THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Groundhog Expedition!! PICTURES ADDED!! Thanks Bobby Tomek!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Groundhog Expedition!! PICTURES ADDED!! Thanks Bobby Tomek!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Took my friend Bobby Brown who has two forms of incurable cancers(most of you all have read the posts in the past) and embarked on a groundhog hunting expedition Tuesday 6/30/09. In his words, it was a "Bucket List" occasion! Final tally when we left the field at 9:02PM was 39 groundhogs had been "mailed their airmail invitations home"! Shooting was done with his 22-250, my 6x47(short stuff (125 up to 222 yards) my 204 and my 260. Bobby got to shoot the first chuck which was perched on a rock ledge at 301 yards. Second shot was mine(I offered it to him but he insisted that I shoot), 531 yards on a prairie dog sized chuck which I exploded with a 140 grain AMAX from the 260........red mist was prevalent! That proved to be the long shot of the outing but the 300-400 yard shots using the 22-250 and 204 made up the majority of the shooting. I have pictures but am too dumb to post them! A sidenote is that the farm we were hunting hasn't cut the hay on the "honeyhole" fields yet!! Bobby is already planning a return in 2-3 weeks for a repeat. Judging by the numbers of adults vs. juvenile groundhogs, they had a great nesting year! The next outing will offer more of the 400-700 yard shots and topping the daily total will require some sever wind doping and quality "dialing and dusting". What a great day afield! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Charlie-

That is GREAT. Thanks for posting! And that 531 yard shot is AWESOME!!! But so is Bobby's 301 yarder to get the day going. thumb

If you e-mail me the photos (I'll PM my e-mail shortly), I will gladly upload and post them for you.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

You sure do thing right.. thumb
Kudos on the hunt, and especially taking GOOD care of your friend. That day will live in his heart, forever.

Don

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Here are Charlie's pictures. It sure looks like they had a great time in some beautiful country! thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
Took my friend Bobby Brown who has two forms of incurable cancers(most of you all have read the posts in the past) and embarked on a groundhog hunting expedition Tuesday 6/30/09. GHD

thumbGHD!

beerGreat photos ,Bobby! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool pics GHD!!!
I'm a 9 year survivor of a major cancer in my neck (wasn't suposed to make it on that one, what do they know?). My best friend used to take me out places hunting and fishing too, just like it was all normal. He'll never know how much that meant to me, I'll be eternally grateful. He used to call it taking me for a nap cause I slept so much. There's a special place up there for guys like you and my buddy Aaron. I agree with Roger thumb GHD clap!!!
Nice shooting by the way!! Your ground hogs are sure bigger than our rock chucks.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pix of some equally great chucks.
You guys sure do feed 'em well down there.. Big Grin
Bobby scores on the photos too!! thumb