New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf hunting in Romania!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Suterday 13 december it was the started of my wolf hunting trip with Marius Merutiu from huntromania.com

Actually I had responded on an offer earlier this year from Marius on the AR forum.
We worked out the details, and did preparation for everything, to make the trip go smoothly, Marius send me the invitation, wich I needed for the Dutch customs to get my “consent”.
After arriving in Bucarest, the airport police handled my gun import very quickly, before I know I was in the arrivall hall and met Marius his driver who was going to pick me up.
We had a long drive from Bucarest to the Carphat mountains, Marius was waiting for me there, and we where on the way to a hotel.
Next morning we where leaving to got to the mountains, Marius and his rangers had been baiting on different locations, on one location there was many wolf activity, wich all was proven by trailcams. There was an old lonely wolf visiting the bait regular, so we dicided to sit over that bait the next days. Marius and one of his rangers where with me on the high seat, at 18:00 pm it was dark, lucky enough in the days before it had snowed, so the area was white, and you could see very good with binoculars. Suddenly at around 22:00 pm there was activity behind the bait, it all went very quick, there was a wolf crossing behind the bait.
It was gone before we even could open the window of the blind.
We waited for some more time, but no activity.
The next night started the same, sitting at 16:00 pm and wait for whats gonna happened, just after dark we spotted again some activity, this time foxes has discovered the bait, and all night long they where running around the bait, and keep us awake.
On daytime we where checking the baiting places and looking for tracks in the snow, many brown bear activity, and in some areas a wolfpack was active.
Around our bait/highseat the lonewolf was in the area, one time he has been walking for behind the highseat for about 10 meters.
On the baiting places trailcams where in place, still a lot of brown bears where active on the bait, they liked the corn, also wildboars where on the pics, and wolfs and foxes.
Because the hunting area was very big, Marius his rangers also so checking the baiting places more away, but we dicided to stay at the highseat we started!
On one of the days, we where just in a high seat and a brown bear showed up at the bait, he made his way to the corn, and starts eating, offcourse if you are not hunting on brownbear they will show themselves in the best shooting position you can imagen!
On the end after 45 minutes the bear dicided to take away some bait, it al happened very fast.
After a few days of good weather it changed, the temperatures did get up, it startes to get foggy, raining, and some higher points snowing, so our changes changed very quick. On daytime the snow was melting, that was bringing a lot of water to the rivers/lakes.
In one morning I did a stalk on redder with one of the rangers from Marius, we saw a lot of tracks, but no success, it was very hard not to make noise on the frozen snow!
On the next days we where seated again in the highseat, the brown bear came back many times, and the foxes also, but no wolf!
Then after a week there was already the lastday, even I did not shoot a wolf it was a fantasic week in a beautifull area, and a very good guide!
I will be coming back this spring, for roebuck hunting, and next winter, there is stilling running around a wolf!

Here some pics, one is taken from the high seat, the other are bear tracks, and a view from the area, and off course Tuica!

Posts: 68 | Location: Holland(Netherlands) | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a good hunt. I'm very glad you had a good time and, while no real opportunity, at least the chance for a wolf working the area.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote