THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Varmint rig built on a Mauser 98 action

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint rig built on a Mauser 98 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been reading on this forum about using a Mauser action. Some are against it, some not. But here, its the cheapest action I can find for a new project.

So I will use this action. But Im not sure what caliber. It has a .06 boltface, so I'll go down that road. Im thinking about a 6-06, 6-284, 257 Wby Mag. Im really not sure what caliber. I want something fast,flat and brutal to the little critters. Biggest animal is foxes and beavers.

The 6mm has the advantage of high BC bullets, but since the distance is not to long (max 500 yards) speed makes up for BC.

One thing I dont want to do, is buy custom dies, for this caliber. It should be easy to get loading equipment. And no fire forming. Since its a fast cartridge, dont want to use my barrel to no avail. I would like to get barrel life in the 1500-2000 round mark. I dont shoot to much, I have 308 for this.

Any suggestions? I should tell you Im a bit biased towards the 257 Wby, just because it shoots fast as H@%l.

But I want input Smiler

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
If you want to use that bolt face as it is, and that's smart, go with the 25-06. It's more than adequate for what you are talking about. You're talking about a lot of extra expence on action modification going with the Weatherby and you really have gained nothing Roll Eyesroger.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would I need to do on the action if I were to go for a 257 Wby?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
What would I need to do on the action if I were to go for a 257 Wby?

Open up the bolt face to accept the magnum case. Work on the magazine and rails so it would feed.All that for about 130fps?? thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok.. point taken!

But why 25-06, and not 6-06?

Not much differense betwen the two calibers?

one of us
posted Hide Post
25-06........HELL, in the eyes of the varmints!!! 6-06.....bordering on the "overbore" syndrome of throat erosion(bet I'll get some comments on that statement!!)
If you like the 6mm size bullets why not a logical 6mmRemington chamber? I myself think that the 25-06 is GOD's gift to rifledom.....varmints to deer! But the 6mm Remington will do everything you need to do, with a myriad of bullets, with reloading components and even factory loadings readily available, common availibility of dies(vs the exhorbitent prices for 6x284 or 6.5x284 dies), not to mention the gunsmithing that would be required to turn the action into and "ol Roy" "what'd I get for those extra bucks spent?, Weatherby!!!" Just my thoughts!! 6mm or 25-06 and you will be as happy as you can be!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On another thought, If you're looking at "all the speed you can get" why not go with the "AI" versions of the 6mm or the 25-06? I don't think ol Roy would have made a wart on P.O. Ackleys butt when it came to being "ahed of his time" in cartridge design! And if ol Mr Ackley was here to advise you, his little .257 Roberts AI cartridge was one of his favorites!! Now to get a set of AI dies from Redding or whoever, is going to cost you a bit extra also so I think the best thing for you to do is stick to the 6mm or 25-06 for your project. Let me know if you need some reloading help! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog I think the best thing for you to do is stick to the 6mm or 25-06 for your project. ! GHD

I second that thought and GHD how close to Penhook VA do you live? That's if it's still there. beer

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple I have on Gunbroker. You can pick one up for less than it will cost to build one.

25-06

7mm-08

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have rebarreled a Mauser Action, Model 98, Civilian, about 1930 production...

It had a 22.250 barrel on it when I bought it and a left handed stock...Barrel was 24 inch sporter, and shot out...

It did have a Timney trigger and drilled and tapped for a scope...

I just had a 31 inch bull barrel put on it, in 6mm Remington with a 1 in 8 twist for 105 and 115 Bergers on the high end....

I am waiting for a stock from Boyd's for it, and then will have to finish it...

Another thing I have finally woken up to is that with a barrel vice available from Several sources, I can change the barrel on this rifle to another caliber fairly easily....

Several gunsmiths have told me as long as the barrels are staying on the same action, I don't need to re head space them each time....

total costs for the intial project minus scope are

Rifle: Mauser Action< $100.00

Barrel: $100.00 ( Pac Nor, used but new, never mounted, private sale)

Chambering and fitting to action: $175.00

Boyd's Stock: Less than $ 100.00..... 3 to 4 hours or so to finish it...

I already have a second barrel to go on it, in 6.5 mm... It will be chambered in a 6.5 x 57 for convenience sake ( 6mm Remington necked up, 257 Roberts, 7 x 57 necked down)....
Cost $100.00 again...

Chambered etc: $175.00 again...

I am thinking of also doing a 220 Swift barrel on that action also...All Bull Barrels and all single shot as I have ordered a Benchrest Follower for it also...

It will be a 15 to 17 pound rifle when done, so it is not exactly mobil.. but it should be fine off a portable bench or off the top of hood or roof of my 1988 4 Runner!

Cheers,
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote