New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters from Norway and Sweden?
 Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
Here is a question for Nor, Swed, and maybe Finn hunters. Who is Uller(sp). What can you tell me about him? Here is a real stupid question does anybody still follow his dogma?

<Paleohunter>
posted
OoooooooKkkkkk; Well then nobody knows about their heritage or their mythology??????? [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
I hope this will do.
The Northern European god Ullr (aka Wuldor, Wulthur, Uller, Ullin, Holler, Vulder and Ull) is a god of the pantheon of the Aesir and Vanir, a pre-Viking-era mythology revered first by Vikings, Goths, Saxons, and ancient Britons.
* Ullr has also been called the Shifter of the Northern Lights, the Great Hunter, the Silent One, and the Holder of the Oath Ring
* Ullr, which translated means "glorious" or "dazzling", is known foremost as master of the skis and the bow. His legend speaks of an unmatchable prowess for hunting and traveling speedily across snow. He is also known as a master of the duel and, hark, a ladies' man (a trair likely inherited from his mother, Sif, the Goddess of Fertility).
* Throughout much of Northern Europe, from Britain to Germany to Scandinavia, Ullr's legend is well fortified in local lore, specifically as the King of Winter. Ullr's moniker is used commonly in Northern European place names, and is included in many stories that extend beyond Norse mythology.
* Ullr's travels, in the Ship of Ullr made of bone, were mentioned in the eigth century epic poem

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
Solvi Thank you very much. I was brushing up on my Norse Mythology and came across Ullr. He was a new one for me did'nt remmber reading about him in University. Again thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi there

You asked only Norwegians, swedes and finns.
I live and breathe in Denmark, so you did'nt invite me to answer your question.... [Wink]

I only write this reply because you eventually got your answer from a guy from Iceland. If he can answer...so can I. [Smile]
For future questions, you may like to direct to us northeners... We are: sweedes, norwegians, finns, icelanders, faroe islanders and danes. You might want to include the scottish too, since they are part of us in mind and blood, since way back.
If ever in doubt check the nations flag. If there is a cross and in it without diagonal lines, then it's scandinavian...

K&B
Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
Sorry about that the Danes sliped my mind. I never thought about the scotts I thought their mythology was celtic in orgin. [Roll Eyes]