Find
Notify
Tools

Starting an hunting club
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted
My and a group of friends and fellow hunters are planning to start a hunting club based on old europium traditions and regulations and now I am asking you for advise and if any of you belong in that kind of clubs would it be possible to send my your rules and regulations.
Most of us have hunted abroad and like all the fuss and fun involved in the hunt there.
Our club will be focused on the hunting of the Reindeer here in Iceland and there are no hunting traditions here, because until recently farmers and their friends mostly did the hunting of reindeers.

S�lvi

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Solvi

You're not getting a wild rush of ideas!

Why not include a weekend shooting festival in your club's calendar ie a schutzenfest type idea. Some target shooting, perhaps using hunting sytle targets eg reindeer cutouts, prizes to everyone, but especially the various categories winners, perhaps the overall winner is called the King of the Festival, a dinner or banquet. Hold it over a long weekend and have several events.

Another idea is to award prizes to the best reindeer for the season or perhaps the first week of the season.

How do you hunt reindeer? Stalking, drives, sitting in blinds, use dogs, ......?

Traditions built on feasts are a good idea - lots of other game and fruits and berries from the wild. What else can you hunt in Iceland? Geese, ducks? How about some whale? [Big Grin]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
[Confused] No, I am not drowning in responses, but your comments are in the way we thought of, a club where fun would be the main purpose for the members and gests. If everything goes according to plan, the number of members will be somewhere between 60-70 and although the hunting season is only one and a half month we will be meeting once every month of the year.
(It�s a perfect excuse to meet the friends and have a beer)
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
For most of us, the hunting takes place in another part of the country and for example I have to travel 600 km to the place I hunt on.
On the second half of the season we are able to combine Reindeer and ducks and Geese and many of us do.
�Whale� if only, when I was younger whales where hunted and I have shoot some of the smaller ones but, those where the days. Hopefully we will be able to hunt them again in the near future.
Hopefully you are not the only one that will read this post and replay and I thank you for your reply

<tread>
posted
If it is of any help to you go to this site www.saint-hubert-club.org.uk/ Although we do not have very long traditions ourselves this sight may give you links to others or a possible contact to somewhere that does.

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Solvi, if you can read Danish, you can take a look at: http://www.danske-hubertusjaegere.dk/

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
You might consider affiliating with Safari Club International. You could easily call it the Iceland chapter. A few years back, someone was marketing both rein and waterfowl hunts in Iceland at one of the conventions. I was interested then and still am.

SCI doesn't care what local traditions you follow (or intiate!) as can be seen from the Italian Chapter, the French Chapter, etc. The "advantage" to such an affiliation might be contact with hunters outside of this forum worldwide and that could put you on someone's "must visit" list from a country where formal tradition is the norm. (Here in the U.S. we're good on what are called 'critter cooks' but most of the formality is restricted to the Deep South quail plantations.) That way your guests could help you with ideas.

Just a thought.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for yours points, it seems that there is a Hubertus club being born her in Iceland.
And Oldsarg , there is a SCI club starting here, and is beginning to enlist hunters, what we have in mind is more of closed club and we will not have more than 60-70 members.

S�lvi

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Solvi
A suggestion could be:

Open your club to strangers hunters, they will pay, having the rare pleasure to use the club services [Big Grin] You can cash a lot of money with little expenses. [Big Grin]

If it is possible, manage a private hunting club house, comfortable and quiet, with free smoke&drink areas [Big Grin] Other features in private mail, too not politically correct to wirite here freeely. [Big Grin]
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote