up with the guide. At 5-45 a fallow tried to walk behind the seat and spotted us. as she spooked she ran back up the hill 20yds, and came out into the feild, where she stopped to see what we were. A quick shot from the 308 and I had my first deer of the weekend, not to mention a rather excited father in law!! to more fallow came out at the shot and made their way accross me to sto about 140yds in front of the seat. I was fairly sure they would present a shot to one of the other guys so I left them to see which way they would go. As it happened they went down the hillt o Alex where he added another to the teams tally. about half an hour later another shot sounded from Alex, but nothing was visible from out position. Shortly after a Munty was moving about behind the seat we were in. I moved a little too suddenly and spooked him, so he proceeded to make his way down the feild and accroos the bottome to where Alex was. He quickly became number 4. With the light running out on us we decided to get down from the seat, only to find that another 6 fallow wer out on the wheat just out of sight. They made their way towards Gerry without once cmoing off of the sky line to present a shot. So it was cback to the ranch.

When we got back feeling a little smug we couldn't believe it when the final tally for the evening was 25 deer. After all the gralloching was done and dinner eaten, we turned in for a couple of hours sleep before getting up for a morning session.

The morning dawned dry and fairly clear, although there was a noticable fall in temperature. At least that's what I thought but our new scandinavian freinds thought I was being a bit of a wimp... Wink

Just after first light a Fallow made his way accross the wheat feild onto the whiete grass in the photo above. I ranged him at 135 and given there was no point in waiting the 308 came up and number two was in the bag as I saw him react and dissapear behind the hedgeon the left. I didn't see him come out of the other side so I figered he was down. A minute later and a fallow walke back from the hedge and onto the white grass. Thinking I was in for another, I put the binos down and picked up the rifle only to find that he was the same buck who was now down on the ground. Somewhat concerned I called paul who told me to shoot him again if he got up, but in the event it was not necessary. The gralloch revealed the shot was spot on, he just hadn't been at the pre shoot talk to be told the rules of what he was supposed to do in the even of getting shot... As it happens it seems the range fiinder was mistaken as when I ranged the buck again he was 200yds away. THis is a problem I have had with the Swaro over the last few months that I have had it, and I'm thinking of sending it back to get it looked at once the season is over.

Over the next hour I saw 2 more munties and heard several shots, although no more presented themselves to me. Then a third Munty buck turned up accross the feild from me. I could see he was respectable and given I had never shot muntjac before I was keen to make him my first. hhe decided to cross the wheat level with my position so as he came closer and closer I needed to stop him. At about 40yds he stopped to a cough and I had my first Muntjac buck. I've caped him off and may get him mounted as he has been a long time coming.

When we got back to the lodge we wer greeted with a few deer and the news that Puntgunner had shot 7 fallow until he ran out of ammo. at which point a fox turned up and started gnawing at one of the deer and he had no ammo left to shoot it with!! Suddently any 6.5 sweeding ammo became very expensive in Hertfordshire!!

Saturday passed with a mixture of sleep, playing on the range and sorting some food out, before heading out again for an evening session. Dave was with me again so after a short tour of the Chiller and a description of deer anatomy, and shot choice we mad our way out with Gerry and 9.3 Nige. We were inside a wood for the first time but it just didn't feel right. Shooting light inside the wood was gone a bit earlier than the outside seats so at 6-55 we got down from the seat in the hopt that some fallow would be out on the wheat next to the wood. As we stepped out there was nothign out but we decided to wait it out. Not 30 seconds later a buck walked out about 350yds away making his way to the corner of the field below our position I tried to get a bit closer and put the rifle on the bipod instructing dave to get behid the rifle. He couldn't find the deer in the half light and wasn't really sure what he was looking for. I decided there and then that this wasn't the ideal conditions we were lookingfor for his first shots at live quarry so I called a halt. I could see the buck through the binos behind a pile of brush, so I decided to put a stalk on him alone, having got clearence in advance from the guide. I crawled up the track using what cover there was until I got to about 60 yds. At this point I couldn't see much of the animal so I decided to jump him and shoot if he stopped to look back. at 30yds there was to much animal in the scope to get any closer, so a bit of noise go him out on the track to see what was going on. as he stopped bradside the 243 dropped him in his tracks.

So my weekends shooting finished with me covered in mud and snot with a VERY excited father in law who now knew what buck fever was!!

When we got back Solvi had 3 fallow down and there were a number of others kicking about. thanks again to Nightwalker (I think) who gralloched my deer for me spo I could go and get changed. I don;t think he would have been so willing if dinner wasn't at stake!! Wink

Dinner that evening was great fun. After eating we settled down to celebrate Brian and Sam's 52nd birthdays... Anyway the scotch, (ahem, Bushmills Wink ) came out and 3 loind of cold smoked venison quickly evaporated in a haze of whiskey and cigars.

Given we already had 45-48 deer in the chiller many decided they needed some beauty sleep (not wrong) so we stayed up a bit and forsaked the morning stalk. It was a great evening and better company. We told stories and enjoyed the craic. When the whiskey ran out we headed home at the end of the lane and got some much needed sleep in.

As at the end of Sunday mornign stalking, (for the dedicated few that made it out), we had 52 beasts in the chiller. The split was roughly even between fallow and Munties, and only 2 munties warranting some additional fees, (but several better ones seen and passed on.)

Pete and Gerry had blanked but although PeteE was back to Wales Gerry was going out for a Chinese Water Deer in the afternoon so the taly may well be 53 by now!!

Some good Fallow heads had been seen with one claimed to have been a gold medal. None were shot.

I'm sure many different stories could be told about the weekend and we'll be dining out on it for a while, but one thing is for sure. Watch this space for the AR 2009 Stalking weekend. I've already had a couple of conversations about how we can make it a even better.

On behalf of everyone here I would also like to say thankyou to Saeed for for his generosity in providing the site that makes such things possible.

Best regards,
Kiri

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
It was a great weekend. Unfortunately, I did not manage to get one of the "hot" highseats during the weekend, but the size of the nads on the buck I did shoot made up for this... Wink

Kiri, you need to share the receipe for the cold smoked venison. I know you told me on Saturday night, but I can't remember. I wonder why?

Brian,

I really couldn't possibly give away my trade secrets on such matters as I'll end up becoming despensible for future gatherings....

If we manage to get a days fishing in the west then I'll try and fetch some with me, otherwise you'll need to bring more scotch with you to Baldock next year to loosen my tongue!!

Rgds,
K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds fantastic, envy, envy, envy!

I was in Ethiopia over this period, but would love to be part of proceedings next year.

ATB

G

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
[
Brian,

I really couldn't possibly give away my trade secrets on such matters as I'll end up becoming despensible for future gatherings....

If we manage to get a days fishing in the west then I'll try and fetch some with me, otherwise you'll need to bring more scotch with you to Baldock next year to loosen my tongue!!

Rgds,
K

Kiri, will swap one bottle of Bushmills 10 year old Single Malt for the receipe for the cold smoked vension.

And it's Irish Whiskey, not Scotch Whisky.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done too all concerned in bringing together sucessfully what sounds a cracking weekend of cameraderie!

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Trans

That's one thing I didn't mention in my thread of gratitude - it was the camaraderie that made the weekend.

Cheers

JB

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone

Just thought I would post the pics that I took.

Saturday morning in the tree house high seat as the sun was coming up behind me.

Kim was diagonally to my right looking cold and Gerry over the hill up and to my left.

View out to the right

Saturday evening in a German style seat with Artemis. Nearly got a shot off at a Munty doe but she didn't present a broadside op.

Hope these pics work.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Have messed up on one of the pics. This is the German style seat on Sat night

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That stand looks just outright cosy, how come us, as in I a scandinavian was just being put up in open stands facing the wind? Wink

J- Nice pics and a good shot.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Nice one Chris

Yes it was a case of 3 bells and the bonus ball when I found out I was not going to freeze to death (slight dramatisation on my part).

Also, the time zapped by as Artemis and me put the world to rights.

Cheers

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post

"me, caught in the ladies dorm at midnight, BINGO"

"now listen everyone, animals on the cull list are fallow, muntjac and new born ferrets, of the latter, here's one I gralloched earlier"

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Posted 31 March 2008 22:26 Hide Post

"me, caught in the ladies dorm at midnight, BINGO"
animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did no one tell Griff there was a web cam in the toilet?

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
Is the look on Griff's face the result of him tasting; not what he thought was a slice of one of Kiri's smoked and cured back straps, but in fact a dog turd that the pointer had done and Paul had popped on a plate.....?

Oh yes Jon, what a fancy highseat you got with Artemis - its not what you know...apparently Husqvarna you cannot see the heater and padded seats but I remember Jon saying it was very comfortable!! Big Grin

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
Well, what can I say but... WOW!!!

What a fantastic weekend and a great bunch of people to share it with.

The tally... yep 52 beasties plus a fox! Although Brian has to add his 'wee' rabbit to that score too.
I'm sure he mentioned something about getting it shoulder mounted! Big Grin

So much more than we could have hoped for especially considering the weather forecasts.

A huge thanks to Kiri, our resident 'golden gourmet' who can make me a bacon sandwich any day!
BTW... how is the ketchup mountain doin Kiri?

Thanks to everyone for making it one of the best shooting weekends.
Can't wait til 'AR 2009 - The Return'

Jon, I think we did a fine job and the world is now a better place I'm sure!!! rotflmo

Regards to all, Jo thumb

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

Posts: 88 | Location: Sunny Devon, UK | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jo, rabbit??

Don't be cruel about my buck.

He was at least as big as a decent sized hare, and he was hung like a donkey...
Cool

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hey,

The Ketchup mountain is still rather large!!

I've already made some changes to next years format namely that upon arrival we will issue everyone with the Kiri and Claret Menu. A bottle of bushmills and a loin of smoked venison!! Should go down pretty well I rekon. Of course we'll still have the sausages.... Wink

It's amazing what passes for a set of cohones in the north...

Rgds,
K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys & Gals,

I'd like to add a huge, hearty "Waidmannsheil" for an absolutely superb AR Weekend!

Many, many Thanks to Kiri for his Weekend organizational leadership, infecious enthusiasm and culinary skills. Also to all the AR Weekend participants and support staff who contributed directly & indirectly during the course of the weekend with myriads of BIG & little tasks & chores that made this hunting weekend a huge success. It goes again to prove that Hunters are the best group of folks in the World and this Weekend went to prove that beyond any doubt with everyone's helpful suggestions, generosity, assistance, commeradeship and delightful hunting banter & humour.

Oh, Yes, I did finally manage a contribution to the Grand Tally; make it 53 Deer +1 Fox by collecting a very fine Chinese Water Deer Buck at the last minute of the last day with Neil's expert guiding skills. In the interest of time I'll mention it and as the day progresses attempt my first ever Photo contribution.

The AR Weekend was fantastic fun and it was my great pleasure to meet everyone personally, finally getting to put the personalities & faces together with our AR names.

As Kiri has also mentioned; I'd like to specificaly mention two things. First, Thanks again to Saeed who graciously provides this Forum to provide the catalization for such events. Secondly, the hunting and shooting prowess of the AR Weekend particpants who put 53 Deer in the Cooler with their expert shooting skills without mentionable mishap - outstanding!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This weekend sounds like a defenately WINNER Smiler
Congratulation to you all!
Hopefully I will be able to make it next year.

Anybody else who have problems with Kiris picures? On my PC they are just small red crosses, while the pictures from the other posters are ok...

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi Arild,

If you right click on the red cross and choose properties. Then copy and paste the Url into another browser window you should be able to view the photo's seperately. They are displaying on my computer at work and home so it may be a permission thing on your machine.

Also Try This to see if you can look at the album online.

Best regards,
FB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Kiri, no way I can open the pix or your link. Must be my computer.

Anyway, got some from Chris to droodle over Smiler

Arild Iversen.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Arild,

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you some photo's

Rgds,
K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK,its tuesday this must be america-no fallow or munties in my yard.thanks to all for a fabulous weekend.if y'all will have me back-sign me up for next yr especially if Gerry will keep me from wandering the orbital trying to find Baldock.GREAT shoot with a GREAT bunch of chaps+Jo.Kiri dont try for an encore-this was over the top!you did a fabulous job.thanks again.BEST,kim

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
Arild,

The most likely cause of your problem is that your browser cache is full. Try clearing it. In IE click on Tools menu > Internet Options > Click on Delete Files.

Brian,

Was it not you that came asking if you needed a tag for a certain buck toothed herbivore?
If not then fess up who did as I'm sure I saw Mr bugs! Either that or Kiri's culinary treats could have contained hallucinogenic ingredients!?! dancing

Jo

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jo,

you did indeed see mr rabbit, i confess i did get one on sat evening.

One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
A-haaaaa... Good to know I'm not completely losing my mind! Well, not on this occasion anyway! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of puntgunner
posted Hide Post
Well I suppose it’s about time we all give our personal accounts of the fantastic weekend that some of our clan had the pleasure of sharing.

The weekend started in the usual chaotic state that most of my trips away start.
Last minute packing. Mad dash to the butchers to drop off some venison. Get the car to the garage for a service. Then a leisurely drive North with my shooting buddy , 9.3 Nige.

The chitter chatter of what to expect made the journey shorter than expected.

We pulled up in the car park of the Travel lodge, to be me with a fleet of 4x4 and cammo that would lead the uneducated eye to believe that the army had pulled into town!

A quick introduction to some of the team, a few familiar faces, but most new, filled us with anticipation. The smiling faces and shear joy of the group set the tone for what that would become a memorable occasion.

Once all of the introductions had been done, the convoy left the car park ,on route to the shooting lodge.

The surroundings left many in the group, me included, chomping at the bit Trophies from previous encounters adorned the rafters of the cabin. As the group amassed, conversations started , like kids on a sugar rush, all at the same time . As the talking built to a crescendo, it was suddenly interrupted by a deafening noise.

All went silent.

It was our weekend leader, Paul.

Bringing us all to order, he then began to give us the pre shoot brief. We all sat in awe at the commanding delivery that was given. All were in no doubt that these were rules we had to follow. Or, we would have to face the wrath of Paul !!

Nuff said……….

A simple request to provide FAC and insurance was met by most. But yours truly , having booked his car in for a service some 30 miles away , suddenly realised that all of my documents were in the back of that car !!

A quick explanation, and a frantic drive through torrential rain , found us back at the lodge just as the sky turned blue and the rain stopped.

What more could happen?

Nige and I quickly took the shooting test and joined the rest of the team in the lodge, where talk was all of deer and tactics as the beats were drawn up.

The teams were paired up with their guides, and started to leave. Our time would be soon.

Our guide, Peter, was studying a map. One of the seats on it was marked as, THE HOT SEAT.
Never my luck, I thought. Some lucky bugger was going to get that one.

We set off to Western One, our allocated beat. 9.3 , Solyi and I shared the car and a frantic conversation on route. The quick trip down the motorway soon ended, and we were once again in rolling countryside.

9.3 was the first to be dropped off. We wished him good luck, and then set of to the next seat. I was to be the next drop. How do you think I felt when Peter said the words, “ looks like you’ve drawn the HOT SEAT.â€

Full of anticipation, I listeded to the instructions given. I wished Solvi good luck, and set off to the stand.

The sky was clear, the wind was strong, and I felt blessed.

The walk to the seat took 10 minutes, to make sure that I did not wind the wood it overlooked.

As I settled in the seat, I had a look around. Directly behind the seat, about 300yards away, 2 fallow bucks were coming across the field towards the seat.

HOT SEAT or what !!

Wedging myself in the seat for a solid shot, it was just down to time before they came within range.

The first shot, on the following beast, hit home with a solid broadside shot. Both beasts took off across the field as I reloaded. The following beast soon slowed, staggered, and then fell. The lead beast , not sure what was going on, slowed and looked back.

A loud “ Oi, “ stopped him in his tracks and the second shot of the trip cut him down at 200 yards. Two beasts down in the space of 10 minutes. Fantastic.

I sat back in the seat and had another hour to take in the scene before another opportunity arose.

Down the left hand side of the wood in front of me, a fallen tree lay across the headland. Just in front of it I spied a movement. This time it was not the copious amounts of pheasants that had kept me company , but a slinky chocolate brown form of a muntjac doe.

It never ceases to amaze me how such a small animal can soak up a shot that could feel a red deer ten times its size. The doe jumped back into cover, but I knew the 6.5 Swede had done its job.

Aware that we still had a job on our hands to recover the fallen beasts' before the night became late, I decided to call it a day. As I sat and reflected on what had happened , I noticed a movement directly below the seat.

A very respectable muntjac buck was right below me. He was aware that all was not right. His long tongue flicked around his head as he sampled the air . Head held high as he sniffed, he could smell something was not right.

As he was so close, I could not make use of the estate rail on the seat , and so had to stand up on the top rung of the ladder to gain an angle. He sensed this and started to run. A quick bark stopped him long enough to squeeze of a shot . He crashed into the undergrowth and splash indicated he had fallen into a hidden ditch beyond.

That was enough for me.

Pete and I worked into the darkness to recover the beasts on the quad. They joined another 3 does, taken by 308 Mate, and a munty doe from 9.3, for the journey home.

A frantic larder session back at base followed, as 23 beasts were prepped and tagged.

Hus.98M ( Christian) , had managed to bank a fine muntjac buck , good enough to warrant a fee, as well.

The fantastic feast (for that it was ) , prepared by Kiris and Co., was welcome indeed.

Haunch of Sika, rabbit stew , salad and jacket potatoes were eagerly devoured by all.
Could this get any better.

After the meal , Paul gained our attention as only he can. He allocated the seats for the next morning.

I could not believe it when he asked me if I minded gong back to the same seat. In the dark that we would be setting out in, it would be hard to find if you did not already know where it was.

We decided to ration ourselves to a few small beers before being sent to bed by Paul.

I thought it would be hard to sleep with all the excitement in what was to come. But I managed to have some very strange dreams indeed. I blamed it on the ‘magic mushrooms’ I was sure Kiri had slipped into the rice the night before!!

The rendezvous was at 04:00hrs, back at the lodge. All were present. What a surprise.

Griff , Alex Y and myself were the last team to leave. I was worried that we had left it too late, as the inky darkness was starting to give way to the light on the horizon.

After we had at first dropped Griff , I quickly made off to the hot seat. I followed the same route to the seat as before, and climbed up.

As the early light rose over the horizon, I looked over the back of my high seat towards where the beasts the night before had come. As if by magic, I could see two forms in the half light. Two fallow does were following the same path as the bucks the night before. I quickly made ready and prepared for the wait .

It seemed to take forever as they fed slowly towards me. I again targeted the beast at the back. This time it fell to the shot. The lead deer started off as I swung round to get a bead on it.
Suddenly , it stopped, as it was joined by three bucks that came racing in across the field to join it.
A quick reposition got the shot into the second doe. All four set off across the field, but the doe soon slowed and fell. The buck’s stopped to see what had happened, giving me a chance at a third beast.

The shot hit hope and the beast fell.

The remaining two, in a quandary as to what was happening, set off for the wood.
A huge shout stopped them both

Again, the shot hit home hard. The deer made it to the far side of the wood out of site. I was sure that the last deer was well hit, as the sound of the shot , and the spray of moisture from its coat as it hit home, made me feel sure it had fell.

Trying to collect spent cases and reload the magazine kept me occupied for a minute or two.

Four deer down.

They looked like giant mushrooms dotted across the field in the gaining light. This was almost Freudian in the dreams that I had the night before.

As I came to terms with what had just happened, I noticed that I was not alone.
At the far end of the wood, down wind from my position, I could see three deer immerging from the far end of the wood. The wind was full in their faces and surely had my sent in it. Amazingly, they started to follow the wind up the side of the wood towards me.

Aware that I had to make every shot count , I waited until they had fully committed themselves. The deer started to string out, still smelling the air. The last beast, a doe, started to feed and presented a full side on shot. Down she fell .
The remaining beasts made off for the safety of the centre of the field . Another loud shout stopped them both. This time a young pricket was the last in line.
Down he fell.
Last man, (or doe standing). As she ran round in an arc, another loud shout just stopped her. She turned back to have a look why the rest were not following, and the shot was placed in the engine room. Down she went after a short run.

This was unbelievable.

I now had time to reflect on what has occurred in the last 30 minutes. I looked around and surveyed the fields around me, now dotted with 7 brownish grey humps.

As I did so, another shape appear in the field to my right. Trotting out from the edge of the wood, a large red fox . It was making its way over to one of the fallen beasts.

I checked the mag. Empty. Nothing in the breach either. Franticly I checked pockets, bum bag and jacket for a spare round as the fox quite happily started to raise a plumb of hair from the carcass as it happy started to rag it.

No more ammo, so no shot. The only option left was to question the foxes parentage very loadly and ask it to “ go forth and multiply.â€

That did the trick.

I textd our guide , Pete, and told him that we had not brought a big enough truck. He soon called back.

By 07:00hrs we had started the recovery. This was accompanied by a chorus of witty comments from Griff and Alex .Y , on how I should have exercised a little more control ; our extraction techniques and the fact that I was a jammy bugger !!
All taken in good heart .

When we arrived back, and before we could thoroughly enjoy the feast of a breakfast that was in preparation for us, the mammoth task of preparing all the beasts had to be undertaken.

All hands on deck !!

And it took little time, with so many willing helpers. I can’t recall how many deer we had at that time, but I do know that we had fulfilled all of Paul’s expectations.

Breakfast of home cured ham , sausages and all the trimming was welcomed by all.
The conversation raged for over an hour, until we all felt the overwhelming desire to sleep.

When we woke, the sky has grey and carried some rain. The prospects were still good.

All the parties shot off as soon as told. Mine and Griff’s outing was less productive.
In the teeth of a gale , it was a welcome rest to get out of the high seat.

When we got back, it was a pleasant surprise to see that our team mates had had a fantastic time once again.
I
Solvi, for one, had managed to connect with three fine fallow does. We worked like beavers to get the beasts into the larder as the smells from the kitchen guaranteed that we would be well fed that night.

Kiri and his team did not let us down.

The feast began. Fallow Beauginon , more food, more food…………..Wow.

Spirits from all over the continents graced the tables .Some good, some an acquired tastes. Gerry’s and others birthdays were christened and toasted with various concoctions, but the Bushmills will last the longest on the pallet.

Back at the hotel, myself ,9.3 , 308 Mate and Brass Thief tried to keep the party going .

Needless to say, with so much social networking going on, I missed the 04:00hrs call the next morning.

Not enough can be said about the appreciation that so many have, for so few, that pulled this together.

If any other forum uses this as example to pull their members together, it will be something that we can all be proud of.

Thankyou to the European forum from us all.

Puntgunner (tank commander ) out !!!!!

e

Posts: 181 | Location: Home counties, England | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PG,

Spectacular account of a fantastic weekend - we shall remember this one for quite a while! & well done on those hot seat beasts. BOOM

Nige.

Posts: 78 | Location: Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Fantastic story mate!! beer

Thank you for your very well written report, trapped in the office and it was a most welcome chance to escape!

Can't wait to read them all, in fact everyone should do a writeup.... hijack

A

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote