New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the main differences between the model 10fp and the 12vss other than the stock? How much or is there any difference in the accuracy in them? Just wondering as there is no claim as to accuracy in Savages' site are the actions and barrels all the same or not?
The gun shop has a #10 in stock with scope etc. for 825.00. It is not a great scope. but it will most likely do for now.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike the 10fp is the tactical model. The 12vss is a varmint model. The F stands for synthetic stock, the P stands for Police, The V stands for long range heavy barrel (varmint barrel) ss stands for stainless steel. The fp has a 24 in. barrel, and the vss has a 26 inch barrel. The 12 bvss has the laminate stock the B stands for wood laminate stock. Go to savagearms.com they list all the codes and all the availible models.

Posts: 29 | Location: Inpls. Indiana | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have wondered this exact thing recently, rook only answered part of it. So ok here is my question what is the difference between a 10 fp and a 12fv. I know the fp only comes in 308 and 223 so is the 12fv the same just has the option of magnum chamberings?? savage designations are a little confusing with 110's 112's and 116's action types. are there any that are better in accuracy. I saw a .270 savage new at walmart the other day for 233$ man that is cheap one could just rebarrel if they didn't like that chambering. I want my next gun to be a 12bvss.

[ 08-03-2003, 02:57: Message edited by: cummins cowboy ]

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<cohoyo>
posted
I�ve been trying to buy a 12flvss in .308 for about 4 months now. I have a friend who has an ffl and both guns I�ve received have had big flaws in the crown so I�d make darn sure you check it before you buy. with the second gun the wholesaler told be to go through savage because they couldn't find me another one and that has proven to be a joke. savages customer service is worse than their quality control. one more thing about the 12flvss, the only scope ring bases that will fit the receiver are the leupolds and if you put them on the normal way then they stick out over the bolt handle so you have to turn them around so the windage screws stick out over the loading port a good inch. leupold says this is a common and normal way to put bases on a rifle but it looks weird to me and doesn�t help when loading the gun either. as you can tell, I�m a little displeased with the whole deal so I�m going to look around for something else to buy instead.

posted Hide Post
Mike: I have become a believer in Savages over the last year and a half or so. The model numbers are not too hard to identify. A model 10 is a short action, a model 110 is a long action; a 12 is a short action, a 112 is a long action. To confuse things farther, the long actions often are chambered for short action cartridges.The Savage website lists all your options & model designations. I recently bought a a model 110 from Walmart on sale, and am rebuilding it with a different barrel, trigger and whatnot. I figure I will have less than 650 in it without glass, and I will have just what I desire. The FV plastic stock is really cheesy, but I am playing with mine just to see what can be done. I've epoxied, stiffend, widened, and bedded the action for it. Its been kinda fun. I really like the BV stocks for bench shooting, but the BVSS goes well over 10lbs without scope. But man do they shoot. My shooting partner saw how well mine shot, and went out and bought 2 for himself! I have a model 12BVSS in 223, and a 112BT in 308, as well as the 110 I am working on (which started out as a 7MM Rem. Mag., and will end up as a 6BR. Figure on replacing the factory trigger, unless it has the Accu-trigger (which is pretty good). I don't know what you are planning on using it for, but I bet it will do the job, pretty much right out of the box. Ken web page

[ 08-03-2003, 06:24: Message edited by: 284 ]

Posts: 2 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 12FLVSS in 223Rem, and my dealer mounted my Nikon scope with a 2 piece Millet base. It works fine and doesn't hang out over the ejection port at all.

Good shooting,
12FLVSS

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
The Savage package deals, even with the varmint series can be put together for less. I have a 10FP in 223...7-08...308 (LE1 20")...and 300 Win mag. These are pre Accue trigger. In my opinion I don't think you can buy a more accurate out of the box rifle than these FP models. The tupperware stock has been improved on newer models, but is still not a McMillian or Choate. I do prefer the BVSS series (lam/SS), in which I have 2 in 223. I have shot 5 shot groups with my Savage rifles that will scare you for a nearly stock factory rifle. Try one....

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get a 10FP or 12VSS with Choate stocks and the 10FP can also be purchased with a McMillan stock. The Choate package is actually pretty reasonable.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think of the Choate on the 12VSS compared to the laminate on the 12BVSS? I'm looking at both of these rifles in a 223, but can't determine which I should go with. Is one more comfortable than the other? One easier to shoot off bipods in the field? Just looking for some unbiased feedback from those that have a working knowledge of them.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. But, does anyone think there is any difference in the actions and the barrels between the V series and the B series rifles? I guess the main question is in pricing as the 12BVSS is $675 and the 10FP is $588, and the 12VSS at $934 Savage's web site price as listed. That is a lot of difference in pricing if the only difference is the stock and bedding.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy whatever 12F or B you can get cheapest. Stock doesn't matter. Then order a varmint/tactical stock from Sharshooters. It's a drop-in and much nicer and more useful than any stock you can get from Savage..
Dale McClure

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the main price difference comes from the 12VBSS being stainless and the 10FP being blued. I would also check prices at the shop where you are buying the rifle, as most places are cheaper than the MSRP listed on Savage's website. There is also a good deal of variation from shop to shop.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
I chose the 12VSS, (.22/250) mainly because it came standard with the SharpShooter trigger. Originally had doubts about the Choate stock but have come to appreciate it, it is actually quite nice to use in the field with the VersaPod system installed on the accessory rail. Installed a wide trigger shoe on the skinny thing that is standard. It is a real tackholer, great trigger and nice to shoot as well. I have no regrets on choosing it over the BVSS.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I looked around at pricing for the 12bvss and the best deal I could find on auction arms from a gun shop was new 12bvss for 525$ not sure about shipping but this sounds pretty good since you wouldn't have to pay a gunsmith 35$ to adjust or replace the standard accu-trigger. I guess you could put that money toward scope rings

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a used 12 FLVSS from another AR forum member. I opened the barrel channel on a Sharp Shooter Mule Deer stock I already had. Caliber is .308. I loaded a 155 Sierra HPBT Palma ontop of 46.0 Varget with WLRP. All I got out of that piece of crap was a 3 shot group in high NM winds that was .636" center to center.........at 230 lasered yards.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While all Savages seem to be excellent shooters, I have come to the conclusion that they do not waste anything. Instead of scrapping a less than perfect action, they put a cheap synthetic stock or a plain wood stock, put a 3 x 9 cheap Simmons scope on it, and call up Walmart and Kmart and offer them a great deal on them.

The upscale ones definitely seem to have tighter actions, fantastic quality control etc.
Just compare a 114 model to say a 110.

Or compare the synthetic stock 12 with the accutrigger to the laminated stock version. The tightness of the action, how smooth the bolt works and the feel of the two are night and day to me.

Althought some think a cheap Savage is a great buy, It is the more expensive ones, that I think are a great buy. I really think, not scrapping so much is why they are able to maintain lower prices compared to some of the other brands.

Just MHO and 2 cents worth.
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What do you Savage owners think of the Savage 12VSS-S .223 Varminter Stainless model. I saw it for sale on gun auction site for about $750.00. Good price?

Posts: 13 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My new 12FVSS cost $480.00 from a local dealer. Of course I had to pay sales tax also but no shipping.

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, so, you think, or believe there is a difference between the cheaper models and the more expensive ones. Or, are you saying that Savage saves the tighter actions for the upgraded models? I don't think for even one minute that they put out unsafe guns, but then I don't know about how many don't make the final inspections either.