Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
X

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all get the name right!! They are quads not "quad bikes." A bike has two wheels a quad has four!

We use Polaris in Alberta and you honestly wouldn't believe the shit we have put them them through. Tough as hell and no shifting involved, they have high and low range for pulling heavy loads. The no shifting part is great when you're on hills or in the midst of getting stuck and would rather not be trying to shift. That's what I'd buy.

In this part of the world Honda might also be a good bet. If you have one you might as well have a trailer to tow behind it too. In that case don't consider anything below 500cc because you can blow an engine very easily with an underpowered quad.

Buying a used quad if fraught with disaster and heartache. Remember that 3000km. doesn't sound like much use but if it was used roughly it's probably near the end of its life. Don't buy any used machine that was used by "public works," oil compannies, logging companies etc. Don't buy them at auction either. Find some old farmer who has one and wants to get rid of it.

When you get one put racks on the front and the back to carry stuff and a gear box in the back too. Make sure it's got a hitch when you buy it and if it doesnt' have a winch make sure you put one on. A quad without a winch is basically a useless machine. In your case I'd stay away from the super knobby tires as they really chew up the ground and the farmers woulnd't like that too much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Honda TRX4 Quad Bike which I use on the farm in Devon and on Kiri's land in Kent.
It carries a deer on each rack very nicely and will easily cope with all the mud etc.
It fits nicely into the back of a Hilux via a couple of Aluminium ramps bought off e-bay.
It is road legal but the insurance cost for on-road use is horrendous.
I also have a road trailer which carries both the bike and a motorised flail mower which it tows to keep down brambles and bracken.
Downsides: the electronic gearbox which, if the battery goes flat whilst it is in gear, means its impossible to start....as I know to my cost.
Also power, it is capable of leaping off the ground if you give it too much throttle whilst crossing ruts.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make sure it's got a hitch

Gonna look right smart that trailer hitch on your Mercedes-Benz ......

shocker

quote:
We use Polaris in Alberta and you honestly wouldn't believe the shit we have put them them through.

Yup, agree w/cc-1. Polaris makes a good product. I don't have one but have driven them alot.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
You wont go wrong with a Honda

I have owned a few a 2 wheel drive 300cc will do all you need if you are not using a trailer behind it.

If you do want to tow a trailer behind it go for a 4 wheel drive version.

I have a 400cc 4 wheel drive Honda and use it with the trailer a lot. The two biggest loads I have extracted with it are 16 fallow does one day and 5 red hinds on a different day.

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I had a Yamaha Grizzly 450cc 4wd until last night.

The Yammy is a great bike.

TFP's
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Last seen towing a caravan??

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote