Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 Excite You Anymore?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy;I live north of you,in west cental saskatchewan,Canada.I like using my range finder alot.Before i start calling i range my distances,so when one comes in i have a pretty good idea how far he is.I also just got a savage 93r17 hmr. called a yote into 45yards,little bullet went right threw both shoulders,and dropped him.But i think 60yds would be the max that i would shoot at a coyote with it ,for a clean kill shot. Big Coulee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it work anymore? Confused Is it startin' to bounce off 'yotes?

Happy New Year,

Tom

Posts: 43 | Location: Greater Los Angeles | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
With the luck I was having when I was trying out the 40 grain BT's.....yes, I would have to say they are bouncing off them! rotflmo

Evolution is a strange and complex process...and they say intermediates forms have no function....I swear Moscow hide and fur is buying the skins only to harvest the Kevlar....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Coulee: I have only shot two Coyotes with my Ruger 77/17 V/T (in 17 HMR) and both were one shot kills! One was head shot (looking over the sage at me) and the other was heart/lung shot.
Both were shot right at 100 yards distance from my stands.
The heart/lung shot Coyote spun a bit and dropped dead and the head shot one went right down.
In the area I was using the 17 HMR on Coyotes it is only open to Coyote Hunting during the Antelope, Deer and Elk seasons. Its far from me and the reason I go there is to Hunt Deer! I don't want to scare the Deer all out of my draws and such so I use the 17 HMR for Varmints, in the "off hours" - so to speak.
Yes there is a definite limit distance wise to quick and humane kills on Coyotes with the 17 HMR but I tend to think its a tad further than 60 yards. Maybe 120 yards or so.

IdahoVandal: I have not used the 40 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips on Coyotes much. Your experience is negative on them though huh?

Keep after them Coyotes boys! I can't wait to get my VarmintMother-in-law and VarmintSister-in-law out of here and the two VarmintSons back to college so I can get out in this mild winter weather and bonk some Montana White Coyotes myself!

Long live the 223!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
VG: Yes, I drew blood on two of them- 1 at 120 yards, solid rest, sitting on his haunches, he jumped in the air biting at his underbelly, spun in the snow and took off. Went to the site, found blood splatter--no coyote. I tracvked him in the snow as far as I could but eventually lost the tracks because there were literally dozens of sets crossing in the snow. The other was the next day, trotting across a ridge top at about 250, shot it and it jumped and started biting its back leg, I shot again and it whirled around and took off. No blood splatter but blood drops for a few yards and then nothing. These were loaded to about 3500 fps and when I checked at the range they were still dead on (1.8 high at 100)....

Next day, switched to the 60 Sierra and killed the one seen in the recent photo. Probably has more to do with where I hit 'em than the bullet but I had heard from a few folks that the 40's are not the best choice for coyotes...

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy; Just wondering whether you like using hand calls,or electronic calls.I like the hand calls,because you can change your sounds to make them sound more real.I find that with electronic calls the sound is to much the same all the time,an the coyotes here don:t respond to them that well. the biggest problem is too many guys with the electronic calls,have called the yoyes in an missed them.I don:t know about your coyotes,but ours learn real quick what is real an what is not. Big Coulee

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Coulee: I have used my Johnny Stewart Electronic Cassette caller for 25 years or so. It finally gave up the ghost for good a while back! I have some great cassette tapes for Coyotes and Crows and such.
I need to get one of the new Computer board calls. I have friends with them and I have been sniggling off of them for some time now.
I also have 12 or 15 hand calls and use them as much or more than I used the electronic calls!
I do though take extra time and effort to find GREAT calling set-up sites!
The site for calling from is the key to killing Coyotes. Remote spots and spots with correct wind and spots with lots of area to view are important! In all my travels to distant towns, on fishing trips and on Deer, Elk, Bear and Antelope Hunts I make notice of where I see Coyotes and when I get a chance I go Hunt them.
Yes its obvious when I get into an area that has lots of Coyote track and sign and yet no Coyotes come in to my calls then I know the Coyotes are call shy.
Options are still available like Hunt them from a blind over bait or just from a blind at key times of the day or spotlight them at night without calling etc!
More later phones ringing!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy you might want to try some Reloder 10x with that bullet in your .223. I'm using surplus BLC-2 in mine with 50 V-Max's and Blitzkings. Shots pertty well for me. AA2460 is another good choice. Anyway let me know how your new load works out. The .223 I have is my only one it's a VSSF probably my most used gun.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay Johnson: Thank you for the heads up on the Reloader 10X and the AA 2460 I have noted those recommendations in my loading log book.
By coincidence I just got home from the range with my first results with the XR-100 in 223.

RANGE RESULTS WITH XR-100 in 223 REMINGTON!
Well I woke up this morning with "In-law-itis" if you get my drift!
The wind was very near zero at my home at 0700 hours so I packed the VarmintMobile in record time as this is the first no wind conditions I have seen in 12 days!
My private range is 20 miles south of me and by the time I got to my range the wind was back - WITH A VENGEANE! It began to blow at 15 MPH+, and it was a rather cold 25 degrees!
I decided to put the NOW wasted morning to use as best I could. This Rifle had not been sighted in or barrel broke in so I got that done with the Federal factory FMJ ammo I have a BUNCH of. All went well and when I had done my barrel break-in my final (only) 5 shot group at 100 yards measured .502" with the FMJ ammo!
I was thrilled with this - especially as this Federal ammo has never really shot well in any of the 223's I have tried it in and/or used for barrel break-in!
So even though I didn't get to shoot either of my Berger bullet test handloads it was a grand morning. On my travels to and from the range I saw Mule Deer, Antelope, a cow Moose, Geese, Mallards, Bald Eagles, Whitetailed Deer, a Fox, a Muskrat and some Pintail Ducks that are somewhat rare to see here abouts. No Coyotes sneaking around or I would have "blooded" this new Varminter!
Long live Remington!!!
It was GREAT to get out of the house and great that my new Rifle shot so well in the poor conditions!
Love that XR-100 trigger!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well glad to hear the new rifle shot well for you since you were dealing with a little wind chill there.

A question Dale have you had problems with hang fires there using ball powers in the cold weather in Montana?

Oh another good 223 powder I've used is AA2015 used it on my neighbors AR he said it was the best stuff he'd ever shoot in it. Used it with a Sierra 55 grain bullet and GM205M primers.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay Johnson: Negative on the hangfire situation so far! (Knock on my head!)
Now AA 2015 is a powder I am familiar with. I use that fine powder in a couple of my Rifles.
I to am a firm believer in the Federal GM 205 (Match grade) primers - that is all I use for ALL my small Rifle needs.
As far as I am concerned the Federal 205M primers completely erase one variable in my load testing and shooting concerns.
Long live the 223!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
The 223 was my first dedicated varmint caliber. After much research and thought I am still glad today that I own one. My first was an H&R break-open single shot with a heavy barrel. Many varmints fell to that rifle and I shot it so much I wore out two extractors!

My only current 223 is a Savage 112 BVSS in 223. I have near 10,000 rounds down that barrel and the throat is darn near gone. Even so handicapped the rifle still averages 5/8" groups (it used to average 3/8").

I cut my reloading teeth on the 223 too as I recall.

One of the best prarie dog calibers of all time imho when you factor in cost, easy of getting ammo anywhere, accuracy, low barrel heating and the ability to spot your own hits/misses without a brake.

The 223 is good for much longer ranges on pdogs than most people give it credit for. A couple years ago I took two dogs off the same mound at 605 yards on a very rare calm Wyoming afternoon.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stormbringer: WOW - on your long range hits with the 223!
Sheesh - thats impressive!
I have taken MANY Prairie Dogs and even some Rock Chucks with my various 223's out to 460 yards or so. But a 460 yard shot is a long and difficult distance from 605 yards!
Again congrats.
Yeah those long shots are MUCH easier to accomplish in calm air!
Still your premise is very correct - every once in a while I see a person declare that the 223 is a 250 yard Rifle!
I have just begun with my 223's at 250 yards! I normally do not shoot Prairie Dogs under 200 yards distance with my centerfires! That would not accomplish what I am trying to do when I Hunt Prairie Dogs. No satisfaction under 200 yards, no challenge, no addition to my shooting, ranging and my into the wind holding skills! AND fewer Prairie Dogs next year to "challenge" me.
If I am Hunting on one of my ranches that is really plagued with the PD's and the rancher needs more relief - then I will hammer the close ones with my 17 HMR, 17 MachIV, or my 22 Hornet, my 218 Bee's, 221 Fireballs etc!
With todays bullets, optics, range finders and a good spotter or a heavy Rifle to erase the recoil of the 223 it is certainly a 500 yard Varminter! And as you proved with more expertise of the shooter its a 600 yard Varminter!
Long live the 223 Remington.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with a BB gun at 10, 22 rimfire at 12, a 12 gauge at 14, 308 at 14, a 30-06 at 35, 20 ga at 35....300WN at 54.

I never shot a .223 until I was 44.

Now at 54, the .223 is my favorite caliber rifle.

It reaches way out there.
It is quiet.
It is cheap.
It is accurate.
I can download with 13 gr of Blue Dot and the barrel stays cool and clean.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
The 223 is still one of the most inexpensive and effective varmint rounds out there. It's hard not to like. I have shot over 6,000 rounds through mine at prairie dogs, cats, badgers and antelope. Easily another 10,000 through various M16's and AR15's.

Not a barrel burner, easy to find accurate factory loads for and available everywhere.

How can you not still be excited about it?

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy,

Those mirage tubes come from Nightforce. They cost about fifty bucks new. They fit their 56mm scopes and are 12 inches long. I saw one on eBay several weeks ago that was 18 inches long. It may have been an earlier model now no longer produced. I don't think anybody else makes them, but I am open to hearing yes or no.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rootbeer, The mirage tube off of eBay is the one I bought and I think the fellow said he got it about 5 years ago from Sinclair.
I bought it to try on my composite remmy but have not had a chance to get out and try it here as the weather is a damn mosoon. You know, thats how we got the name, the evergreen state Big Grin
Soon as it warms up I will be giving it a workout and report back

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
thats how we got the name, the evergreen state

Jim,

Same down here in Oregon.. Monsoon season this year...

Washington uses the name Evergreen State.. because it sounds more appealing that the " Soaking Wet State, that is full of Jungle Undergrowth Because of All the Dam Rain".... which is actually what the word "Oregon"... means in most Native American language....

IN Oregonian Indian languages the word "Oregon" means " Won't this Dam Friggin Rain Ever STOP?????"

Just needed to point that out.. remember it all use to be Oregon Territory once upon a time.... Roll Eyes

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire, thanks for the chuckle rotflmo
God, this weather is gettin me down, I don't think it has stopped rainin for several days. The bad thing is it is to wet to even yote hunt in my honey holes unless I put on the hip waders.
I have had lots of time to play with an change scopes around on several of the varmit rigs, so not all is lost.
If you remember the big flood a few years back when the water was about 6' over I-5 near Chehalis,Wa. well that is about 1 mile from mt home, and yes I had water in the house. Mad

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmyd223: My mother often reminds me I was born on a torrentially rainy day in mid July out there in the Puget Sound country of Washington State. She relayed to me how the windshield wipers on my parents car could not keep the rain from obscuring their view as they drove to the hospital for my impending birth. My mom was in tears due to the worry over the downpour and the dreadful driving conditions that JULY!
Several of my friends have called me this past week from the Puget Sound region and even the native Washingtonians (the ones with the "webbed toes"!) are complaining about the rain!
The record, I understand, in the Seattle area is 33 straight days of rain and they are now on day 24 of what may just be a new record string of raining days!
Sheesh - I don't miss that drizzle one bit!
By the way it was dry and warmish here in SW Montana today!
A bit windy but that made the Ducks and Geese easier to hit as they came in to our decoys today!
I did not get out waterfowling yesterday as I was giving a driving lesson to a friends daughter.
Yesterday my waterfowl Hunting friend, Ben, killed a Coyote that was stalking the decoys!
He layed it low with one shot from his 12 gauge 3" Magnum with #T steel-shot!
It was just glorious here today for waterfowling and I was laying in the dead grass all day and never got wet!
Not even a little wet!
Long live Montana!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I lived 35 years in Seattle.....still don't miss the rain, still don't miss the crime....still don't miss the traffic....still don't miss the cost of living.

I do miss Grande Vanilla Breve Lattes from Rooster's Espresso on Lake City Way though......(sigh) beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Vandal: Let me guarantee to you that your life will be happier, fuller, longer and BETTER living outside the city limits of Seattle!
I am going to be doing a body guard assignment in the near future in Seattle and if we get by that Espresso place I will purchase my first ever espresso and drink it in your honor!
Be ever so thankful for your new digs there in the Palouse Country!
By the way the VarmintWife killed one of your Owls last Sunday when she was dropping the VarmintSon off at college there in the Palouse!
The poor Owl took out the huge foglight of her new SUV!
Sheesh!
This is the second Owl the VarmintWife has massacred with her various SUV's in the last 5 years!
The other poor Owl took out her power antennae!
I feel bad for all the birds that get bonked along our nations highways!
Shame that.
Anyway I will swill down a Grande Vanilla Latte for you when I am out there protecting one Seattlelite from the other Seattlelites!
Its a human zoo out there!
In all honesty I have to state that here on Wednesday January 11th at 10:24 A.M. it is now RAINING - and thats at 5,400' elevation in SW Montana in JANUARY!
Now that is a rarity!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Swede44Mag: Oh boy! I am sitting on a small pile of 223 accuracy test loads right now! I hope we can continue to share load info on our twin Rifles!
I am waiting for the wind to quit here in SW Montana and I will be at my range in no time flat!
Yikes - on that sloppy Remington XR-100 trigger! The two XR-100's I have are both crisp as can be (trigger wise) and very pleasing for me?
I have several Jewell triggers on some of my Varminters and they are superlative pieces of equipment!
I have several boxes of Berger 52 grain bullets and I will gladly send you 10 or 20 for your testing! These BR quality bullets are very frangible in the field as well as lethal on Varmints in my experience.
They are a little pricey and a little hard to find at times but I have a couple of Rifles that realy shoot well with them!
Let me know if you want to try some - gratis.
Good luck with the XR-100 from now on!
That Wilson die should make you some very consistently straight ammo for your testing!
Wishing you calm winds also!
I am trying H335 and VihtaVourhi N133 with the Berger 52's first off in my XR-100!
Sounds like your Rifle WANTS to shoot real well already!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Sorry about the slow responce to your post I was off for the holidays and didnt have an internet connection at home. I got sick on Saturday just before the Christmas holiday got over that in 4 days and just before New Years got the flu and ended up with walking penumonia and missed another week of work. Needless to say I havent had a chance to get out to shoot the XR-100. Let me know how your H335 and VihtaVourhi N133 with the Berger 52's bullets works for accuracy. I am very pleased with the XR-100's accuracy and I believe it will be a winner.

Do you happen to know what the trajectory will be in your riffle from say 100 yards to 400 yards with a zero at 200 yards? I realy need a balistic caculator and a place to shoot long range to test the rifle.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44Mag: Here is the posting I made regarding the 223 and the 52 grain Berger bullets accuracy tests.
To say I was pleased and ecstatic about the way it shot would be understating things!

Yikes on your recent illness's! I hope you are doing well now!
I am going to work on a trajectory chart for you (and me) with the 52 gr bullets sighted in at 200 yards then on out to 400 yards. That will be in a seperate and hopefully soon to follow posting.

Heres the post:

Posted 02 January 2006 00:41
What a way to start the New Year. I just shot one of the best groups I have ever shot!
I have been waiting for weeks it seems for a "calm air" day to do load testing on my new Remington XR-100 in caliber 223 Remington.
I had bought this Rifle in early December on a whim and on a "hunch"!
I was so broke after buying it I had to rob a scope off of another Rifle for this one!
I did intend to go all out on this Rifle though in my quest to make it accurate! I began by buying Lapua 223 Match brass for it. I bought a new set of Redding 223 standard dies exclusively for use on this Rifles ammo. I also chose to set it up to shoot the wonderful Berger 52 gr H.P. bullets! The runout on my test loads was averaging about .0025" for the 20 test rounds I made up for it. And I was able to seat these Bergers just a couple thousandths of an inch off of the leades of the rifling! I adjusted the wonderful 40X style trigger on it down as low as it would go.
I was at my range a couple days ago to break-in the barrel of this Rifle and it shoot some factory ammo into one good group of .502". I knew this Rifle was going to be a shooter then and decided not to try to shoot my hand loads in the blustery winds that came up once I had gotten to my range!
Well this morning (New Years Day!) I woke up early to one inch of new powder snow a bright sun rising and no wind!
I threw my freshly cleaned XR-100 and my gear into the VarmintMobile and sped to my range!
I was amazed at the stillness of the air once I got to my range! My lone wind flag never shuddered even once!
The blazingly bright winter sun was low and at my back! My BR target glowed so brightly in my Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope I had to kind of squint at the "glare" from the target. My eyes slowly got used to it and I flung an "oiler" down range!
The I started out on my testing! The first load I tested was using H 335 powder, the Lapua cases with Federal 205M primers and the Berger 52's.
I was just bubbling with glee when the first 5 shot group at 100 yards measured .326"! The coldness (22 degrees) and the stillness of the air made for an amazing amount of scope blur due to heat mirage! If you can imagine. I could barely feel ANY heat or warmth coming through to my touch of the barrel. Never the less I got out my small battery operated fan and sat it up to blow down the length of my barrel. No more mirage. I fired the next 5 shot group and I won't bore you with the agony of how it progressed - in the making and sweating out that group - but when I got it home and measured it with my Brown & Sharpe calipers it measured .121"!
I think that is the best group I have ever fired with any Varmint Rifle! I have shot maybe eight or ten better groups with some of my 36x equipped Remington 40X's but for a factory stock Rifle and a 25x scope and with bullets that also do duty as Varmint bullets - this is a smokin good, screamer of a group in my mind!
Well I was done with that load and was literally shaking not just from the cold in the shooting shack but from anticipation of what my next load using VihtaVouri powder was going to do!
Well it was anti-climatic because the wonderful feeling and great looking little Remington did not like the VihtaVouri powder near as well as the H 335!
The 2 groups I shot next measured .486" and .613". The larger group had a flyer but I am sure this Rifle is gonna be near an honest .250" factory Rifle with the H 335 load!
And that pleases me to the max!
One more trip to the range with some more of the H 335 loads in the now fire formed Lapua brass and this wonderful little Rifle I think is gonna be relegated to long range (250 to 475 yards) Varminting duties from now on!
That is kind of a shame as this Rifle is just a joy to shoot at the range!
What a way to start the new year!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44Mag: Here is the trajectory table I made up from the free site JBM Ballistics.
Sierra 52 gr. HP/BT Matchkings at 3,400 FPS.

Calculated Table
Range Drop Drop Windage Windage Velocity Mach Energy Time Lead Lead
(yds) (in) (MOA) (in) (MOA) (ft/s) (none) (ft-lbs) (s) (in) (MOA)
0.0 -1.5 *** 0.0 *** 3416.2 3.060 1347.3 0.000 0.0 ***
100.0 1.3 1.2 1.2 1.1 2955.3 2.647 1008.2 0.094 16.6 15.9
200.0 -0.0 -0.0 5.0 2.4 2527.8 2.264 737.7 0.204 35.9 17.2
300.0 -6.8 -2.2 12.3 3.9 2136.9 1.914 527.2 0.333 58.7 18.7
400.0 -21.2 -5.1 24.0 5.7 1775.5 1.590 363.9 0.487 85.8 20.5

I hope you can decipher this trajectory info the pertinent numbers are the drop numbers at 300 and at 400 yards and they are:

300 yard drop = -6.8"
400 yard drop = -21.2"

Aagin I hope you are able to decipher this and I am going to do some checking on these initial numbers but I lend them credence so far.

I have double checked the numbers above with an older Sierra Manual I own. The drop numbers are close but not exactly the same as the above numbers and that may be due to elevation or humidity or scope height or what ever?
Here are the drop numbers from the Sierra Manual:

100 yards = +1.19"
200 yards = 0.00"
300 yards = -6.31"
400 yards = -19.57"

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
VG: Definetly give Roosters a try-- its like drinking breakfast!

Sorry to hear about the car (and the poor owl) such is the way of things, I officially start at WSU in May with my field work being done in Colville, Kettle Falls, Brewster and Cle Elum-- still be living here in ID of course (the hunting is too good....)

IV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Vandal: I cut my teeth Hunting Rock Chucks out of Brewster, Washington!
They used to have a huge billboard welcoming everyone to Brewster, Washington - "The Tick Capital Of the World"!
City fathers got tired of that after about 25 years and took it down!
Best of luck in your studies and in your field work!
Breast feathers of Owl are still imbedded in the broken light and frame!
Yeah, poor Owl!
I hear the Bears are getting "hip deep" in many parts of Idaho!
I have a friend here locally who goes over and guides Hunters for Bear in Idaho. The limit is two Bears in some areas and he usually tags out all his Hunters!
Yeah for sure keep the Idaho status in tact for the wonderful Hunting opportunities!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
I realy need a balistic caculator and a place to shoot long range to test the rifle.

Swede44mag, go to JBM Calculations and use the free on-line calculators.

He has all kinds of them.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Varmint Guy hows the coyote hunting going,so far i have shot seven,three of which fell with my .17 hmr.Good hunting Big Coulee

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big coulee: I have only killed one Coyote since the end of Big Game Hunting Season. I got three during my long Antelope, Deer and Elk season.
I have another trip planned for this Friday to Hunt Coyotes.
Hey now big coulee - you are NOT supposed to be able to kill Coyotes with your 17 HMR (at least according to a few people around here!).
Yeah with carefully placed shots the 17 HMR has killed "two for two" on Coyotes for me!
I have been seeing lots of Coyotes in my travels and do need to thin them out some more for sure!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
VG: We have seen a couple of bears- my partner got between a sow and her cub when we were elk hunting last summer and we got permission to bait the area as a lot of bears had been spotted but never got the chance to get back out there-- hopefully this spring we may get into them again. Funny thing is-- the private land we have permission to hunt has yielded 4 turkeys, 3 bucks, 1 doe, 2 cows, 1 bull and 3 coyotes-- all within 3/4 mile of each other! Hopefully we can pull a bruin out of there to...

IV

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy:
Are you using the
Berger Match Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 52 Grain Hollow Point Flat Base Box of 100 http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=387745
Or
Berger Match Grade Varmint Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 52 Grain Hollow Point Flat Base Box of 100 http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=338554
Midway is currently out of stock but I will try a couple of the gun shops in Wichita & Hutchinson, KS
I will keep you informed of my accuracy results. So far I have found that my XP-100 does not like to be pushed to hot the bolt will try to stick (way to hot) or the primer will flow into the firing pin hole. I just have to load them a little lighter. All of the loads I try are in one of the many reloading manuals I have. I bought the current Sierra manual the one with Rifle & Pistol loads listed. I like this one because I use mostly use sierra bullets in my rifles.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Vandal: Great for you guys and that "sweet spot" for Hunting!
Keep that one "close to the vest"!
Best of luck on the Bear Hunting there!
And keep after the Coyotes in that area! It is my understanding that the Coyotes can take Wild Turkeys on occassion but the Turkey's are most susceptible to Coyote predation just after they are hatched and just out of the nest!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44Mag: I am using the MEF bullets #338554. The MEF stands for Maximum Expansion Factor.
I have shot both type 52 grain bullets from other Rifles and they perform very similarly accuracy wise. the MEF's are better on Varmints though in my experience.
I buy my Berger bullets from Russ Haydons Shooters Supply. I will try to link them for you!
Russ is a great guy and he is a Varmint Shooter and was an Olympic Shooter (pistol if I recall correctly!) as well as an intense Bench Rest shooter/competitor.
Here comes the link try:

http://www.shooters-supply.com/

Best of luck to you and your load development!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ is also a gunsmith and he has a wealth of information that he will share with you. A genuine good guy. It's a small family business that is customer oriented.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd223:
VG, I bought this thing off eBay for 20. The fellow said he thought he got it from Sonclair about 5 years ago. It fits a Vari-X 50mm.
It is made out of some type of synthetic opaque plastic and the threads are aluminum. I guess at that price if it works,fine if not it will go to the gunshow table.
I usually have enough guns with me that there is never really a heat problem as I just grab another, unless its one of the AR's

Most Rifle scopes have thread sizes and diameters common to camera lenses.

For example the Cabela's Alaskan guide 6.5-20x44mm Scope I recently bought uses 55mm threads at the objective.

And I've been looking for a "mirage tube"
for my scope... I asked about a scope hood
and some idiot in the store suggested one of those honeycomb "Anti-Reflection Devices"
completely missing the point....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've been pleased with my .223 and it's load that was suggested by Seafire. 40 g. Nosler BT or Berger 40 g. on top of 27.0 g of RL7. 3925 fps through the Chrony and death on badgers and rock chucks. JMHO

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote