New
Find
Notify
Tools

varmint hunting packages
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hi after reading all about the varmint hunting you have over there i would really like to take a holiday in south dakota,montana or wyoming or simmilar. i would like to shoot prairie dogs and rockchucks.having looked in the classifieds of the VHA magazine for outfitters i cant seem to find any that would be able to rent me a rifle, i dont know weather this is possible but it seems alot easier than importing my gun to use. if anyone has any ideas about somewhere or someone that can make this possible please could you leave me a web address so i cand find out some more info. also what is the best time of year for shooting these types of varmints. thank you in anticipation for your help.

Posts: 50 | Location: england | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scrounger
posted Hide Post
I know an outfitter in Montana who will work with you on that. I'm in the midst of selling and moving, so I can't give you the contact information now but I will be able to in a month or two, when the dust settles. You won't be hunting before mid June, anyway, and end of August marks the last of the prarie dog shooting up there. Be aware that the rifle they rent you won't be top grade, so get creative. First the ammo. Last time I went, I just took a couple of cases (500 rds each) of Federal .223 50grHP. It grouped a half inch in my rifles and was more than adequate according to the 'dogs. That way you can buy the ammo and have it shipped to your outfitter, you don't have to handle it at all. This fellow got me into some great shootimg, fields that hadn't been shot in several years. I shot about 500 rounds a day (Only stayed 2 days, his price was $300 a day) and quit shooting about 3 pm. When you miss a standing dog three times at 100 yards with a 20X scope, it's time to quit for the day. Fatigue in capital letters. There are several ways to go about getting a rifle but this would be a tremendously long post to explain them all, so send me an email if you want to hear them.

Posts: 281 | Location: Between Death Valley & the Atomic Test Site | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi there,

Has anyone tried varmint hunting in South Africa? I firmly believe that we are able to present some of the finest hunting opportunities as anywhere else. Most popular species are Black backed Jackal, Hyaena and Caracal.

Regards

Wilhelm Greeff

Posts: 80 | Location: Centurion, South Africa | Registered: 20 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes my good buddy just got back from S A and he called in a lot of critters.
He is going back next summer for some more.
He said that you cant export the caricol cats or bat eared foxes but you can kill them.
If you can go,you wont be sorry!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mrgunslinger,

You should also try one of these adventures. A full mount of a Black Backed Jackal makes a beautiful trophy.

What makes this more exciting is that if you go on a hunting safari with me, I work a free Jackal hunt in, including all the Jackal hunted.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Wilhelm Greeff

Posts: 80 | Location: Centurion, South Africa | Registered: 20 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great idea. While you are in Africa might as well check out the varmints to round out the experience.

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi safarihunter,

When will we be seeing you?

Wilhelm Greeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have we lost interest in this topic?

Wilhelm Greeff
www.zingelani.co.za

one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
I haven't. Just been checking out the price of flights to JoBurg. Could probably get some for about �400. Just got to start saving the pennies and hope nothing goes wrong with my car between now and this time next year.

For those other Brits (or anyone else for that matter) who's interested in some African varmint busting may I suggest you drop Wilhelm an e-mail. His rates seem pretty good to me and he also comes across as very nice chap (no, I'm not after a discount [Big Grin] )

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brittish,

Nice to "hear" from you again.

Have you visited my website? www.zingelani.co.za

Look under "Hunting" and then "Predator Hunting" for more information on varmint and predator hunting in South Africa. These are only a couple of the pics taken.

Drop my son a line for a chat. He is Wilhelm junior and is presently working in London +44 77 4293 1485. Obviously he wont know who's calling but he will appreciate the contact.

Keep in touch.

Yours cincerely

Wilhelm Greeff (senior of course)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brittish,

Is your car still in good order? I hope so, we do not want you to lose the opportunity to visit Soutrh Africa do we?

How is things on your side?

Regards

Wilhelm Greeff

-

one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
Wilhelm: Had to have a new water pump fitted in the car but no big deal. After the expense of xmas is out of the way I will knuckle down to stashing as much spare money as I can away. Beleive me, I'll get there [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi British,

Just one request, we never talk about Rugby!!!

Regards

Wilhelm

one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry somehow it has posted my topic twice

one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
I too would be very interested in a visit to the states for some varmint hunting. Financial obligations tie me up until mid 2005 but after that I'd like to see whats available. Would it be better to book via a proper outfitter or ask one of you kind folks whether you'd be interested in earning some bucks off me by putting me up for a week and taking me shooting. [Confused]

posted Hide Post
I work for a company HQ'ed in London and I'm somewhat tickled by your handle...

Anyway, try these guys:

http://www.dnrranch.com/hunting.html

I don't know if they have a rifle for you but who knows until you ask?

G23c

Posts: 13 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glock23carry:
I work for a company HQ'ed in London and I'm somewhat tickled by your handle...

Anyway, try these guys:

http://www.dnrranch.com/hunting.html

I don't know if they have a rifle for you but who knows until you ask?

G23c

And now I have to ask the $64,000 question which is "Has anyone hunted with this outfit before and, if so, what's the verdict" [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The owner of DNR ranch hangs out under the handle of WyoWhisper at varminthunter.com. I hang out there, too, and he has a stellar reputation from the other Board Members who have used his services. I haven't used him for my PD hunts, but from what I can gather, he puts on one heckuva shoot' You can easily access the GoGoVarmintGo website thru varminthunter.org, then "Chats and Links" and there you are. It's an addictive thing to get started on, so go easy, you can get ruined pretty quickly. Prairie dog shooting is addictive, you might reconsider bringing in your own rifles, though. Figure on 350-500 rounds daily, too, if you get into it right. Springtime is best, from a weather point of view, mid-June is my favorite time, not too hot, not too wet. Good luck to you. [Big Grin]

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks all for your replys i will look into it! british shame you cld not go in 2004 we cld have met up for a hunt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent three days pdog shooting at the LWR ranch in Martin, SD this last May:

LWR Ranch

Jon and Sherry are fantastic hosts, the shooting was spectacular, and the food and accomodations were excellent as well. I don't know if Jon has rentals. It is not hard to ship a rifle to yourself in advance, as well as ammo, if that helps.

I can't reccommend the LWR enough.

Chris

Posts: 46 | Location: Maple Valley, WA | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for that,there are afew people i have spoke to who said it is hard to bring my rifle in after 9/11 and that i would not be able to travel from state to state,that is what was putting me off!but if it is not that bad i would rather bring my own.

one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techshooter:
I spent three days pdog shooting at the LWR ranch in Martin, SD this last May:

LWR Ranch

Jon and Sherry are fantastic hosts, the shooting was spectacular, and the food and accomodations were excellent as well. I don't know if Jon has rentals. It is not hard to ship a rifle to yourself in advance, as well as ammo, if that helps.

I can't reccommend the LWR enough.

Chris

Now this place looks good. Very keen prices too. [Big Grin]