Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Choice
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking at getting a Nikon Monarch or Buckmaster for a Tikka T3 22-250. I am trying to decide between a 4-12x50 or a 6-18x40. I will not be shoting and PD just coyotes, cats, and fox. Probably the furthest shot would be 400yrds. Any suggestions?

Posts: 21 | Location: NC | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Adicted.

Both are very good scopes. I recommend the Buckmaster 6-18x40. Lot of scope for the money and the .22-.250 can make good use of the extra magnification.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buliwyf! Looks like a great site with a ton of information and topics! I have heard good things about the buckmasters.

Picture of hoghntrpa
posted Hide Post
You might want to take a look at the Bushnell Elite series scopes. I have a couple 4200's and absolutely love them. The 3200's are a little less but I here they are excellent scopes as well.

Posts: 1 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have noticed a trend between the Nikons and Bushnells among varminters. They both look very nice but have always thought Nikons to be a bit nicer. I have overlooked the Bushnells but may have to investigate tham a bit more. Thanks for your help!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't go wrong with the Nikon 6-18! Affordable, clarity, dial it up and down and come back to zero!! BTDT for a while now! using their Monarchs an Buckmasters on a varied assortment of varminters and long range stuff!! Value for the buck is not equaled in any line! Clarity and light gathering is eqal to and above the Big L VX-3's!! BTDT testing them side by side!! The Busnell Elites are GREAT SCOPES also but their use of gold or yellow on their target turrets (and no true target turrets included with the scope) makes them hard to see the differentiations on the turret. Clarity and definition is GREAT with the ELITES but for the most bang for the buck, the NIKONS have the nod!! If I had a rifle to scope tomorrow it would have NIKON glass on it!! Best buy out there today! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
In the Nikon BM series, the 4.5-14x40 may be the best of both worlds for you. It offers ample magnification for your longest shots, but 4.5 on the low-end will do fine for anything up close and personal or on the move.

The Nikon BMs are optically superior to the 3200s, though that particular Bushnell series is solid in its own right. The Monarchs are in another league altogether.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
In the Nikon BM series, the 4.5-14x40 may be the best of both worlds for you. It offers ample magnification for your longest shots, but 4.5 on the low-end will do fine for anything up close and personal or on the move.

The Nikon BMs are optically superior to the 3200s, though that particular Bushnell series is solid in its own right. The Monarchs are in another league altogether.
+1 thumb

I have a couple 6X18X44 Wide Angle Swift scopes. Unless it is a cooool day, the most you can
really go is about 12-14 power because of mirage.
Kind of wish I had bought a 4.5X14 or a 4X12 for one of them.

The problem with the 50mm scopes is you have to mount them so high above the bore.
Sometimes that gets kind of cumbersome.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I got to look at a Leatherwood Top Angle Scope today at the range... it was mounted on a Savage Action...in 7 x 30 power with a 50 mm objective, and side focus.. and Mil Dot Reticle..

As far as optical quality, it blew away my 6.5 x 20 Leupold.. plus it has features that can really be used in the varmint fields...

I can definitely see a couple of these on some varmint rifles in the near future for me...price for that particular model was around the $400.00 range...but WOW!!!! what a scope...

I'd probably go with the conventional 6.x 24 power or 4 x 16...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From all my years of calling, I've found the 4.5-14 magnification to be the best. Two of my favorite scopes for calling are Burris's Fullfield II and Zeiss Conquest. The Zeiss may be out of your price range but it is the one I have been going to or rather it going on my rifles the last couple of years. My favorite calling rifle, 220 Swift, now sports a Zeiss.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
You can also get a Sightron SII 4.5-14X 42mm Matte, Plex, Target Knobs, AO for $339. I have two of the SII's. They are also about the best bang for the buck out there today.

Since you are not shooing PD's, just predators, a 3-9x40/42/44 with do the job just fine. A Sightron SII can be had for $244.

You can get a Monarch 3-12x42 for $349. I have three Monarchs as well. They are great glass for the money.

Both the Monarch and SII will give you excellent low light visibility.

Good Hunting,

Bob

FYI-Nikon will be introducing a new camoed Monarch predator scope at the SHOT show in a few weeks. It is being tested in the field out in New Mexico as we speak............

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote