New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.6x50R vs 222rem in single shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Montero has thrown me into a panic. Just as I finally decided to order a little Blaser in K95 in 6.5x57r with a spare 222rem barrel (to replace my HB sako which I merely use on the range)he quite rightly tells me I should consider the 5.6x50R magnum as the proper choice for such a rifle.

This barrel will be used on roe occasionaly, the odd fox, squirrrel and hare as well as playing.
Has anyone experience to compare the 2?

How available is 5.6x50r magnum ammunition in places such as Sweden and is it as sweet shooting as the 222rem?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
How available is 5.6x50r magnum ammunition in places such as Sweden and is it as sweet shooting as the 222rem?

It will be very difficult to find factory ammunition in 5.6x50r magnum in Sweden as the caliber is almost unknown here. Nor is 6.5x57r very common here.

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Savage Hi-Power, 5,6x52R, can be bought almost everywhere in Sweden. Also a fitting round for a single-shot like the K95.

[ 03-05-2003, 23:24: Message edited by: Wachtel ]

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wachtel:
The old Savage Hi-Power, 5,6x52R, can be bought almost everywhere in Sweden. Also a fitting round for a single-shot like the K95.

And also legal for roe deer in Sweden (i.e. Swedish class 2 ammunition in standard loads).

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola 94 , I agree with Montero the 5.6 x 50 R it's in a 22-250 class , my friends in Germany uses exclusively on Roe with very high success , one change from 7 x 64 , one from 6.5 x 57 to 5.6 x 50 R , maybe with this caliber you don�t need the 6,5 x 57 Barrel [Smile]

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my 222 and am very happy with it's velocity, accuracy and above all it's low noise and blast. I would be very happy with it again but am just a bit concerned about reloading such a small shell especialy with that overhanging barrel lump.

Seeing as the 5.6x50R has a low CIP pressure rating it seems that if the 43kpsi limit is stuck to one gets near 222rem velocities and presumably noise etc. I don't think the tiny potential accuracy difference will matter with a max 9power scope.

The brass is expensive but should last an age so I think that's the way I'm going....

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted

5,6X50 R is a very fine caliber. I have friends who have both 6,5X57r and 5,6X50r. They have no problem finding ammo for them. They use RWS or hirtenberger brass/ammo. Well stocked gundealers will have it. I know a few around my area. 222 is not a very good caliber for roe if the range gets a bit longer.

I would pick the 5,6X50r. Very nice caliber for roe deer and how dare you even consider a non rimmed caliber for a break top rifle [Eek!]

Cheers
/ JOHAN

[ 03-31-2003, 00:25: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The deed is done 6.5x57R and 5.6x50R. [Big Grin] Thanks for the feedback.

<JOHAN>
posted

I spoke to some of my friends who uses the 5,6X50R for roe deer most of them are useing 60 grains hornady softpoint and 60 grain nosler partition. Some claim that the 60 grain hornady give better shock effect on the roebucks.

Congratulations to your choice.
Let us know then the new darling has arrived [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan has a point here.. I too, agree on the choise, But be sure it will shoot 60gr. bullets.
They're exellent for roe.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get the 60 grain bullets to shoot out of my .222 but have heard that this is an easy task for a 5,6x50R. I never deared to shoot at roe deer with a 50 grain .224 bullet, I prefer the 6,5x57R instead. For fox however, the .222 Rem is just the way to go.

Weidmann's Heil, D.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi 94
5,6 is more relaiable in break open action,but 222 is nice with sako's 50 gr BX they penetrate like a big game rifle. try sako's BX before you choose.
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DUK,

I have never used a .222Rem but I have used a .223Rem with a fairly standard 55grn SP bullet and it works really well on Roe; in many ways better than my .308win. I was always very careful with shot placement using the .223Rem and I have a nagging doubt that it might one day let me down so I tend to use my .308 Win, but if you are reasonable careful if would certainly work ok...

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I helped Montero in his argument. Sorry if you are now having trouble deciding.
222Rem and 5,6x50R magnum feels the same to shoot and shoot the same bullets. The 5,6x50R mag. has a sligthly higher V0.
The 222rem can be found anywhere on planet earth the 5,6x50R mag. cannot.
I would pick the 5,6 x50R mag for a break top rifle anytime, if I was given the choise, because it offers no difficulty in chambering another round quickly and has a slightly better V0. I would choose the 222rem for a regular bolt action, for obvious reasons. But for a break top also, if i worried about being able to find ammo.
Ammo for 5,6x50R mag IS available in DEnmark, Sweeden and Germany. The rest of the european countries....? I don't know. But I do know that you can get 222rem anywhere.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
The problem lies in the gun with a break action you really need a rimmed cartridge. The 5,6x50 R is ideal for your K 95. Ammunition avalibility outsise of central and norther Europe is another issue all together. In the US some stores do not even stock .222 Rem ammunition, stupid. We import all of our metric cals from RWS our .222 is Norma and RWS for pests we use a local mfg. The 5,6 will shoot a heavier bullet. Both of my .222 are at best with 50 to 55 grs soft points. I have shot many impala with the Remington 50 grs soft point with head shots only out of my Sauer. My vote is for the 5,6 x 50 R with a case of RWS ammo and reloading dies.

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5,6x50R is here very popular but only in break down actions. So ammo is no problem Its exclusivley for roe deer (or maybe fox and coon) all other animals (boar, red dear need minimum 6,5 mm diameter.)

I asked friend shooting this ammo on roe deer, the all are very happy with. Using 55grains Nosler and and Teilmantel S bullets.

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote