New
Find
Notify
Tools

coyote calling questions
 Login/Join

posted
Okay...

I've tried calling coyotes before & had pretty much no luck, so I'm re-evaluating my techniques. When you call coyotes, do they usually try to come in from the downwind side, or do they just come in any way they can? Also, when you guys call, do you call for a long time or do you just call in short intervals? Do you make really long squeals or just repeat lots of very short 1 second or 1/2 second type squeals?

What would you guys say is the most important aspect of trying to call?

I've got a good gun, and I'm a pretty decent shot. I don't intend to keep the hides or anything. I just know there are way too many coyotes around here, and I thought I'd enjoy trying to thin some of them out. Any tips that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Jerrod

Posts: 16 | Location: SW Oklahoma | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here are a few rules that i live by. always call into the wind, being able to look aways to the downwind side. wear some camo. it doesnt have to be fancy, but the more the better. the tighter the cover the less you call, the more open it is the more you call. do not move. try and stay still. alway try and to sit in front of something to break up your outline. never skyline yourself. your sets should be at least 15 minutes, 20 or longer being better. i have killed alot of dogs at 20 minutes+ into a stand. call for 45 seconds then give it 3-4 minutes before resuming. adjust accordingly to the terrain. start out very soft in volume coyotes can hear from wayyyy out. if your not seeing coyote sign(tracks and scat) find some place that has alot of it. no sign = no dogs. keep a record of where you call, what you saw, and dont call the same place to often. there will be alot of trial and error that you will have to work through, but once you bring in a dog you will be infected with a wonderful disease! most of all have fun!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good advice from hvyw8t. I like to call with the wind in my face or a crossing wind also try to have the sun at your back so the coyote is looking into it and try to have a good view of the down wind side coyotes will circle down wind.Picking your spot to call from is far more important than the sounds you make. You can't killem if can't seeum.

Posts: 5 | Location: Montana | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've gotten some good information here from the other two guys. The only thing I can add is you might want to think about getting a cassette tape or two and imitate those sounds. The tapes work so if you can sound like them you'll get coyotes in too. After you gain a little bit of experience you can vary the sounds and find a combination that works for you, but that will give you a good place to start from.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do all the stuff listed here plus.....make sure there are coyotes in the area where you're calling. Check game trails and natural crossings for tracks and droppings. Scout areas that look good before ever calling them. Another tip is to go to areas that look good, during the night. Listen for the howling. If you hear it, it's a guarantee they're there.
For coyotes to be in an area, they have to have a food source. Bunnies are probably #1 and that's why rabbit calls usually work best. If jacks or cottontails are there, it's a sure bet the yotes are too. If you're in cattle country, calving time (now) is a good time to seek permission from ranchers.
Don't over call an area. I wait a minimum of a month before I call again in the same area. By the same token, be sure you're not in an area being heavily called by others.
Springs a good time to learn calling. The pups are out and uneducated. It's a lot easier to learn on young dumb coyotes, than old smart ones.
Don't give up, just re-group!

Posts: 101 | Location: Reedley California | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good advice from Mike here's a little something I read about on locating your coyotes before you call.
On average a coyotes home territory will be roughly 25 square miles {5 miles by 5 miles} so that is 25 sections,if you stop and call in a section that looks like a good spot,and I'm sure there are coyotes there on occassion,your odds of having coyotes in that section are 25 to 1,so you have a 4% chance of calling a coyote. Where if you can locate them you know where they are,so it's easier to find a spot to set up because you know which way they will be responding from.

Posts: 5 | Location: Montana | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Dont want to sound redundant , but Hvyw8t , pretty much summed up what should happen . If your calling alone dont be suprisied if you might have called a coyote and just not seen it . As far as the most important asppect , persaverance , keep on trying , work at it . I've seen a coyote run like the wind up a canyon at the first blow of a call , only to watch two come barreling strait for it . Just never quite know whats going to happen . Keep posting let us know what's happening good bad otherwise .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerrod
I do not think there is enough room to explain all the techniques in calling coyotes. All the advice you have and will get will be of value. However, my recommendation is to find a guy that knows how to call and go out with him and learn. The more you hunt the more you will realize that there is no one answer.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've been into predator calling since I was about 10 years old. I have learned much over the years. What I can tell you for sure is there are no hard and fast rules to predict outcome.

You've recieved very good advice from everyone. I think movement ( limiting it) and concealment are the most important. I've had coyotes try to circle downwind, but mostly they've come in from the most convient path, often straight at me! I just called in a bobcat wearing less than Ideal clothes and it came straight in and pretty quickly. What I'm getting at is coyotes break their own rules. Wind direction is important, the sun at your back is great if it works out that way, camo is important but can be worked around. Nothing is absolutely cut in stone! My first double on dogs when by myself came when I was dressed in blue jeans, a Carhart coat and ball hat. I sat behind a downed log with some brush around me. It was enough that time. I hadn't planned on calling, I was there for another reason and heard them howling. I took advantage of the situation. I've also done the face painting and used veils to conceal my face. This is important if the sun will be shining on you. Facial hair works great if you can keep a beard.
How you sound is what brings them in. No doubt about it. The thing is in nature not even the animals sound "right" all the time. Get some tapes and pay attention to how it sounds. Then check out someone elses and you'll find slight differences. I leared from my father and we don't call alike at all.
Primo's has Truth series tapes and I think they are about as real as you'll ever see on screen. They'll show mistakes and the ones that get away. I started with a Burnahm Bros. tape and eventually a couple others. By listening to the different sounds these guys were making and then spending time in the field I think I've become pretty good at it.
I still get skunked sometimes. Looking for sign is important and coyotes move with the food. If you see deer around there will be coyotes too. Then again just because they were there before doesn't meen they'll stay. The ranch I'm on seams to be as dead as I've ever seen it. Last year I was tripping over coyotes and couldn't kill enough of them.
Just enjoy yourself!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote