Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about slots???
 Login/Join

posted
I went out this evening to follow up reports of "deer sightings" in an area not too far from my home..

These sightings, off fallow, roe and even muntjac, have been reported on and off for a few years now and tie in with "official reports" from the DI Wales and the BDS.

I didn't see any deer, nor anything substantial like fraying or well worn racks, but I did come across a set of solitary slots crossing a ride in some woodland...

The slots were about 5cm long by 3.5cm wide and overall they had a rectangular form to them rather than a heart shape...I could not see sign any of dew claws...

I am hoping that they might be a young fallow or a roe, but realise they are far more likely to be sheep not that I saw any in the woodland or the fields next to it although this is a sheep farming area...

So any tips for distingushing sheep from deer slots? The books make it sound easy, but when looking at less than perfect slots, I am never 100% sure especially in absence of other evidence...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
sheep slots tend to be rounded at the front
and are nowhere near as tapered as deer..
not much help I know but its a start.

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete

Your right its a lonely sheep.

Sheep tracks are rounded at both ends making them appear rectangular and about 6 x 4.5 cm. Medial walls are slightly concave and dew claws dont show.

Mark
Hope that helps

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Pete Up your way there's no such thing as a lonely sheep, & you can usually tell by the welly prints about 10" either side of the slot.

If there are no welly prints they will be deer.

WinkWinkWink
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of puntgunner
posted Hide Post
quote:

I presume you found the above link on the
Welsh tourist board site, mate.

Posts: 181 | Location: Home counties, England | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of puntgunner
posted Hide Post
Peter Please find attached a few slots that i can across last year.

The Cartridge next to the imprint is a
6.5 x 55 swede for scale.

Bearing in mind that the COL is a tadge under 3" , this is one big mother.

Any guesses?

Here is something a little smaller. along the lines of a hill red to compare.

YOU CAN SEE HOW POINTED AND SLIM THE IMPRESSION IS COMPARES TO THAT DESCRIBED FOR A SHEEP.

Posts: 181 | Location: Home counties, England | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote