Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 vs 223 for coyote
 Login/Join

posted
Looking for pro/con on 22-250 vs 223 for coyote's. I have Rem. 700 VSSF II in .204 is this to lite of a caliber? Hunting with friends that use's dogs for coyote. Also, thoughts on rifles Savage Predator, CZ Varmint or Brownings WSSM 223 etc. (suggestions?). Will be using factory ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not acoyote hunter though I do have friends who are. I was talking to guys just the other day and all they use is 223. Another friend of mine uses the 22-250 and sometimes a 243. If I were to go,and I may yet, I would opt for my 22-250 or my 220 Swift. I think that the 204 is a little light especially for eastern coyotes though some do use it. I'll save my 204s and 223s for the prarie dogs.

Now to the reason that I really replied to your question. I have 2 Savage VLP's in 204, 1VLP in 223, 1 BVSS in 223, 1BVSS in 22-250, 1BVSS in 220 Swift and one in 25-06. Six of the seven are half inch or better guns at 100 yds and I am currently looking for a scope for the 7th. I saw a predator this weekend and I have to say that it is the first Savage that I ever found ugly but, I don't like camo guns. Unless you absolutely have to have camoflage I think the Savage VLP in 22-250 is a great way to go though it is on the heavy side. By the way my Savage 22-250 will shoot the Winchester White box 45 grain HPs just over 1/2" for five shots at 100. If you are gonna shoot factory loads then this is at least a good practice round and I know some guys are hunting coyotes with it.

"Get yourself a Glock and get ridof that nickle plated sissy pistol."

Posts: 28 | Location: Maine | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any one of the calibers will work for coyotes. If shot placement is a little less than perfect or you are shooting at longer distances there might be an advantage to the 22/250. I would use your 204 and then if you are not happy with the results and not worried about the fur upgrade to something in 6mm or larger. A coyote can be very tough sometimes and the larger calibers seem to just "wipe the smile" off old wileys face.
The #1 chambering I build for serious coyote hunters is the 22/243 Middlested. Some use a 52 gr at 4100 or a 70-80gr 3800-3400.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I love my 22-250!

If you are shooting factory fodder, it is a no brainer, go with the .223. There is more and less expensive ammo available. The only thing the 22-250 has is a bit more "reach". Most coyotes, say 95+% are shot inside 200 yards.

Your .204 is a great coyote round as well, but don't let that get in the way of getting a new rifle!!! Cool

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your .204 is a great coyote round as well, but don't let that get in the way of getting a new rifle!!!
That is great advice.

"Get yourself a Glock and get ridof that nickle plated sissy pistol."

Posts: 28 | Location: Maine | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
I love my 22-250!

If you are shooting factory fodder, it is a no brainer, go with the .223. There is more and less expensive ammo available. The only thing the 22-250 has is a bit more "reach".
Most coyotes, say 95+% are shot inside 200 yards.

Your .204 is a great coyote round as well,

but don't let that get in the way of getting a new rifle!!! Cool

Bob
Sage advice.

One of the guys on AR tag lines is:
I am only one gun away from being happy...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyotes aren't prairie dogs in that you don't shoot 200 rounds in a day. A half dozen shots would be more typical on a good day of coyote hunting. Therefore, the cost of factory ammunition is largely irrelavent.

While a .223 (or even .204 Ruger) will do just fine, for a dedicated coyote rifle, I would choose a .22-250 in a sporter weight gun. The .22-250 will give you just a bit of an advantage when that ol' wily coyote just won't trust you and hangs up out there close to 300 yards. Equip your rifle with a moderate power variable scope and keep the weight down, as you may be walking a lot with it, as well as carrying calling equipment and decoys. It should be relatively short and handy and convenient to use from a sitting position.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have and use a.223, a 22-250, and a .243 on coyotes using respectively a 40g, a 50g and a 55g Nosler Ballistic Tip in them.

I think anyone of them would be adequate as the 223 is at 3925fps, the 22-250 is at 3850 fps and the .243 is at 4050fps. I've shot dogs at long distance with the 223 and had it perform just fine. I would recommend using the rifle that you shoot the best and more accurate with. Try the .204 and see how it works out. JMHO

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
I like and prefer the 22-250 myself but the 204 or 223 will do fine. The smack-down factor is just a little better at longer ranges with the 22-250.

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Although I have used the 22-250 for coyote and think it's a great round, I prefer the 223 for coyotes out to 200-250 yards. If there's a chance that the shots will be any farther, I will take the 243. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot coyotes with about everything out there. Coyotes can be tough. I prefer a 55gr .22 bullet pushed to it's max, 3600-3900. I'm not that worried about range. Most dogs are shot around the 100 yard mark or closer. If you have a gun running a bullet that fast a 400 yard shot is very do-able. I prefer a Swift but if I didn't have it I would use a 22-250. I do use a 223 at times but usually when I know my shots will be inside 250 yards.

Quote "I think anyone of them would be adequate as the 223 is at 3925fps"
Lets get real on that one. If you really are running a bullet that fast out of a 223 it would only be good on PD's. Not enough penetration, the light bullet would blow up on contact.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tx6BR:
I have shot coyotes with about everything out there. Coyotes can be tough. I prefer a 55gr .22 bullet pushed to it's max, 3600-3900. I'm not that worried about range. Most dogs are shot around the 100 yard mark or closer. If you have a gun running a bullet that fast a 400 yard shot is very do-able. I prefer a Swift but if I didn't have it I would use a 22-250. I do use a 223 at times but usually when I know my shots will be inside 250 yards.

Quote "I think anyone of them would be adequate as the 223 is at 3925fps"
Lets get real on that one. If you really are running a bullet that fast out of a 223 it would only be good on PD's. Not enough penetration, the light bullet would blow up on contact.

You are wrong sir!!! I do indeed get 3925fps out of my .223 with a 40g Nosler BT and there is indeed sufficient penetration with that light bullet. I have shot a coyote this last summer at a lazered 576 yards and others from 85 to 275 yards with the same round. The results were a bang followed by a lot of flopping. That is experience not opinion.

I would suggest that you look at Seafire2's load recommendations for a 40 grain bullet at high velocity in .223 using RL-7. After having done so you will then have some experience with the load and it's performance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned the 22-250 and it is great for coyotes and other varments. Don't know why I sold it. I currently own a .223 on the AR platform. It is great for cayotes and ground squirrels too. I am looking foreward to purchasing a .204 just haven't decided between Rem and Savage. I think your .204 will be just fine for 'yotes.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must be shooting WELL over max loads because Nosler only shows 3600fps with a max load of 23.5gr of RL7.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B-23:
You must be shooting WELL over max loads because Nosler only shows 3600fps with a max load of 23.5gr of RL7.

The load I shoot is indeed greater than 23.5 gr of RL-7. Remember each gun is a pressure chamber unto itself and what is max in one shooter is not so in another. Again do a search for Seafire2 recommended loads for high velocity .223 in a 40gr bullet usin RL-7. Actually the load I use is under Searfire's max but with it I was able to obtain the accuracy and velocity I was looking for.

I am using LC brass and have notice no signs of high pressure in this load, although I did reduce this load down 1 gr from a load that I worked up for another .223. Again each rifle is different; this rifle with a 26" barrel could not handle the load of the other rifle.

posted Hide Post
teancum, what twist rate are you shooting.
thanks

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtw:
teancum, what twist rate are you shooting.
thanks

The rifle is a Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint 26" barell in a .223 with a 1-12" twist.

One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
The 223 is a great rifle but ive personally had bad penetration on a few occasions but on larger game such as impala. used factory loads

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote