New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt rifles for driven hunts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
would you consider a boltrifle a handicap on a driven hunt?
or would a semi-auto be better?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here, semiautos are limited to 2+1 shots when used for hunting, a regular olt action carries up to 5+1.

Besides, I think that you can shoot pretty fast with a bolt action, too, it just takes some practice.

Personally, I prefer the other guys on the meeting point to carry bolt actions, too, because one can very clearly see when the action is open or not. Shit might happen all the times...

Break-top is of course alright, as well.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It´s all a question of how well and fast would you like to shoot?

With a bolt action, I and most others will shoot as fast and accurate as with a semi, with some training perhaps faster.

There is no way to get around recoil and time to regain posture again, if you reload during that time you are well on your way.

Straight pull bolts are even faster, Blasers are great in that function.

Beginners and less practiced shooters might gain from a semi hovewer, the loading, unloading and security issues as in when is it unloaded with the makes them unfit for hunting at least according to me.

The fastest rifle for driven hunts is a Sbs dr in 8x57JSR, modest recoil and great report in all european game, just my two cents.

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
The fastest rifle for driven hunts is a Sbs dr in 8x57JSR, modest recoil and great report in all european game, just my two cents.

Best regards Chris[/QUOTE]

Or a Drilling - First shot with the rifle, then a further pair of slugs down the range........ Smiler

Agree with your thoughts Chris - a semi will allow an inexperienced shooter to make a lot of noise quickly.

In shooting, success is not measured in decibels!

Rgds Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
With practice, a bolt rifle can be reloaded very quicly at the shoulder and a Blaser R93 is even faster. Here is my battery of "battue" rifles :

FN-Browning O/U in 9,3x74R (= fair weather)

R 93 in 9,3x62 (= foul weather)

K98 "scout" in 9,3x62 (reserve rifle)

Semi-auto rifles are legally limited to 2+1 but are not welcome in may hunting circles.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here on driven hunts, about 50% of hunters use semiautos, mainly BARs (I'm one of these), Rem. 7600 and a few Benelli Argo; 30% use shotguns and 20% use bolt actions, levers and pumps (very few). IMO a good semiauto (so, not the 7600 Big Grin ) is the best choice, HERE.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wildboar,

I have a question.

As you can use shotguns for drivehunting on wild boars
- are you limited to slugs or can you even use 00, 01 etc.
- open rifle sights, optics or are you permitted to use the "normal shotgun sights".

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian, how well does your drilling print slugs in relation to the rifled barrel.

Can you guys use slugs in the UK?

In our lovely Sweden, slugs are ok for wild boar, fallow deer and mufflon, rifle has to be a one barreled rifle, ie no drillings or svs.

André- did you see my report on using the 9,3x62 for roe buck, very solid report and limited meat damage as far as I can tell, more to come later tonight as I will butcher the meat tonight.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by IanF:

Best regards Chris

Or a Drilling - First shot with the rifle, then a further pair of slugs down the range........ Smiler

Agree with your thoughts Chris - a semi will allow an inexperienced shooter to make a lot of noise quickly.

In shooting, success is not measured in decibels!

Rgds Ian Smiler[/QUOTE]

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I sold my 9.3x62 Blaser synthetic with the Aimpoint on it, so my only drive rifle is a 444 Marlin with a 1.5-6 Burris on it.

Big social hunts for deer and wildboars are very uncommon in America.

I would like to have a Heym o/u in 9.3x74, but I have a feeling it would be a fairweather stalking rifle for moose, bears, elk, and boars and never get to be a drive rifle. So I'd probably scope it with a 2-12x50 Swarovski Z6.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Chris,
I've shot a lot of roedeer with the 9,3's as I always use the '74R or '62 on drive hunting (you never know what will come out : roedeer, red deer, fallow deer, mouflon or wild boar). In terms of meat damage on roe, the big, slow moving 9,3 may create big holes at times but without haematoma and bloodshot meat, so that you can eat right up to the edges of the hole. I've seen lots of game shot with small HV calibers which very small wounds, that is until you peel off the hide and discover the underlying damage...

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
@ Burkhard:

-Only slugs in shotguns.

-I don't understand your question well, but we have no limitations/regulations regarding sights, red dots or scopes.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildboar,

sorry for the misunderstanding

My question was, can you use shotshells in 00 or 01 for wildbor.
You told me only slugs. For I think using 00 for wildboar would be butchering.

For the sights I asekd, if you can use a shotgun
for wildboars and you only have the open sights of a
shotgun barrel, is this legal, or must you install a scope or an open sight for
rifle barrels (for higher precision).

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Burkhard:
Wildboar,

.....For the sights I asekd, if you can use a shotgun
for wildboars and you only have the open sights of a
shotgun barrel, is this legal, or must you install a scope or an open sight for
rifle barrels (for higher precision)....

Burkhard

No problems Smiler ! One can use whatever sights he wants.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to have a Heym o/u in 9.3x74, but I have a feeling it would be a fairweather stalking rifle for moose, bears, elk, and boars and never get to be a drive rifle. So I'd probably scope it with a 2-12x50 Swarovski Z6.

I would put a Z6i 1-6x on the rifle (I did on my 9,3x74R double rifle). Double rifles are much more difficult to shoot accurate with a rest (which you need with 12x magnification).

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
12x is a bit high for tight spots and fast driven game, however a standing shot at a moving target is no problem with 12x, its a matter of getting used to.

When I do my annual qualification on the running moose target, I shoot with 12 or 15x on the scope, then I switch guns and shoot with 1,5/4 and 6X for real life hunting.

I have taken a clean kill on a running/more like trotting deer with an 8X scope som years ago, however when push comes to and so forth, I still would go with the 1-6 cause that is the most usefull in real hunting.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Nitehawk:
quote:

I would put a Z6i 1-6x on the rifle (I did on my 9,3x74R double rifle). Double rifles are much more difficult to shoot accurate with a rest (which you need with 12x magnification).

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question was, can you use shotshells in 00 or 01 for wildbor.
You told me only slugs. For I think using 00 for wildboar would be butchering.

Hi Burkhard ,
any kind of shells is permitted in the wild board hunts, only bullets like Brenneke for shotguns
Hope to meet you in a next future, we still have to spend some time in a good dinner

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The advantage of the 3-12 or 2-12 is that you get the 56 mm or 50mm objective. It has nothing to do with using a 12 on hunting.

So 2315 whilst sitting in a tower blind or high seat waiting for the keiler or bear of a lifetime you can still get enough light transmission to whack him.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, you have just saved me from a 1500$+ expence.

but i still need a scope for my rifle.
whats the minimum field-of-view you would use on driven hunts?
(i would like a variable magnification that goes a bit higher than 6x for the longer shots)

i've looked at a meopta 2-8x42
at 10m it has FOV of 166cm

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO the best sight for driven hunts is a good red dot without magnification; my BAR is equipped with EAW mounts, so I sometimes switch between an Aimpoint 5000XD and a Leupold Vari X-III 1.5-5x20. Over the years I missed more game with the scope, so I currently seldom use it and I favour the Aimpoint. With a little training it allows amazingly accurate shots up to 140/180 m. and it's much faster.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I beg to disagree. I set my scopes on 2x for running shots from 5 to 150 meters. It allows me to lead moving targets precisely. I switched from iron sights to low powered scopes years ago, never went back to open sights and my killing average on running shots went up from 60% to 80%.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would listen to experience to, rereading my last entry above, I found that I was unclear,

for competition I can go as high as 18X on running moose,

for hunting, I have two 1,1-4X24 scopes S&B,

they are usually set at 2,5-3X.

André what kind of average distance are your shots, do you keep books?

For shots longer than 50 meters a red dot is no longer faster than a low power scope in my opinion.

I have used one extensivly in the army and previously on my drilling.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I have to say my experience of this type of shooting is very limited.

However, it does seem to me that some magnification 2x - 4x is very useful on the typical dark murky grey afternoon when you are shooting in the woods.

The last boar I shot was at 3.15pm on a December evening in pine woods, light was failing. I saw the dark shape of the boar emerge from the trees at about 40m, but he was very diifcult to pick out. Once the rifle was shouldered, I could see him perfectly through the S&B at 3x. The illuminated "X" allowed me to deliver an instant shot.

I could not have done this with irons or a "no-mag" scope.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I don't want to argue with anybody, I would say that the BIG advantage of a no magnification red dot sight, is that, with a little training, you can keep both your eyes open when you aim; that gives you a WIDE field of view, that a 2-3x scope cannot allow. As you can see on the media, red dot sights are widely installed on infantry rifles wordwide, as well as a lot of IPSC pistols and it's not surprising to me. I will try to not post anymore, since I believe that it's a matter of personal taste Wink

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Wildboar, having both eyes open is no bloody advantage to me... I'm blind in my left eye anyway. Wink

The one good eye needs all the help it can get.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your eye, Brian.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen-9.3:
but i still need a scope for my rifle.
whats the minimum field-of-view you would use on driven hunts?
(i would like a variable magnification that goes a bit higher than 6x for the longer shots)

i've looked at a meopta 2-8x42
at 10m it has FOV of 166cm

The problem with this question is that (quite apart from personal preferences) there is no general answer. There are so many positions and conditions you can find yourself in on a driven hunt, that any one sight arrangement is bound to be a compromise.

For really narrow breaks in the vegetation, something like a red dot or open sights might be the best bet. Next stand you might be on the edge of a field where shots out to 100 or 150 yards may be called for. Next stand may be different again. Anything you choose is going to be a compromise, and you have to live with that compromise as best you can.

Like Andre, it is seldom I put my scopes all the way down to the absolute lowest magnification. It is just too often you need your scope to tell you exactly what animal is approaching.

2x is normally fine on the lower end. 16.6 m FOV @ 100 m would be just above what a Kahles Helia C 2.5-10x50 would offer. That would be useable for driven hunting.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can´t you keep both eyes open with magnification?

It´s all in the training, as regards to infantry rifles and IPSC race guns there is a difference, targets are bigger and distances shorter, I have trained with open class guns in IPSC, competed some in stock class with a G19.

Yes the red dot has a lot of good sides, a 1,1X with a red dot is better since I can turn it up to 3-4X.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
While I don't want to argue with anybody, I would say that the BIG advantage of a no magnification red dot sight, is that, with a little training, you can keep both your eyes open when you aim; that gives you a WIDE field of view, that a 2-3x scope cannot allow. As you can see on the media, red dot sights are widely installed on infantry rifles wordwide, as well as a lot of IPSC pistols and it's not surprising to me. I will try to not post anymore, since I believe that it's a matter of personal taste Wink