New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was considering buying a Browning BAR to do some wild boar hunting here in Italy as there are many hunters I know who use them.

My question is this: Are there any European countries that do not permit the use of a semi-automatic rifle such as the BAR for hunting? I believe there are some African countries that do not allow them but I was wondering there were any European countries as well.

Posts: 48 | Location: Parma, Italy | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Germany BAR's are legal and seen on Drive Hunts.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in Portugal the semi auto rifles are the preferred weapons for drive hunts, they are perfectly legal but they must be limited to three rounds.

In Spain they are also legal and widely seen, not sure is there is any restriction about the number of rounds you can load.

In France they are also popular but they have a law that the magazine can not be removable from the rifle.

Hope it helps,
Cheers

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are legal to use here in Czech. We have a few people in our hunting club who use them and the Remington 740's. A standard hunting license will allow you to use one in catagory B or C.

B is anything with a barrel length less than 600mm, or self loader which holds more than 3 rounds.

C is barrel lengths longer than 600mm and self loaders limited to 3 rounds.

Cheers,

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
The BAR is a great rifle, I have one in 30-06.
It is by far one of the most accurate semi autos I have shot and it is very relliable. The only fault I find is the trigger SUCKS.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Germany, Switzerland and France, semi-autos are legal, provided they are chambered in a "legal" caliber. However, I believe semi-autos are subject to a maximum of either 1, 2 or 3 shots contained in the magazine. So there are restrictions, which often make semis less pouplar than one would otherwise think.

Legality of calibers differs from country to country. In Germany and Switzerland, legality of a particular cartridge primarily depends on game hunted and exact location (canton in Switzerland). In France, the issue of outlawed military calibers is an additional factor.

In general, I find the BAR quite heavy and quite long for its barrel length. The extra weight is not necessarily a drawback for use on running game, though.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Finland semi-autos are legal, also the military weapon look-alikes. The magazines to be used in hunting mustn't have more than 2 or 3-round capacity, depending on the game species hunted.

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Do they still make a Browning BAR in 9,3x62mm?

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they do.

They call it the Evolve, it has a silver grey receiver engraved with game animals and a Monte Carlo stock with a very pronounced grip ( They call it Kaiser Grip).

There is another version, which appeared one or two months ago called the Premium, it’s the standard BAR, with black receiver, and the Evolve stock.

There is word in Spain about a Long Track in 9.3x62mm appearing in the near future.

The 9.3x62 is becoming more and more popular in Portugal and Spain.

Cheer´s

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete Lincoln, our esteemed AR Gunmsith is also working on 9.3x62 barrels for Remington Semi-Auto series.

www.roedaleprecision.com

NRA Life Member

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted Hide Post
Altough I prefer a double for driven hunt, In Spain it is very popular. The unique restriction is you cannot load more than three rounds in the rifle (2 in the magazine + 1 in the chamber).

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6_5X57:
Altough I prefer a double for driven hunt, In Spain it is very popular. The unique restriction is you cannot load more than three rounds in the rifle (2 in the magazine + 1 in the chamber).

and you can't use 308 win in a semi auto in Spain, only in a single shot or manually operated rifle, such as pump- or bolt-action. Seems to be 'cos 308 is considered military, hence we can have expanding 308 ammo, but not FMJ! Odd that my 9mm pb and 338 lapua are NOT considered military, and i can have a .700 Nitro Express but not a .50bmg....and don't even ask about 5,56 NATO, not allowed at all.

And in the UK, no semi-autos rifles at all except for .22lr (which we can't use for hunting here in spain.......)

Posts: 60 | Location: Spain | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies.

Posts: 48 | Location: Parma, Italy | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
in Italy there in no problem to use the Bar self loader.
the Browning make the BAR Evolve caliber 9,3x62.
i have this rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gerry, they have although taken a back seat just lately to getting customers rifles done and playing with my 9.3RSM.
The BAR is an excellent weapon although more expensive than the remington, my idea with the 9.3x62 barrels for the Remington is to give an alternative to the BAR.

To answer the question.. Semi Auto's are banned in the UK. but as far as i thow the rest of the EU is ok.
Pete

Posts: 64 | Location: Germany | Registered: 23 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
markino,don't buy a BAR you are going to regret it.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote