THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    What I'm taking to South Dakota next week.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What I'm taking to South Dakota next week.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Two shooters... or a shooter and a spotter depending on what guns we have out.

Ruger Varmit SS .223 500rnds 40gr V-max <--very nice shooting gun and load.

CZ Varmit 22-250 400rnds 50-53gr V-max

Built Rem 700 SS heavy bbl 6mm-284 250rnds 75gr V-max <--first year with this gun.

(2) Marlin .17 HMR's 1200rnds <-- gotta love em.

This kinda looks like overkill when I type it out.

Posts: 42 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Oh I dunno,

Seems you're a couple of guns short...

Big Grin

How long are you going to be in S.D. (how many shooting days), and are you bringing tools to reload your ammo? You could probably easily shoot that up in a day, day and a half (especially with 2 shooters).

On a big field I'll take, 17 hmr, 223, 22-250, 243, and 6.5x284, probably 500 rds each per day for the little guns, and 200-300 rds each for the "big" guns, and reload at night.

Have fun!

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my list, leaving Sunday.

Custom Rem 700 17 Fb
" " " 17 Rem
" " " 204R
Anscuutz 22 mag
Anschutz 22H
Rem 700 varmint 223
Sako Varmint 223
Custom Sako 22PPC

Will have 3-400 rounds per gun except 1000 in 223.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy if we get 3 good days of shooting. Not planing on taking reloading stuff, I've never ran out of ammo in the past but I have been told that we've never seen great shooting either.

This will be my third year out and between the two of us we usually get an honest 150-175 per day.

The hmr's own everything under 175yds and I usually limit the 223 to 350yds but its been out to 400. The 22-250 still isnt shooting like it should, it will barely reach past the 223. The big 6 looks promising on paper and im excited to see what it can do in the field and what it does in the wind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
only 5 - geez i wouldn't think of going without at least a dozen or so. thought for you though. take a look at loading for the little 17 hornet. you can do it for 1/2 the price of the 17 hmr

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
p-dog shooter: How did you get into my gun safe and ammo locker? Big Grin My hunting buddy and I go to Wyoming every year, use the same caliber rifles (yeah, we each have the same guns), and the same amount of ammo each. Good luck on your trip.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I left out my 10-22, it always goes. It comes in handy when they try to flank us. Oh, and I always take a couple Ruger Mark 1's, I like to get a few with a pistol if I can.

I do need a small .17-.204 centerfire, I am seriously interested in the little Hornady .17 Hornet, but I kinda want to build a .20 Vartarg or something like that, I have a good Savage 110 light bbl in .223 I think would be an excellant donor for a little powder saver.

But then again, why not have both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All packed up and leaving in the morning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay safe and don't forget the camera.

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the trip...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back, had alot of fun and good shooting.