Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
Trying to decide b/w this and the same with a 42mm obj.

ALso trying to decide b/w #4 and #8 reticle.

WHat are your thoughts on this?

How do you like this scope?

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A friend and I both use the Zeiss 2.5-10x50 and are very pleased with them.
The no;4 reticle is great and my one has the Illuminated reticle.
thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Diavari V/VM 2.5-10x50 is my favourite scope for European hunting. It is a very compact scope, in fact at a glance it is pretty hard to tell the difference betweeen this scope and the 1.5-6x42. Yet, it is awfully versatile. The 50 mm objective lens makes it very useable in low light situations, where 42 mm objectives may be found a bit wanting. The low end magnification of 2.5 makes it perfectly possible to use on driven hunts (it is rare I set my .15-5x42 under 2x even in close cover), and the upper magnification of 10 makes it a great scope for accurate sight-in and load development. The larger 3-12x56 is obviously #1 for low light hunting, but is considerably larger, heavier and not as versatile for driven hunting.

I personally prefer the #4 reticle. I like the #8 as well, but the heavy outer arms of the #4 are a bit closer together, and that helps in low light. Other than that, #8 is also a very versatile reticle. Zeiss IMHO has the best reticles of any manufacturer - thin inners and thick outers.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
thumb - compact, light, bright...I have a Diavari 3-12x56 (as mho said - great for low light not so versatile) - 12x comes in hand with field trophy evaluating more than shooting - 2,5-10x50 will serve you well - another vote for No4 - if you will take some longer shots (noniluminated reticle) consider No42

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
wow thx for the replies.

keep them coming

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use three Zeiss', a 2.5-10x48 Diavari-Z, a Diatal-Z 8x56T* and a Zeiss Diavari-ZM 3-12x56T*.

The ONLY thing better than any of these would be the Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50! Like Mike & Mouse say, the newer ones are lighter, much shorter, compact and pretty much do it all in one neat package.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2,5-10x50 Diavari too, and I've been most happy with it.

It's quite old now, and now that I think of it, I am beginning to suspect it may actually be a 2,5-10x52. Is that possible? Don't have the scope close by at the moment, so I can't check. Anyway, it really is versatile and does everything I need from a scope. Only thing lacking is the illuminated reticle, which really helps in dark.

I had a brand new Zeiss 7x50 with illuminated reticle last year, and it had a bit clearer image than my old Diavari and was better in really dark conditions, but the trusty old Zeiss is really much more versatile. Good quality scopes are quite expensivve here even as used, so I get mine straight from Germany nowadays. Used ones especially are very reasonably priced there.

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As stated, go for the #4 recticle when used for hunting, on the range the #8 migth be a "little" better. I have an old ZM 1.2-10x48 mm which is a great scope.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote