New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Wby varmint bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I shot quite a few woodchucks with my 300 Wby last summer more as practice with the gun than anything else. I was using 165 Nosler BTs with pretty impressive results. I am looking for a lighter bullet that will be a bit more frangible though. I am looking to speed things up a bit and increase my visual effect. I shoot a lot of chucks with my 220 Swift and it is highly effective but I just don't think there is quite enough bullet mass for maximum effect. I would appreciate some suggestions for bullets in the 100-110 grain range and some potential loads if anyone has any.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never played with the 300 Wby, but I've used 110 and 130's in 30-06. Speer 130 HP's at the higher speeds are explosive.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
WunderDog,

Can't help you with the 300Wby part but I have shot quite of few different varmint bullets in my 300winmg.

I have found the 110 V-max to be a very good bullet. The accuracy has been as good or better than all the others. Don't push much past 3700 fps as some can come apart.

If you want to step up to the 130 gr. size, then go with the 130 gr. Wildcat. Contact Richard at wildcatbullets@hotmail.com, or 1-780-352-8592. Richard also has a 68 gr. 30 cal bullet. They can handle 4000 fps and not come apart before they hit something.

If you are looking at longer distances, I would suggest the Wildcat 130s. Under 400 yards, the 110 V-max would be my pick.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, this gives me a starting point. I am looking for effects something like in your avatar pdhntr. I was thinking about the Vmax but I am not real excited about them coming apart at higher velocities. I was thinking that I might be able to get a lighter bullet up to around 4000. I may contact Richard and see what he has to say.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speer 130 HP's at the higher speeds are explosive.

Man that's for sure-- i used to use them years ago for rockchucks in CO, and i can remember finding chuck pieces plastered on rocks 20 ft. away from where i hit 'em with that bullet out of an '06

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Wunderdog,

This is just a guess, but I think you might have been right on with the 100-110 gr. bullet. You mentioned you are looking for chunks to fly. Don't know what size your adult chucks are, but I can't be too far off in my estimation, and blowing one into peices is going to take some bullet mass. I am thinking the 110 V-max may do a better job than the 68 gr Wildcat. (if that is what you were considering)

Also, I don't think you are going to see a 300 fps difference in the visual outcome of a direct hit with a 110 V-max. Loading info is easier to come by with the V-max. I can recommend both bullets, I am just wondering if the 300 fps should be the deciding factor.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the 100-110 range is better. My usual choice for chucks is my 220 Swift and with that I am pushing 55gr Nosler BTs at 4060fps. That does a reasonably good job and can be quite impressive with hits on smaller chucks and head shots on larger ones but I have had some bigger ones that I have hit center of mass and had no exit wound. I am sure the insides are complete mush but to have only the 22 cal entry wound to show for it can be a little disappointing. Some of the big ones around here get pretty fat and it will take a little more to make sure they are truly not ready for the taxidermist. I think the 68gr bullets will not give me much gain over my Swift.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Can you see them explode in the scope? I tried with a 243, 22-250 couldn't see because of the recoil. I havent tried with my 300 Win Mag it sounds like a real blast.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine even coming close to being able to see the hits through the scope. My 300 is a lightweight gun and I cannot even see hits through the scope with my 220 Swift which is about 5 pounds heavier. I am hoping to get some good hits on video this season though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the Sierra 110gr JHP. If that won't shoot well, then give the Nosler 125 gr. Ballistic Tip a whirl. Both have done very well for me with the Nosler being most explosive.

Posts: 403 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I still carry 130gr HP's for my 30-06. They leave the muzzle at a mild 3100 FPS but are totally devastating on any critter that is the size of a rockchuck or bigger. They work great for prairie dogs. The splatter factor is very high. You will get enough velocity out of a 300 WBM that I would load for accuracy rather than maximum speed. You might try some 150 grainers intended for a 30-30. The may splat very well.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

posted Hide Post
Hi Wunder,
I loaded up some 110 grn spire points in 300 wthby mag. Shot some ground squirrels with it. You can make them move along close to 3700 fps. It totally vaporizes them. Nothing left but a red spot where they stood. Shot a Badger at around 200 yards, blew it completely in half. What fun it was. Even made me a better shot with some real loads!
pipedoctor

Posts: 17 | Location: Battle Ground, Washington | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
300Wby
125gr Sierra SP
83.4gr IMR-4350
Fed 215
Wby case

Shot a song dog between the eyes, @ 135yds, blew it's head wide open.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on shooting woodchucks yet but I have busted about 5 crows so far with 125 gr Nosler BT. You talk about chunks and aerial ballet.. man that is tops. I push my 125's to only about 3400 fps and they are a joy to shoot. The plus side is that I get plenty of practice in this gun with less recoil impact. This makes it easier to pull the trigger on those 180-200 gr loads when you need to.

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
The 125 gr NBT is what I would say to be the best one for this setup. I want pics of the aftermath now...

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote