Notify
Tools

Scope for a 7mm Rem.Mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted
Bought a Ruger M77 MKII in 7mm Rem.Mag.
It came with original rings (low) for a 1 inch tube. Tried to install a Leupold 3-9x50 scope (the only I have with 1 inch tube) but the rings are to low and I can�t find the higher ones.
What scope would be recommended for this rifle considering I wouldn�t be using it that much (just a red deer stalking maybe) ?

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear b.martins.
Go for higher mounts.
Its an awful lot cheaper.

Cheers Rob T.

[ 06-20-2003, 01:43: Message edited by: Rob T ]

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 2.5x8 is a good scope, especially for a rifle you are going to be carrying, or using in a saddle scabbard.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b.martins:
Tried to install a Leupold 3-9x50 scope (the only I have with 1 inch tube) but the rings are to low and I can�t find the higher ones.

It should be easy to find the right height Ruger rings via the Web. Just do a search in your favourite search engine, or try http://www.brownells.com/
There are a TON of places that sell these rings on the web - probably a good deal cheaper than what you pick them up for locally in Portugal (I'm guessing here, having never bought gun related products on the Iberian Peninsula [Smile] )
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would PX the leupold for a new or second hand 6x42 by Swarovski, Zeiss (second hand German made model not new US) or S&B (Hungarian made very good value indeed!)You won't lose any light gathering and will get a better view with your cheek on the stock.

Of these my favourite is the Swarovski in 4a or 4. The 4 has a nice thin cross hair in this model but is still good for low light due to the closer thick posts. Excellent reliable scope to take advantage of your flat trajectory.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would add a standard 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 in any of the good brands from Leupolds on up. It seems most Eorio Shooters like swarvo's etc. Do they work out not much more than leupolds in your corner of the world ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do Europeans insist on using lunar telescopes on top of their rifles?

Any 1" diameter scope with an objective lens 40 mm or smaller will work great for anything as far as you care to shoot unless it's the middle of the night.

A 42 mm lens might fit, depending on who makes the scope.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:

Any 1" diameter scope with an objective lens 40 mm or smaller will work great for anything as far as you care to shoot unless it's the middle of the night.

Sometimes (often?), it IS the middle of the night when we shoot. Ever sat up all night waiting for a bunch of elusive pigs to show up?? A 42 mm (or less) objective lens just won't cut it, nor will a thin reticle. You need a big fat objective lens and a reticle visible in low light. Lighted reticles are all the rage on the Continent at the moment. I've never had one, so I can't really comment to what degree they extend shooting time.

As for 30mm tubes. Don't know if they provide more light than a 1" tube?? But they do offer higher multiples in variables - enabling 2.5-10 (4x magnification jump), whereas 1" tubes normally only offer 3x (3-9, say).
- mike

[ 06-23-2003, 02:55: Message edited by: mho ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:

Sometimes (often?), it IS the middle of the night when we shoot. Ever sat up all night waiting for a bunch of elusive pigs to show up?? A 42 mm (or less) objective lens just won't cut it, nor will a thin reticle. You need a big fat objective lens and a reticle visible in low light. Lighted reticles are all the rage on the Continent at the moment. I've never had one, so I can't really comment to what degree they extend shooting time.

As for 30mm tubes. Don't know if they provide more light than a 1" tube?? But they do offer higher multiples in variables - enabling 2.5-10 (4x magnification jump), whereas 1" tubes normally only offer 3x (3-9, say).
- mike

Point well taken.

I will disagree with you on this:
quote:
As for 30mm tubes. Don't know if they provide more light than a 1" tube?? But they do offer higher multiples in variables - enabling 2.5-10 (4x magnification jump), whereas 1" tubes normally only offer 3x (3-9, say)
There are several 1" scopes that have 2.5-10 magnification, and some with higher ranges.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are several 1" scopes that have 2.5-10 magnification, and some with higher ranges.

Orion,
Yes, I think I have started seeing that. Not sure whether this is "new technology" making this possible, or whether it is a question of "cooking the numbers"?? Some manufacturers are a bit liberal with their scope designations vs. the actual magnification numbers (e.g. what is labeled 2x is really 2.7x, say). It sure would be nice to have a 4x magnification span in a 1" scope! Save that heavy 30mm tube... European scopes normally are a "tad" heavy - at least compared to their American counterparts...
- mike

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for your help!

In the end it was easy to decide what scope to mount. When checking with the store where I bought the rifle to see if they had received the higher rings (which they didn�t) they offered me a Leopold scope at discounted price.
So I bought this 3-9x40 Leopold V-II and will test it at the range next week-end!
Considering the use I will give the rifle it probably will do!.

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote