New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Stalking Certificate
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to sit the assessment for the DSC1 in mid-June and would like to pick your brains...

I believe the section on meat handling has been introduced quite recently and was wondering whether anyone has experience with this as I won't be attending the prelim classes.
Cheers

Gabriel

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gab,

I am sure if you go to the BASC website, they have the relivent information available as a download for those needing to update thier "old" DMQ1.

If you can find it, or have any other questions, drop me a PM and I would be glad to help if I can..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do these help:

http://www.dmq.org.uk/downloads/newsletter05-1.pdf

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/html/qualifications.htm

They might at least give you a clue as to what the new stuff is.

As an aside I hope to do the DSC1 fairly soon and I feel, perhaps wrongly, that information on the precise level of knowledge required is a bit thin on the ground. I think this is the best summary I've seen:

http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_stalking_certificate_level_1.html

I suppose the problem is that various aspects, stalking and safety, are adapted to local conditions depending upon where you do a course and assessment. However as someone new to shooting and with no experience at all of stalking perhaps it could be made a little easier to get a feel for the requirements.

How do others feel on this matter?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Caorach

I am hoping that you have managed to obtain an up to date DSC manual. You will be fortunate to pass the exams without having studied it. The 'deerquest' CD is another worthwhile investment.

The written section consists of a question bank of up to 300 questions - of which a random selection is drawn for each exam. Answered on a multiple choice basis, it will present no problem for someone who has pre read the book. Best part is.... the questions are all listed in the book.

Read the manual, obtain the answers, regurgitate in the exam.

Rgds Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Read the manual, obtain the answers, regurgitate in the exam.
QUOTE]

A lot like university really!

I'll let you guys know how it goes. If I fail the shooting bit I will do some form of forfeit!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be great if you could keep us informed. As I am new to shooting and stalking it is all a bit of an adventure for me so the more info I can get the better. I haven't applied for the DSC yet as am waiting to see if there are going to be any dates close by, March of next year seems likely and that would give me time to get my shooting up to standard as well.

I know there is lots of experience on here and clearly the DSC is just a very simple way of getting an introduction to the sport. I spend a lot of time on the moorland of Lewis/Harris and for me that is what stalking is about and I'm only vaguely aware that there are some other deer around that hang about in forests :-) Based upon this total lack of knowledge are their any opinions on whether I should try book myself with one of the stalking operations that offer to assist beginners to get a cull beast before I do the DSC? I'm not sure that I have the time before March but would be interested in your views.

I live in Northern Ireland so clearly locations in the south west of Scotland are probably the best option for me. I know nothing about the stalking available in NI but don't think there is much of it about.