THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    European Skull Mount...Anybody Have Any Pictures?

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

European Skull Mount...Anybody Have Any Pictures?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a muntjac skull that has been cleaned and bleached and is ready to be mounted on a shield. I am not really sure what "cut" to use or how to display the k9 teeth? The shield is a "standard" one meant for Roe as supplied by Jeager Sport here in the UK. The K9's are currently out of the skull and are a little discoloured near the base...Can i bleach these too?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

[ 02-25-2003, 13:22: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Be my guest, Peter :
 -
The fangs of mine appear to have been bleached by the taxidermist.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Is it yours?

I look forward to seeing the photos!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Andre,

Thanks for that... is the base of the skull "raised" off the the shield to allow for the K9 teeth?

The discolouring on mine is down to the nerve inside the cavity i suspect..I think I will clean it out or inject some bleach in there...

Yes it is mine, I took it earlier this year in Thetford. It is only "average" but has nice K9's and more importantly it is the first half decent munty I have taken!

regards

Peter

[ 02-25-2003, 14:16: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Peter, yes, I had the skull raised as compared to a regular Roe mount so as to show the fangs. BTW, this is the very first I spotted and shot and it was unofficially scored (and confirmed by Herne) as CIC silver. Call it beginner's luck [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
Andre,

One more question, is that skull whole (less the lower jaw of course!) or is it a long cut ie cut just above the teeth but below the eye sockets???

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Right, Pete, unlike the regular cut across the eye sockets, the upper jaw is preserved, with teeth and all. There's only a straight cut at the base of the skull to ease up mounting. Show us a pic of your mount, after it's done.