Notify
Tools

The first Cuckoo!?!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To/ Letters Editor, The Times, London

Dear Sir.

Yesterday, I received my first game shooting invitation for the 07/08 season.

Is this a record?

Yrs, Chomondley Harris-Tweed (Bart.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To explain the above.

In earlier years it was normal to write to
the 'Times' newspaper to comment on the arrival of the Cuckoo bird - meaning that spring had officially arrived.

Yesterday, with the administration ability that has taken him to the top of his profession (as a Haddock wrestler and full contact dog trainer) our esteemed Fallow Buck contacted me to arrange a days Pheasant shooting on his ground.

Next year.....!!! Yep, January 5th 2008 !!!

The last season has barely finished and he is already planning my ritual humiliation!

What could I do but accept - and prepare to be showered by falling pheasants as he thoughtfully 'back guns' me...... Sometimes, so effectively he gets them forty yards to my front!!

Cheers Mate!! Smiler

Rgds Ian Wink

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian... that Fallow Buck fella is something else Big Grin Big Grin

The 8x56 S&B now sits on top of the No1 and looks great !

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Arild,

It's funny you should mention that as I'm planning on putting one on the 338 Lapula that I'll be using to poach Ians birds!!!

Ian, you're welcome. After all my job on the shoot isn't just to organise cook and open wine.... I need to provide entertainment too... Wink

By the way I may have a second space on the day but will only know later in the year. Either way invite includes the little one. Fern would be dissapointed with the lack of fuss coming her way otherwise!!

Only one day left already for the whole season apart from the beaters day, and only one full gun left to go too. We must be doing something right!!

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
FB, the 'Little One' very much appreciates your invite!!! Cheers buddy Big Grin

I will be pampering the pooch on my arrival.
Hey, i gotta have some uses as the phezzies seem to be quite safe when i'm around!!!

Moppet!!! Wink

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

Posts: 88 | Location: Sunny Devon, UK | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote