THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Anybody here read Predator Xtreme Magazine?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody here read Predator Xtreme Magazine?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted
Wondering if anybody here has read the last THREE months Varmint Predator Extreme Xtreme Magazine about how coyotes vision works.
Pretty interesting stuff.

Makes you rethink all that camo with pictures of twigs, leaves and "stuff" on it.

EDIT: I gave my back issues to a friend and I forgot the name.

Musta been a late night...

Link to PX Digital Archives:

Px digital archives

Check out October, November-December and January issues.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have been reading this as well.

All my camo has been Natural gear. Noticed that all of the other stuff seemed to work only in the timber anyway, and when you were 2 to 300 yds out in brown grass or corn fields, you showed up as a black dot (real tree etc).

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Yes it is amazing the difference between human sight (and what we are told works) and how a coyote actually sees "color."

I also thought the pictures with a hunter in camo holding a black rifle (Rem700SPS type) the black rifle really stood out. Might as well have been painted hot pink!
Actually if it was painted hot pink, it may not have stood out quite so much.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean predator extreme?

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:
Do you mean predator extreme?
Yes that is the one. I will change the post title. Thanks.

I gave my back issues to a friend and I forgot the name.

Musta been a late night...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no problem, I thought there was a magazine out there I wasn't getting!

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Since we are getting fussy, it is actually "Predator Xtreme" which is the old "Varmint Masters" magazine. I have written articles for both of them, the old and the new.

That was a good updated article on color detection. They are learing more all the time.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a great article about coyote set-ups in fields using ditches/creek beds as cover in relation to wind, etc, that I could apply to the ground I walk in NC; I needed a good starting point and it provided it. It dealt with the terrain of the eastern US- articles on the subject are lacking.

They cover airguns well, too.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using that red and black camo for years for yotes here in south NY wiht great success, I'm glad the article supported by idea

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got done reading the digital version, that magazine has everything in it!! just bought a 6 month subscription of it... Great Magazine!!!

----------------------------

Posts: 124 | Location: Waukeenah, Fl | Registered: 22 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I did not realize you were an author. I took Varmint Masters switched my subscription over to VX. I'll have to get you to tell me which issues you have articles in so I can go back and read them, maybe even get your autograph one day
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I want one too Bob. Great magazine with down to earth hunting and info. Can't wait to get to the recliner every time I find one in the mailbox. God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Since we are getting fussy, it is actually "Predator Xtreme" which is the old "Varmint Masters" magazine. I have written articles for both of them, the old and the new.

That was a good updated article on color detection. They are learing more all the time.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Well now, you do look mighty familiar, Bob Wink

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
There was a great article about coyote set-ups in fields using ditches/creek beds as cover in relation to wind, etc, that I could apply to the ground I walk in NC; I needed a good starting point and it provided it. It dealt with the terrain of the eastern US- articles on the subject are lacking.

They cover airguns well, too.
I liked that idea, too.
There was an article about hunting along rural highways that I thought was interesting.

Many times driving past "roadkill" on HWY 58, I would see the animal in the morning, and it would be gone by the afternoon. Never really thought to hunt the areas off the highway.

I did walk along both sides of a couple of really straight stretches of the highway and there are game trails on both sides of the guardrail. Even found some coyote tracks...

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eurocentric:
I've been using that red and black camo for years for yotes here in south NY wiht great success, I'm glad the article supported by idea
Yep, maybe those old guys you used to see wearing red and black checkered "hunting" shirts and black and white striped "hickory" shirts weren't that crazy after all...

Well, maybe a little bit Wink

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bob
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:
no problem, I thought there was a magazine out there I wasn't getting!
No offense taken. That is probably where I got confused.
It is the same magazine, I just "blended" the names.

And to think I prefer stirred... Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
It is funny that this should come up now. I have been getting harangued for some time, especially by my old "friend" Jay Nistetter of Rhino Media Solutions, about how long it has been since I wrote an article for "Predator Xtreme" or "The Trapper & Predator Caller". The last article for T&PC was September 2002: "Where Can I Call Coyotes?"

I broke down and just submitted a new article to Ralph at PX involving electronic callers.

The last article done for PX was: "The Internet-Hunting's New Campfire?"

PE has really come a long way since Ralph Lermayer took over the helm as Editor. The content is continually improving. I hope I can contribute a bit to that......

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
PE has really come a long way since Ralph Lermayer took over the helm as Editor. The content is continually improving. I hope I can contribute a bit to that......

Good Hunting,

Bob
I have no doubt you will contribute positive, educational experiences to the magazine.

I just got my new issue yesterday.
The "enhanced" pictures of how a coyote sees camo are AMAZING.

Really makes you think about limbs, leaves and berries camo...

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I added a link to Predator Xtreme's digital archives.

---Mike

Link to PX Digital Archives:

Predator Xtreme digital archives

Check out October, November-December and January issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a bobcat spot my slight movement at 130 yds while I was in full camo. I believe they are better at spotting movement than Coyotes.
The cat stopped and just watched me for nearly 2 hrs, before he moved. off. I was extremely impressed.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eurocentric:
I had a bobcat spot my slight movement at 130 yds while I was in full camo. I believe they are better at spotting movement than Coyotes.
The cat stopped and just watched me for nearly 2 hrs, before he moved. off. I was extremely impressed.
They had an article last spring on bobcats. Yes their eyesight is MUCH better than a coyotes. I don't remember exactly how they compare (color-wise).

It may be that coyote vison is just so much WORSE than a bobcats, not that bobcats have excellent vision.

I was surprised at the recreations of coyote vision, just how bad their clarity of detail is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading those articles and seeing the pictures of the black rifles, ball caps and faces, I painted my .243 stock a mottled tan and bought head covers and boonie hats for my son and me. clap

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Flippy,

My lastest article on e-callers is in the April issue.

Bob (Connell)

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I haven't received mine yet. Will be looking for it.

---Mike

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif. Hunter:
After reading those articles and seeing the pictures of the black rifles, ball caps and faces, I painted my .243 stock a mottled tan and bought head covers and boonie hats for my son and me. clap

mind your boots, too- latest issue had mention of black soles being visible whereas the tan soles aren't; the info was in a reader's response, IIRC.

...got me a boonie, too Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Got my March/April issue today.
Well I'll be danged, there it is on page 72, as simple as A. B. C. But where is that picture of smiling bob (not enzyte bob) that we've come to know and love on your avatar.
Also, is the picture of the callers in this article the one from your lease that you had posted here and at TPP?
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
GW,

Yep, that is the photo. We had seven different e-callers in camp at the deer lease. The other two photos are from my annual Coyote Safari to New Mexico between Christmas and New Years.

Bob