THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Another "twist" about the 204!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another "twist" about the 204!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
VG and Doug, A guy came into the local shop yesterday looking for the factory 40 grain loads for his 204.....Savage 12 single shot.......his loves the 40's and won't shoot the 32's under 1.2"!!!!! Another example of "every rifle's different!" GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, the gift of brass is a nice one!!! If there are any fellow 'minters that would like to strike a deal exchanging some quantity of brass for a lesser quantity of new Hornady ammunition, I would love to hear from you.

By the way, I will be on my first "dog safari" this weekend, with the Ruger Compact, and can hardly wait, due in no small part to everyone's ravings about the .204 and it's effectiveness on those prairie rats!!!!

btw, thanks everyone for sharing your loading data!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
I wonder if it has anything to do with the twist rate in the different barrels???? It has to be something other than just the "barrel" .??????
George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrels do indeed have personalities, twist is important to bullet weight and shape but at times the "wrong" twist will shoot a particular bullet quite well even though it isn't "supposed" to. The 40 V-Max has taken a bad rap from many .20 owners, it wasn't doing too well in my Tact.20 either until I got the velocity up and the seating shoved into the lands, now it groups in the low to mid .4's. This rifle shoots the 33 V-Max's in the upper .2's to low .3's, it just likes the 33's better than the 40's. But after finding the sweet spot with the 40's they certainly shoot well enough to do a great job, plus which with their BC of .275 at the 3,900ish they are moving that's a hell of a combo. Glad I didn't give up on em too soon.
I have a CZ Varmint in .223 with a 1 in 9 twist, everyone knows that's a heavy bullet twist in .22. It's favorite bullet bar-none is the 40 V-Max, shoots bug holes. Go figure.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy that had the 204 that liked the 40's......he doesn't reload!! Left his brass at the shop if anybody wanted it!!! I wanted it!!! 60 more pieces of once fired 204!!! Results of the using has been sent to mntdoug and VG! I'll use that kind of brass! Won't you? GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog devastation: Now that was a nifty "gift"! I wish I could find a 204 user that did not want to save the brass!
Good for you! Yes of course I would use it - fired in another gun or not.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, I didn't get to figure out the "twist" in that barrel. But I'd be severely surprised if it was different in that SAVAGE vs any other SAVAGE. That guy's tickeled with the 40's and so far I'm tickled with the 32's.......until I get to shoot the 33's that a gracious fellow shooter from this board just sent me to test!!! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
John8061: Good luck on the Varmint safari with the 204! Let us know the minute you can how she worked for ya!

I am headed out tomorrow on a combination Mt. Goat scouting trip and Varmint Hunt myself! I will have the 204 along and a couple other guns. I hope to call in and harvest some Coyotes with the 204 as well as maybe running across a Badger, Porcupine, Rock Chuck or a late to hibernate (estivate) Ground Squirrel or two. The area I am heading for has been frequented by Wolves and Grizzlies this spring and summer and I hope I have enough gun in case one of them decides to try and take me down!

Long live the 204!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

PS: Welcome to the Varmint Hunting thread by the way!

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, Good luck with the varminting and the .204!! It will be a treat I'm sure!!! Just scoped out some "virgin" territory today while "working"!!! Got the permissions and the gate keys!!! Can only shoot on Saturdays!!! August 28th is predicted to be sunny, mid seventies, varmints galore!!!! I HOPE!!!! GHD