Good German name for a GSP pup
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Call her Hun.

not 'cause you love her, because she's German! Mad

Posts: 3 | Location: London UK | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a physics professor who named his dog "Keppler".

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 90 pound GSP is named Grendel, after the monster in The Epic of Beowulf. I know, Danish and not Deutsch, but Nordic nonetheless...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
How about Peiper - after Jochan Peiper of the SS (spelling?)

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
My father in law bought his GSP in Germany. A very grand hound : his German name ASTOR.
Astor von der Leihen on the pedigree.

My dachshound from Germany : JOCK

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rainman1882
posted Hide Post
I named my GSD Blitz. Good German name but nothing to strange.

Posts: 120 | Location: eastern montana | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about Panzer?

Posts: 316 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Sorry not to reply earlier. Unfortunately in "third world" country Australia, the phones are not always reliable and my phone and fax lines died for several days. Usually several times every year when the temperature goes over 40 deg C.

Thanks for the many good suggestions in the replies. thumb

"Blaser" - ha ha. Smiler

DB Bill - "Fritz" was a suggestion for "Siegfried" by a nasty colleague when he was a young dog. The Barossa Valley was a German settled area and we have a sausage called "Fritz". Big and fat, reddish/liver in colour. Made from undetermined "meat". As my fellow colleague said "Red on the outside, full of shit on the inside". Funny.

"Wolfgang", I was also considering "Wolf".

"Maximillian", a good possibility.

"Mauser", a good one too. "Nitro", even better. Big Grin

"Blondi" - I am sure I know whom the owner was that you refer to. But I may get in trouble with that one, as my wife is also a blondie! sofa My father also had a blonde border collie sheepdog many years ago, whom used to ride in his truck beside him. Some people thought he had a blondie girlfriend/mistress from a quick view when he drove past. rotflmo

"Rommel" - very appropriate, "the desert fox". Also the "R" can be rolled into a growl for strong commands.

"Kaiser" is one I also was thinking of.

quote:
In order to fit into Siegfried's steps, I'd think that only Wotan or Thor are appropriate. As an additional benefit, both names can be shouted well:

"WWWWOOOOTTTAAANN, COME HEEEERRRRREEE YOU &§%$/&%§/$&%!!!!!!

"Wotan", a very good suggestion. Siegfried learned shouted expletives meant he was in real trouble and always resulted in instant obedience. However cursing the gods might get me in hot water! I do like that name. Definitely on a short list. Maybe if I want to court disaster one day another GSP, named "Loki"?!

"Mist" has another meaning in German. Wink

quote:
How about calling him "Schweinhund"?

That's a good name for a German Jagd Terrier. Big Grin

"Klaus", maybe one day. I do like "Uschi" and "Magda" for bitches.

I like "Grendel" also for a real bitch.

"Astor" is very good, and often used for white dogs.

"Blitz" is very good. Another member of NE and AR had two dogs called "Donder" and "Blitzen" (or in Swedish spelling ?) which I thought was very good. Thunder and Lightning.

"Panzer", another good suggestion.

Some others I considered which are not Germanic but classical, include "Achilles", "Hector" and "Caesar". Also "Hannibal" (the Carthaginian General not the movie character).

Thanks for these and the many other very good suggestions. beer

I will wait to see what dog I pick out which may take some months. I could choose quickly from very good pedigree stock sooner, but may wait to look over puppies from proven hunting parents. If I can't find them locally, a few trips over to the next state which is a day's drive.

So far my favourites are:

"Wotan" or "Odin". Cursing the gods should result in an eventful life.

"Rommel".

"Blitzen" and "Blitz" for short.

"Kaiser".

"Fritz".

Be rest assured, I will update the forum with the choice of name and pup + photo when both choices are made as thanks.

Thinking of any other suggestions? Please post.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

quote:
How about calling him "Schweinhund"?

That's a good name for a German Jagd Terrier. Big Grin

My Jagd Terrier's name is Hoss (vom Stromberg), after his fabulous great grand father. Physically, he is also rather on the robust side, all guts and muscle, of course.

Surprisingly, some people confuse this name with "Horst", like in the song, ya' know...

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Gentlemen,
"Mist" has another meaning in German. Wink

Exactly!! Smiler

Rgds IanF

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I quite like liked "Boris" for a GSP.

I give my dogs gaelic names, even if they are german breeds.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about Sheiskopf? Wink

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyreb:
What about Sheiskopf? Wink

I'll leave that name for you to use for your own dogs.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about Heinz? As in Heinz Guderian architect of armored blitzkrieg? (which we all know is an adaptation of an infatry tactic from a book called Infantrie Greift An by one Erwin Rommel.)

Bismark also comes to mind but more for a Drathaar Smiler

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fritz

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Fritz is growing on me. Not grand, but a very friendly name.

John H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a GHP bitch as a kid called Gustav (After Carl Gustav Jung) -- which quickly became goose -- suited her better.

Wolfram could be a good name.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I`ll get a pitbull in the future, I`ll call him George W., in honor to the great american hero Big Grin!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monastery-Forester:
If I`ll get a pitbull in the future, I`ll call him George W., in honor to the great american hero Big Grin!

Either George or Saddam might fit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LUDWIG for a dog. with the w pronounced as a v; as it ought to be.

A bitch, Eva, after that nice Mr Hitlers' companion.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
Günther, Leopold or Matthias. I really like Günther, very strong name. All are names of German Monarchs.

If it were a female, "Riesling", the reasons being quite obvious. Unless of course your palette never runs to white Big Grin

Lynn D

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about "Herr Bubba"? Cool

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about DICK!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

As before, thanks for the (mostly) constructive comments and suggestions. Will let you know how it goes in the future.

John H.

One of Us
Picture of puntgunner
posted Hide Post
My friend has got a truly wonderful new GSP pup.
Black as the ace of spades.

had to give up the first choice of name after a few weeks of training , and had to call it Ash. too many political repercussions could be seen on the horizon.

But i still thought it was a good name for a dog.

Oh, the name. NI$%ER !

Posts: 181 | Location: Home counties, England | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Doktor Faustus

Goetz

Grimbardt

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Sheila, Cobber or Mate, all good german names!!! Razzer

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
BTW: Calling my new GWP "Olli"
Bought a collar at Dortmund and it already had this name on it. (I think it's the brand name of the dog collars.) Anyway sounds good to me. No idea if it means anything. Pick the pup up this week.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
It's also a brand of Catfood:

http://www.ollipetcare.com/about/

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
John

try "Gift"

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It came as a surprise to me, when we first moved to the area we now live to find all the sheep dogs had the same name. Farmers are often heard calling to their dogs,
"Come here, Bastard!" jumping jumping

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an area in the Rhine valley and the neighbouring Hunsrück mountains where farmers still call their dogs by the name of a French general from Napoleon's occupying army. It seems that this general who's name I unfortunately do not recall had left a remaining impression.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about Deutsch, pronounced as "Dutch"

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well don't keep us in suspense! Did you find a dog and what did you name him/her?

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote