New
Find
Notify
Tools

slug barrel for a remmy 1100
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been looking for a slug (rifle sighted) barrel for my remmy 1100, there are plenty in the US but before I go down that road I was wondering if anyone knows of one in the UK or EU..

regards
griff
www.wipeout.org.uk

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griff,

Check the ones from the states are not rifled, otherwise you will be making an illegal rifled self loader.

Have you thought of getting a weaver scope base for the 1100 and then a simple red dot type scope?

Kyle

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rarms:
Griff,

Check the ones from the states are not rifled, otherwise you will be making an illegal rifled self loader.

Have you thought of getting a weaver scope base for the 1100 and then a simple red dot type scope?

Kyle

Kyle has offered some excellent advice.

One of the first guns I owned as a kid was a Rem 1100 with improved cylinder choke (21" bbl.?) and rifle sights.

The thing shoots Brennekes pretty well. But any improved cylinder choked smooth bore barrel will probably do the same.

The "rifle sights" are rather clunky on the Rem. 1100 ...... Like Kyle suggests go with any smoothbore (legal) version..... red dot....old style Brennekes! thumb

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Hi Griff, I have a combat bolt handle for the 1100, still in the pack,also an extra mag barrel clamp if your looking to build the full item!, Steve in Chester.

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griff

I have a shorty smooth bore barrel for my 1100 - complete with variable Cutts compensator.

Mounted a canteliver mount from Brownells - fitted a red dot - and the results are great! Smiler

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=559

4" group at 100 from Brennekes and half choke. That zero will print about four inches high at 50.

Slipping a zeroed sight and barrel on in the place of the game barrel is a great option - and slugs work really well on pigs!

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the ones in the US and yes some of them are FR,but I am definitely not going down that road.Barrel has to be 24" to stop it going on section 1. I thought at one stage of just chopping a standard barrel but wasn't sure wether or not "no choke" would stabilise a slug!
The cost of even a S/H standard barrel was very similar to a new rifled slug barrel from the US.
I would of considered a 26" barrel with a rem choke as I have an external stabilisation device,but even a short barrel for the remmy is proving hard to find.
I have been offered a Beretta 301, but barrels for them are even more hard to find..
Looked at the Tac-star saddle mount but did'nt like the idea that the scope was not in direct contact with the barrel, fitting a cantilever to the barrel seems to be the way forward, but most barrels are fitted with a rib, brownells have sights that clamp on the rib,they seemed like the way to go but the even so getting a short barrel is the problem..
Steve, would be interested in the goodies you have,give me call.

regards
griff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any rifling will make it a self-loading rifle so that it will become a s5 weapon. However it may be cheaper just to have a good competent gunsmith put a set of rifle sights on a cut-down 30" barrel. This would not be either expensive or difficult to do. Finding the gunsmith to do it might be! You already have the holes drilled in a standard 1100 barrel for the rib so centralising and positioning the sights would not be a problem at all.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Could a standard barrel be cut back and the modified to take a screw in choke? If so, I think some of those are designed to shoot slug...

If everything is to be above aboard and legal, I think Slug would need to be held on an FAC anyway?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A standard barrel seems to be the way to go, cut down and mount rifle sights that clamp on to the rib.
I a have rifled slug on my ticket so no problem there. Having the barrel cut and threaded would be more costly than buying a new one!

regards
griff

posted Hide Post
griff,

If the barrel is threaded, I'm thinking that rifled chokes are then viable, so in effect, you'd end up with what equates to a modern paradox gun.

Whether the cost of fitting a rifled choke with regards the potential gains in accuracy, is worth it, I don't know..

Also where exactly th use of a rifled choke on an otherwise legal shotgun would fall within our firearms law, I have no idea...

It might be a case of chopping down a standard barrel and seeing what accuracy you get...If its not sufficient, at that point, if legal, explore adding a rifled choke...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Griff

A cheap multi choke barrel of no less than 24" would be just the ticket to enable you to fit your "external stabilising device" on the end.

Beretta is metric and Remi is imperial not that they would be a universal fit anyway. I reckon on gunbroker you should be able to get a bargain to enable you to lauch a slow and sure pay load onto whatever you have in mind Big Grin

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pity I didn't know of you were looking about 3 months ago. My gunsmithing friend weighed it 50+ semi auto barrels in order to make some room in his work shop strongroom.I bet there were Rem and Beretta barrels amongst them. Even more went into his workshop extension as reinforcing for the concrete 2 years ago.shocker

Fat people are harder to kidnap.

Posts: 47 | Location: UK | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
Could a standard barrel be cut back and the modified to take a screw in choke? If so, I think some of those are designed to shoot slug...

If everything is to be above aboard and legal, I think Slug would need to be held on an FAC anyway?

I belive that you are correct the slugs are S1 and as soon as you load then into any shotgun that makes it a S1 also

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by griff:
I a have rifled slug on my ticket so no problem there.

DJM,

Looks like griff has that part boxed off...

I've no idea though how a rifled choke standards with regards our laws as technically at least the barrel of the shotgun remains unrifled...

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
That will teach me not read the thread properly

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griff.
if you want to try open sights on your remmi the Ruggby gunshop sell clip on tru glo sights which work quite well or if you want to fit optics B Square do no gunsmith scope mount that is fixed through the trigger pin .I have use both om my benelli to hunt wildboar .I use any choke up to half with slugs but find that 1/4 choke or less is best with accuracy of 3" at 50 yards (5 shots) useing S&B 1oz slugs standing.

Posts: 37 | Location: Cumbria, England | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.S Griff
I have a Berrete 301 with a 26" half choked barrel for sale cheap if it is any good to you.
BOB

Posts: 37 | Location: Cumbria, England | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reiver,
thanks for the offer,are you selling the whole gun or just the barrel?
Where abouts in Cumbria are you?

regards
griff