THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Varmint hunting Georgia style!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint hunting Georgia style!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last week, needing a little break from work, I went to some property I own about an hour's drive away. Got there about 7:30 that afternoon, eased the truck behind some bushes and walked to my "deer" stand. My stand is about 8'x 4' and about 8' tall with a good view of a small field. The field hasn't been planted this year, so it's knee deep brush. I took a book to read and the only rifle I had with me, a Cooper 17hmr. I'd read a little while and then glass the field, enjoying some baby turkeys milling around, some squirrels, doves; nice way to spend the afternoon. While looking through my binoculars, something big and black filled my view. A fairly good sized boar eased out into the field, sniffed a little and went back into the woods. A few minutes later he walked back into the field and started grazing on the grass. I eased the rifle up and watched him through the scope. Although the Cooper is one of my favorite rifles, I've never been impressed with the killing power of the 17hmr on anything much bigger than a sparrow. However, it will shoot dime sized groups at 100 yards and thats how far this boar is. I watched him for several minutes through the scope debating on where to shoot him and whether the 17 would even kill him. He would root a while, then look up, then root awhile. Finally he looked up and straight at me and hesitated. Now or never, I cranked the scope to 20x and put one right between the eyes. He flipped over backwards and started spinning on the ground, then he stopped and I put a couple more in his head for good measure. One big dead boar. 4 1/2 feet from nose to butt (not including the curly tail). I walked over to the corpse and saw a tiny hole right between the eyes with just a little dribble of blood coming out, no exit wound. A couple more tiny holes on the side of the head and that was all. You really had to look hard to tell he was even shot, no blood on the ground or anything. But as they say "dead is dead".

Posts: 54 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gahunter2: Wow! Great Varmint Hunting story and great kill there!
I am kind of the opposite of you in my opinion of the killing power of my 17 HMR Rifle (Ruger 77/17V). I am very impressed with the lethality of this tiny round on all manner of Varmints!
I have killed two Coyotes with my 17 HMR so far - one shot apiece (both at around 100 yards!). In addition I killed a large Boar Badger at a lasered 173 yards with one shot - again! I have shot many large and medium sized Rock Chucks with my 17 HMR. With careful shot placement these Chucks are dead with one shot! I have killed two large Porcupines with one shot apiece as well from the 17 HMR! I readily kill large Jack Rabbits with this 17 HMR and they fall as if pole axed.
As soon as the Fox populations in my area get back to normal from a mange infestation hereabouts, I will use the 17 HMR on them as well.
My partner also killed a Badger with one shot from his 17 HMR, as well. I observed this kill in person. Badgers ARE difficult Varmints to kill in case you are not familiar with them.
Your good shot and kill are commendable and notable!
Good for you and the 17 HMR!
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks. A great story. I wish we had boar over here. For the few I have taken I have had to travel to Belarus, the Netherlands and Germany.
Must be nice to have them in your backyard...
Regards
Gauti

Posts: 29 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote