Notify
Tools

Hunting in Sweden
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about hunting in Sweden. My brother's fiance's grandfather has invited me to go hunting with him while I'm over there next August for the wedding. I'm curious to know what species can be hunted during August (my brother didn't give me any ideas, just said I was going hunting).

Also, anyone know anything about importing the trophy back into the USA? I'd like to, at least, try and get the horns back into the United States to have as a memory of the hunt.

Thanks in advance,

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roe deer or small game, I would guess? If the antlers are boilt well and bleached, you should get them into the US without trouble, it's not a CITES species.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevens,

huntings season opens as follows in Sweden, badger and fox aug 1, roe deer Bucks only and only stalking allows as method, aug 16,

Pidgeons open on the 16 of aug as well, additional spieces are allowed to be hunted when they are in corps or damaging crops.

We have an all year season for boars, in aug there wil be a lot of yearlings and youngs up for shooting.

There is no shooting female boars with cubs, all year.

Hunting in Sweden is done mostly in a laid back and relaxed way, remeber to listen to your guide, and secondly just to get you orientated a 200 yard shot at game, any game in Sweden is a to long of a shot.

If you were to take a 200 yard shot at a roe buck, don´t tell about it, that is my recomendaton.

I am not saying/typing this to be a kill joy, it´s all due to hunting habits in sweden.

Any ways you are most welcome coming here,

best regards Chris/ aka Husqvarna but has gotten locked out from my account

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am back, with my correct handle..

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When bringing the trophy back into the US it needs to be "finished and ready to hang on the wall" and this includes having the skull attached on a wood shield.

I hunt in Sweden almost every year, and generally pick up from the taxidermist and take home the trophies from the previous year. The only problem I ever had was in bringing in a completed moose skull that the taxidermist had attached to a piece of plywood (to protect the skull) because he did not have a wood shield of the proper size. Since it was not ready to hang on the wall I had to leave it with US Customs and needed to provide them with some paperwork from the taxidermist explaining the process he had used in the preparation of the mount.

Are you taking a gun or do you plan to borrow a rifle? If you are taking your own there is a process you will need to go through and a cost (little less than $100) before you arrive in Sweden. It is a lot easier to borrow a gun.

Never hunted as early as August but my guess is the woods will be full of mosquitoes, be prepared.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the subject the mosqitos are not the problem, the tics are, take great care with tic bites, monitor the bite places, and redding and or blotches see a doctor straight away.

BTW Season opens in two hours now, fox and bagders.

Best regardsd Chris

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Kebco,

Aside from having the head ready to be put on the wall, do I need anything else (paperwork?)? Do you know if I can boil the skull myself and put it on a wood shield? My thought was to cut off the skull cap, clean it off, put it on the shield and bring it home. I figured I could see if I could find a spare cape here in the states and use that if I wanted to do a shoulder mount later.

As for rifles, I'm just going to borrow one and avoid the hassle.

Thanks for the help,

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do I need anything else (paperwork?)
I have never had any paperwork for the trophy and never been had US Customs or F&W ask.

I can boil the skull myself and put it on a wood shield? My thought was to cut off the skull cap, clean it off, put it on the shield and bring it home.
Maybe, it will work but you have to do a 100% professional job removing all material on both the inside and outside of the skull cap. The cap is then bleached using a paste so that it is white. You may want to ask on the Taxidermy forum below.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
Where in Sweden are you going?

Roebuck hunting is great hunting and my favourite. Dont worry about insects, they are not that bad and its mostly over by august, its the bears that have the really bad bite.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
He said the town is called Dammit (not sure of the spelling). We got kind of a chuckle over that.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Dammit ? Do you know if its in the north or south ? I live in the north.

AD

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he is hunting in Aug it is probably for roe deer, and or possibly boar. Both are much more common in the south so I would guess he is going to be in the lower 1/2 or lower 1/3 of Sweden.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
We dont have any wild boars in the north, but we have plenty of other animals.
Beaver, brown bear, fox, roe deer, ducks, and i think that north of Sweden has a lot better hunting IMO.
If you are still in Sweden in the beginning of September the moose hunt starts. And late Aug the bear hunts starts and almost all birds can be hunted in the north where i live in the end of Aug.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
csxcs,

I have no idea where the town is located. I've been trying to figure it out myself, but I think I'm probably spelling it wrong thus I haven't been getting any result in my search. I'm confident on the name though because it sounds like a swear word in English.

I figure as long as I end up in the right place for the wedding and get to hunt something as well I'll be a happy camper.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Big Grin. OK. I have tried to figure out Dammit my self, Confused but i didn`t

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A list of all Swedish town, townships and willages,

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_%C3%B6ver_Sveriges_t%C3%A4torter

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dannike

Dannike aka Dammit would be my nr 1 guess, a word/name derived from Danish, Dan eke, meaning even ground.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by csxcs:
Big Grin. OK. I have tried to figure out Dammit my self, Confused but i didn`t