THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Good European hunting books and dvds?

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good European hunting books and dvds?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I have most of the Hunters Video Range and a lot of British books. What is good? I even have a wonderful book about wildboar from France that was translated as well as a great bok about hunting in Sweden.

Would love to hear what you guys are reading and watching.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most american magazines like Varminthunting and US TV channels like The Outdoors Channel.

The vast majority of the UK and Euro stuff is awefull.Although Hancock did write some decent stuff on the breeding and use of lurchers and terriers.

Posts: 128 | Location: Lost but I have a compass and know how to use it | Registered: 13 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I lived in Europe until 6 months ago, in Italy we had a Caccia e Pesca channel "hunting and fishing", and it was pretty good, though it was in Italian.

I lived in Spain before that. No hunting tv that I saw.

Spain has some wonderful magazines, the Italian ones weren't as good. The germans have great magazines, and though they are heavily toward wingshooting I like a lot of British magazines.

Varmint Hunter is one of our best magazines. Considering that it's kind of a bubba written outfit.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like most Brits my grasp of other languages spoken or written is not what it should be.

A throw back to our old glory days of the British Empire where we rightly expected johnny foreigner to speak english, or we shot him and claimed the place as ours, I'm afraid.

Posts: 128 | Location: Lost but I have a compass and know how to use it | Registered: 13 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Most Americans don't speak another language either. Though with our huge change in demographics toward the increase of folks from Latin America this is starting to change.

I know about 80 hunting-German words, I speak moderatly decent Spanish, and a little Italian.

I don't own any books in languages other than English, as most of the really interesting hunting books from continental Europe have been translated to English.

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Look into Jaktogdvd.no

That`s a guy from Norway producing his own dvd`s, mostly on hunting in Norway, but there`s also a film from Scotland and one from South Africa. Pretty good quality. Don`t know if there`s english subtitles though..

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure I we'd need the Scottish or SA stuff translated.

Having said that some of the lads from up around Peterehead always seem to be speaking another language.Don't know what it is but it sure aint English. nilly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sporting Rifle is a decent UK magazine dedicated to using and hunting with rifles, with lots of deer and vermin hunting articles.

Most of the good DVDs have already been mentioned and the only deer or hunting stalking TV is generally tied in with a cooking programme with an increasing number of chefs who hunt the food and catch the fish for their restaurants on camera. Most of my DVDs are from the Sportsmans Library or USA imports including some good Jack Brittingham DVDs on Alaskan and US big game hunting with rifle and bow.

I also have several James Douglas films on deer stalking in the UK and boar shooting in Tunisia.

There is occasionally a deer stalking section in some general countryside programmes but the BBC doesn't often show footage of animals being shot as the tree huggers don't like it and the better footage is on the satellite channels.

One of the best hunting programmes in recent years was on Channel 4 about five years ago and featured big game hunting in Africa with a theme of showing how local communities benefit from organised hunting. The footage included a long elephant hunt with a bull tracked over a couple of days and also some buffalo and plains game being taken.

Most of the footage was in Zimbabwe and I guess this might have changed in recent years.

My three best hunting books are not European but are:

Hunter by J.A. Hunter (African hunting)
Maneaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett (Indian tiger and leopard hunting)
Hunter Climb High by Keith Sverinson (New Zealand hunting with chapters on India and the US)

Posts: 98 | Location: Vale of Clwyd, North Wales - UK | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote