New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana p dogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had one of the worse p dogs hunts ever rained every day. Only got in 2 hrs of shooting in 4 days. Oh well there is next year. [Big Grin] Just got done shooting some ground squrriels in OR.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My condolences, last week, June 2-3, I had the best dog shoot ever, on the Rosebud. It could just as easily have gone the other way,, like the previous trip, so I can sympathize and only wish that your next one is way better and as good as the one we had. We hammered and hammered and still they came out, old ones and young ones and dumb ones and dead ones. Even got one at 250 yds, with a .17 HMR. I know this is hard to hear, so I'll shut up now. good luck in future shoots. [Cool]

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was with P-dog Shooter, it was my first P-dog hunt.....IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! Those 2 hours were the greatest shooting I have ever had! It was worth the trip.I am looking forward to next year!!!!! I got my first ever at 30 yards with my Savage tactical .308. All the rest were at 200 to 500 hundred yards from a 75 foot rise in a 20 mile an hour cross wind with my Remington 700 BDL in .223 with 55 grain soft points with my brand new Leupold varilux III with mildots. I can not wait to go again when the sun is shining and the dogs are out! [Cool] [Cool] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch out for Monkey Pox.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well your only going to get monkey pox if you touch the damn things.

As far as P-dog hunting. Well lets just say its an addiction. Kind of like smoking, for some people the first time you do it. your hooked. Sorry about the hunt. Had the same problem out in Kansas a couple of years ago.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Having the same problem right now with the rain here in Colorado. The afternoon storms are something else. Did get a good trip Wednesday and will be going again tomorrow. [Smile]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My family, friends and inlaws ranch. Been shooting PD's all my life (36 years old). Now for several years, with my job controlling PD's is one of my duties. To say I am a little burned out is an understatement. Shooting prairie dogs seems like a waste of ammo any more.

Last week I mapped out 6 towns equalling a total of 879 acres. That was for 2 landowners, I have another 17 landowners worth of dog town mapping to get done before the middle of August. I expect to get another 8 to 10 landowners by then and another 10 plus by the end of the year. Those are all towns marked for "control". Love to give the names out to anyone, but I can't. Giving ranchers names out to strangers would make me real unpopular in a hurry. Plus it is County policy. Sorry guys! A guy I know is getting $125 a day, with a 3 guy, two day minimum and he is booked. That is the craziest damn thing I ever heard. Sure makes me think I am in the wrong line of business though.

Posts: 8 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well just got back in from the rest of the vacation had a great time. Visting relatives and sight seeing the west.
Well as if anything if you do it long enough and get payed for it it becomes a job.
I guess I'll have to wait untill next year to help get rid of a few dogs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
P Dog shooter:

Just got back from a couple of days shooting PDogs in Montana, outside of Billings.

Only got to take about 150 or so, since I was just plain being a lousy shot. Could not drive into a couple of fields so had to shoot offhand.
Did some fantastic 150 to 200 yd off hand shots, and then followed it up with missing a couple 20 feet away.

Stopped by the place my group shoots ground squirrels in Oregon ( home) and they are cutting the alfalfa fields so in a week or so, back out doing that.

Plan another trip to Montana at the end of July or first of August to eliminate some more of the little 'gophers.'

Only had 223s on this trip, next trip will have my 22/250 back with a new stainless 28 inch PacNor barrel on it. My home built shooting trailer will also be finished at that time.

As a Wisconsin resident, you can relate to one of the reasons that I left Minnesota in 1995 and moved to Oregon. [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire went tru Grantspass last week on the way to the coast. I have always like the west and well spend more time out there when I retire in a few years. We had fun shooting some of your ground squirrels also grass was a little high. but fun.