New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identification of risks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Every now and again I try to review my practice to try to avoid accidents.

Thus far the incidents I have had have been:-

Driving early morning - generaly the first on the roads - fast A roads with a sizeable deer population. 3 hits in 10years one of which I was extremely lucky to walk away from. I try to go slow but 30miles at 0430 is an invitation to get going....

Driving while tired - generaly roe rut. Have fallen asleep at traffic lights.

Knives - a lucky escape while group skinning a moose in Sweden (I'll never do that again!) and in a moment of pure sleep deprivation induced idiocy jumping a ditch with a knife in my hand and tripping (missed eye by a fraction)

High Seats - wooden high seats bad! One rung related incident (thankfully injury free). Unfortunately due to theft wooden high seats are a necessity in any that is not extremely private.

Antler injury - punctured foot (and expensive le chameau welly Mad) on dead roe buck just cleaned from velvet while dragging.

Near miss on twisted ankle/broken leg moving across granite boulders covered in bracken

Near hypothermia crossing flooded ditch in height of winter to avoid extra mile walk while under time pressure, ended up taking a lot longer as well!

That's about it so far (touch wood) anything you care to share so we can recognise it and hopefuly avoid it in the future?

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:

Driving early morning - generaly the first on the roads - fast A roads with a sizeable deer population. 3 hits in 10years one of which I was extremely lucky to walk away from. I try to go slow but 30miles at 0430 is an invitation to get going....

Knives - a lucky escape while group skinning a moose in Sweden (I'll never do that again!) and in a moment of pure sleep deprivation induced idiocy jumping a ditch with a knife in my hand and tripping (missed eye by a fraction)

High Seats - wooden high seats bad! One rung related incident (thankfully injury free). Unfortunately due to theft wooden high seats are a necessity in any that is not extremely private.

Antler injury - punctured foot (and expensive le chameau welly Mad) on dead roe buck just cleaned from velvet while dragging.

Near miss on twisted ankle/broken leg moving across granite boulders covered in bracken

Near hypothermia crossing flooded ditch in height of winter to avoid extra mile walk while under time pressure, ended up taking a lot longer as well!

That's about it so far (touch wood) anything you care to share so we can recognise it and hopefuly avoid it in the future?

Early morinig driving is indeed a concern, but thhe only incidents I've come accross involves Ice on the road. I've had two such incidents at the same spot and now slow right down for the bend in the road at Biggin Hill. I think once PeteE was with me and I'm sure that's why he always offers to drive now!!

My biggest issue with Knves has been when there are a few beasts on the ground, hands are a bit "wet" and the edge is dulled. had two incidents of hand slipping up the knife, but managed to release grip enough so I didn't cut myself. A wooden or smooth handle is the worst for this IMO, so I always look at such things when purchasing a knife for this reason now.

I've not had incidents with High seats although I know what you mean about the wobbly wooden option. I think PeteE can comment on that too!! Either way another friend has had issue with Joe Public climbing on the seats and injuring themselves resulting in a liability claim. I think the official H+S stance is you need to have a warning on them even if they are off the beaten track.

That brings me to probably the biggest problem I have. Rogue ramblers. The people that read aboutthe right to roam in Vogue's Xmas special and decided that counted as a passport to goo anywhere they want including pheasant pens and cover crops because their dogs seem to enjoy themselves the most in thos places. I had a particularly scary incident with a lady wearing a deer coloured puffa jacket at last light where I could only see a small bit of colour moving behind the brow of the hill. When she came clear I can't tell you how my stomach turned in my chest. safety was still on safe but I don't want to be there again. A stark reminder to all newbies, (and experienced) that they should only use binos for identifying quarry, never the rifle scope.

The weather has many associated dangers, and indeed sitting motionless in a high seat when it is minus 3-6 is not a lot of fun. A flask of hot tea and a couple of extra layers go a long way to alleiviate the pain. Alternatively stay in bed and go sit in the seat at 8-30 onwards till midday and you'd be surprised hhow the deer like to warm themselves in the sunny spots during such cold weather.

Cold fingers and thick gloves can make flicking safety catches and working bolts a tricky prospect, so always tace extra care when your fingers feel numb.

Other than that I can't think of anything off the top of my head. barbed wire fences and styles should always be crossed with gare and the relevent safety considerations of course.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Driving home at 3.00am from a nights lamping can be a dodgy entreprise. I thought I was going to fall asleep at the wheel last Saturday morning. That and the boy racers rallying around country roads are probably more dangerous than potential firearms incidents.

I nearly got washed away taking a shortcut across a spate river in full flow last summer, rather than walk half a mile to the bridge.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although it didnt happen directly to me, I did get to witness from a distance what happened to a gentleman who took a fall in the mud and then neglected to check/clear the barrel of the shotgun before firing.
After seeing the resulting mayhem I became fanatical about making sure my own shotgun had no obstructions.

Posts: 4150 | Location: Adirondack Mountains, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Early morinig driving is indeed a concern, but thhe only incidents I've come accross involves Ice on the road. I've had two such incidents at the same spot and now slow right down for the bend in the road at Biggin Hill. I think once PeteE was with me and I'm sure that's why he always offers to drive now!!

I think that was the "incident" with the Mini Eeker Eeker I knew if I let out a big girly scream long enough you would stop! Big Grin Big Grin

quote:
I've not had incidents with High seats although I know what you mean about the wobbly wooden option. I think PeteE can comment on that too!!

I have to say I am glad you changed the Iron Pond seat out; I think that was well past its sell by date!

quote:
Alternatively stay in bed and go sit in the seat at 8-30 onwards till midday and you'd be surprised hhow the deer like to warm themselves in the sunny spots during such cold weather.

I am less surprised how a certain stalker just doesn't like those early mornings! Big Grin Big Grin

1894mk2,

This sounds like you are doing a risk assessment?

Reading about the recent case where the Anti's used a Shoots lack of a formal risk assessment to get off a charge in court, its something virtually all shoots and stalking syndicates should be doing there days... BASC do a very helpful leaflet on the subject which I think is also available online..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lifting, lifting, lifting.....Roesacks, big deer through/under fences, into pick-ups with/without ramps on slopes. Hanging carcasses on chiller rails! Not forgetting hand to hand combat with a provoked beast.-Mind the hind legs!
Sweating, overheating in global warmed climate, add adrenaline, lifting, carrying over exertion all rolled together for a heart attack in perfect isolation!.....Get fit, travel light, stay cool.

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:

1894mk2,

This sounds like you are doing a risk assessment?

Pete

I suppose so but it's for my own benefit not to meat any requirement (allready done that)

With age comes a feeling of increasing mortality. I've used a couple of lives - would like to avoid using any more!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah lifting roe sacks, nice little punchure wound to the back (try explaining that to a doctor who`s English isnt very good. 3 stitches) 5 stitches to a little finger,i didnt even know i had caught myself until i took my gloves off and i didnt feel a thing until they gave me a local to clean it up, i also had a branch fall on my head in a strong wind, but that was ok,the dog wasnt though, i thought he was dead, and he will not go to that seat anymore!! nearly rolled the landie and the quad,fell down a rabbit hole as i went down the butt hit the floor and the barrel whacked me in the face! going through some black thorns,one whipped around and hit me in the buttocks and penetrated about 1 inch, i didnt go to the Dr`s to start with, but after about 3 days my whole buttock was infected, because it was so bad and thought it was a boil he had a go at sqeezing it OMG the pain and the puss it was awful and then a course of antibiotic i could go on and on but the old saying holds true "If it can happen it will" and it has with me!! but boy o boy happy days

Posts: 193 | Location: Uxbridge, Ontario | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackthorn! Now theres a swear word... I carried an inch long blackthorn in the fleshy base of my thumb for 5 weeks during which time the hospital failed to retrieve it, just found the pus trail and gave me 4 or 5 stiches. They move and track, a chap I know picked one up in his shin while laying a hedge, a month later it emerged from his calf.

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:

My biggest issue with Knves has been when there are a few beasts on the ground, hands are a bit "wet" and the edge is dulled. had two incidents of hand slipping up the knife, but managed to release grip enough so I didn't cut myself. A wooden or smooth handle is the worst for this IMO, so I always look at such things when purchasing a knife for this reason now.

I've not had incidents with High seats although I know what you mean about the wobbly wooden option. I think PeteE can comment on that too!! Either way another friend has had issue with Joe Public climbing on the seats and injuring themselves resulting in a liability claim. I think the official H+S stance is you need to have a warning on them even if they are off the beaten track.

That brings me to probably the biggest problem I have. Rogue ramblers. The people that read aboutthe right to roam in Vogue's Xmas special and decided that counted as a passport to goo anywhere they want including pheasant pens and cover crops because their dogs seem to enjoy themselves the most in thos places. I had a particularly scary incident with a lady wearing a deer coloured puffa jacket at last light where I could only see a small bit of colour moving behind the brow of the hill. When she came clear I can't tell you how my stomach turned in my chest. safety was still on safe but I don't want to be there again. A stark reminder to all newbies, (and experienced) that they should only use binos for identifying quarry, never the rifle scope.

The weather has many associated dangers, and indeed sitting motionless in a high seat when it is minus 3-6 is not a lot of fun. A flask of hot tea and a couple of extra layers go a long way to alleiviate the pain. Alternatively stay in bed and go sit in the seat at 8-30 onwards till midday and you'd be surprised hhow the deer like to warm themselves in the sunny spots during such cold weather.

Cold fingers and thick gloves can make flicking safety catches and working bolts a tricky prospect, so always tace extra care when your fingers feel numb.

Other than that I can't think of anything off the top of my head. barbed wire fences and styles should always be crossed with gare and the relevent safety considerations of course.

Rgds,
FB

Got to agree with the ramblers comments. I used to control muntjac in the Chilterns, we had 2,000 acres but with Public Footpaths and Bridleways combined with the propensity of the locals for jogging and dogwalking at 4 a.m. we were restricted to about 800 acres and even then you had to watch out for the idiots who didn't think that they had to keep to footpaths.

In other parts of the UK I have frequently had stalks spoilt by ramblers nowhere near a footpath having ignored signs that deer control was taking place. I often wonder what they would say if they know that they had passed within a few feet of a guy with a rifle.

I have recently posted about a near miss with a red stag on the road on another forum. I was driving up the Bray Valley in North Devon in twilight a few weeks ago when I saw the deer come out of some fields and cross the road towards some woods on the other side.

It didn't go straight up into the wood as I expected so I slowed up and when I drew level I gave it a wide berth but at that precise moment the stag decided to go back the way it had come and jumped over my bonnet. It's the closest that I have been to a wild red deer and I was glad that it got a good jump in as I wouldn't have wanted to be any closer. It was a big stag in velvet but on his way to something like a 10 point head.

The image of him passing close by me and making eye contact as he went will live with me for some considerable time!

In terms of other risks I now think about how late in the evening I want to shoot a deer as gralloching single handed with a torch in your mouth is not much fun.

Posts: 98 | Location: Vale of Clwyd, North Wales - UK | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
Driving home at 3.00am from a nights lamping can be a dodgy entreprise. I thought I was going to fall asleep at the wheel last Saturday morning. That and the boy racers rallying around country roads are probably more dangerous than potential firearms incidents.

I nearly got washed away taking a shortcut across a spate river in full flow last summer, rather than walk half a mile to the bridge.
I have to agree with this one, I tend to try to alternate my neck droop with my buddies, unless it's really serious, homer

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reading this thread and on the subject of high seats,

so you are totally covered in the event of a liable case, what wording would be best to put on a sign?

most jo public seem to ignore most other signs but with a high seat you don't want to cause extra grief with the land owner.

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In terms of other risks I now think about how late in the evening I want to shoot a deer as gralloching single handed with a torch in your mouth is not much fun.[/QUOTE]

Sewinbasher

There is an answer! A head torch small enough to do the job and leave your hands free Smiler

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?StockID=16351

Found this more than bright enough to walk out of rough ground in the dark - whilst also being small enough to slip into pocket or onto belt.

Some things I don't leave home without! Smiler

rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ian, I guess we should also add being stranded on the garage roof as another possible risk! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete

You know we swore never to discuss that event - for fear of embarrassing the stalwart of this forum who unexpectedly does not 'do' heights! Smiler

Amazingly, there is still unpublished photographic evidence of that happening! Big Grin

Rgds Ian

posted Hide Post
Ian,

It could have been worse...it could have happened at 4:40am on the way out for a stalk, cos he doesn't "do" early mornings very well either! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I'm actually a little concerned about the catalogue of photo's that is yet to make it's way onto the forum from these two...

I don't remember the Mini... Was that the one onthe roundabout at Downe?

Anyway,

Quad Bikes always pose a problem when recovering deer from random spots.

As is trying to lift the gralloch out of a beast while someone is still busy with a blade. It never ceases to amaze me how people dive in without asking while you are working away.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
For some reason I knew it was going to be you Kiri!! Big Grin

Slippy handled knives plus flayling hind legs are a receipe for disaster....

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As is climbing over a gate - without bothering to remove the Roe sack from your back.

A point driven home (literally) by the sharp antler of the deceased buck as I stepped down off the bars!

The blood flow didn't last as long as the embarassment of having to explain the wound! Smiler

rgds Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at thoose risks you are all thinking of and I have a few more to add.

Compass, don´t go hunting in Sweden without them, if you do well then you´ll never know when you get home again.

Early mornings in pine forrests, watch your steps and the dry branches of the pine, a good whipping in the face will leave marks for days.

Wear blaze orange when moose hunting in Sweden, more than one family feude has been settled in the woods, oooohh well perhaps one is better of not wearing blaze.

On a more serious note, dehydration is thing we tend to owerlook but hunting in the wintertime and in early season,

drinking "fresh" water is a common practice in some parts, better make sure it is fresh then.

Tics and Lime disease is a big risk where I hunt.

/Best regards Chris

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alex.Y:
reading this thread and on the subject of high seats,

so you are totally covered in the event of a liable case, what wording would be best to put on a sign?

most jo public seem to ignore most other signs but with a high seat you don't want to cause extra grief with the land owner.

Alex,

I am not sure you can ever be "totally covered in the event of a liable case" simply because the Law and the Courts work in strange ways at times..

The highseats in Thetford have a fairly simple sign about A4 size which says something like "No Climbing: Authorized Persons Only" ..

I think BASC or perhaps the BDS produce suitable pre printed signs for highseat...

Another aspect to liability avoidance is having a record of your inspection/maintenance schedule ie keeping some sort of record of inspection of the seats plus actions people are required to take if a seat is found to have a serious safety issue...

This approach may seem to be a little overboard, but if your stalking is in anyway commercial or part of a business such a formal let from a farm, its probably required...

Regards,

Pete

posted Hide Post
quote:

Quad Bikes always pose a problem when recovering deer from random spots.
Rgds,
FB

A very valid point especially for people who stalk alone, and in circumstances where anyone injured or trapped after such an accident might not be discovered for some time..

I've posted the pic below before on here, but it shows what can go wrong.

Luckily in this instance nobody was hurt, and the drivers of both this quad and another being used along side it, were both wearing helmets and protective gauntlets ...

There was a certain amount of laughter after the event, but its easy to see how it could have all ended differently and how much worse the situation would have been if the rider had been alone...

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, the horror! Eeker

The poor man, his features have been horribly deformed in the accident!

Eh, what? You mean Griff NORMALLY looks like that!?! Smiler

Or...........

'So, prior to using the quad, we check the sump plug is fully tightened, before moving onto the rest of the daily checks!!

clap

Rgds Ian Smiler

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
well,

horses and hunting can be a very nice combination. BUUUT:

NEVER use pinewood shafts with compound bows, they can break at let off and the rear part will always find the way through your arm.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote