THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Semi Custom 20 cal - Opinions please

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi Custom 20 cal - Opinions please
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted
Have the oppurtunity to get a Rem 700 action rebarreled for crows and fox's. Looked at getting a secondhand 223 or 223AI, but decided on a new barrel rifle.

Torn between calibres now, 20 Tac, 20 Practical or 22BR.

I prefer a magnum sporter weight barrel (do alot of walking varminting - had a VSSF once and hated lugging it around!), would also like a shorter barrel 23" or 24". Which calibre would suit or not sacrifice a mass of velocity for a shorter barrel (not 26").

Also have the oppurtunity of a HS stock from a 700 LTR, like the idea of smaller palm swell etc but am concerned that the shorter length of stock will be a problem (muzzle heavy) for this length barrel. Anyone built a set up using the LTR stock? Or would I be better using the standard HS varmint stock?

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot a fair amount of ammo during the summer months at p/dogs...I have found the 20 calibers are at their best in this field of shooting...coyotes have also fallen from the mighty 204 out right @ 500 yds...they came in in p/dog fields mid day in search of free lunch on p/dog carcasses...my thoughts on the ideal p/dog cartridges are...remember just can't have one..in the pic from L-R are the..
20 Fireball aka the 20 Vartarg...3554 fps with a 40 V max & 19.5/322
20 Practical (20-223) 4026 fps with a 40 V max & 26.5/H4895
204R w/40 V max & 29.5/BLC netting 3880 fps..I have since retired my 204R barrel and its now the 20 PT..much better suited for high volume shooting in the summer sun...
223 Ackley Improved netting 3500 fps with 55 NBT on 27.5/Benchmark...
My shooting buddy is rechambering his 204R barrel to a 20 Vartarg Turbo....20-222..
These are my ideas of near perfect 20 caliber rifles...brass & dies are easy for the 20 VT & 20 PT...loads for either were simple to work up..they are a joy to shoot...very effective...low recoil/low heat/low powder consumption...see your hits...mine are all built on s/shot Savage actions & Pac Nor barrels..very happy with the rifles..

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote