Find
Notify
Tools

Sako ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
I have been looking at the latest Sako catalog and i see they make their own ammo anyone using it?

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Yep,

I use the 90gr .243win softpoint
150gr 308, super hammerhead
165gr 308 Powerhead,(ie: Barnes-X)

if you use either of those calibers let me know and I'll tell you the little more I know. They tend to kill everything I shoot at with them and the only thing I would say is that in the first two cases I recover a lot of bullets from both longer and short range shots.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fallow Buck i do shoot with 243 but i have not seen Sako ammo here yet,I asked out of interest as i have found Norma to work very well.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I used the Norma at first but had terrible results wityh them. I shot a couple of deer that I got non expansion with and resulted in lost animals.

Since moving to Sako I have had no worries at all. My mate still shoots Norma and swears by them so it's horses for courses!!

Rgds,
FB

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have used the ammo overseas with great results, too bad it won't be imported into the US

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Sako ammo in .243, .270 and 308 win.

The .270 and 308 utilise the Hammerhead 156 grain and Super- Hammer head 180 grain respectively. Bullet performance excellent and accuracy as good as a best hand-load.

In the U.K the cost of Sako ammo is 1/2 -2/3 that of the main U.S imported brands.

In .243 the 95 grain regular soft nosed shoots as well as any other make, however I have not had the same luck with the 85 grains Barnes XLC version, there is something about this load that my rifle doesn't like. (accuracy upto 5 inch groups). But that seems to be the thing about Barnes bullets, they either work in your rifle, or they don't, no half measures.

JT

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
JT,

Apparently that is very true on the Barnes-X's.

I'm trying both the Sako loads in Barnes-X and also the Federal Triple Shok's this weekend in the 308 to see what we get.
My preference would be for the TSX if they shoot well. I'll post on the results with the photo's if they aren't too embarrasing!!!

Rgds,
FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone reloaded sako cases?
A couple of years ago, I heard you should be careful when doing so. Something about variations in case volume..
I believe I read this in a gun magasine, but I could be wrong.
I´m sure this is nonsens, as Sako tends to produce other things with accuracy!
I couldn´t tell though, I only use Normabrass!

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fallow Buck / JT.

A freind of mine explained that the Barnes x's ara a rather hard alloy and it's a case of not fitting the bore dimensions of the barrel that causes the problems in some rifles. Also a pal called today to say that he could no longer get sako factory in 6mm ppc as they've now stopped making it for some reason, so if you know of any supplies l'd appreciate a nod to let him know where, midlands area if possible.

Asti.

l also use norma brass even though my rifle really likes federal factory stuff in the 70 - 90 region. The problems you've heard of are due to case wall thickness which causes a change in volume/preasure when reloaded, this happens with all cases of differant makes. l can get federal factory to shoot well but it doesn't like to play for me when reloaded back into the same case.

Regards.

Dave.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako cases are Norma cases or ewen as odd as RWS cases made by Norma and headstamped as Sako.

The issues regarding different case volumes was inherent to some Norma cases in Magnum calibers for one 300 Win mag. Norma redesigned the cases and made them with thinner case walls producing higher volumes in the new cases, when mixed old and new cases with max loads for the new cases bad things happend.

It was not an issue about bad cases or quality it was a bad case of not telling the reloaders about the changes.

regards Chris

Anyone reloaded sako cases?
A couple of years ago, I heard you should be careful when doing so. Something about variations in case volume..
I believe I read this in a gun magasine, but I could be wrong.
I´m sure this is nonsens, as Sako tends to produce other things with accuracy!
I couldn´t tell though, I only use Normabrass!