New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1-B In 204
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was at a Gunshow this past weekend over in Bozeman, Montana and while there I had occassion to look over a Ruger #1-B in caliber 204 Ruger. I even tried the trigger. I was impressed with the wood and fit and finish of this particular Rifle and sure was tempted! I have my heart set on a Ruger 77V in this caliber though for my needs. The only thing that held me back - when push came to shove was the exhorbitant price the fella was asking for this standard model Ruger #1 (blued action barrel and regular walnut wood stocked model). The guy wanted $725.00 for it! Naw I thought, I am not gonna pay $200.00 extra just to have the first one on my block. Anyway the barrel sure looked cool with that 20 caliber hole in it and the weight and balance was sure pleasing to me! If it had been in the normal price range for new #1's I am afraid I would have jumped on it. It did have nice wood!

Has anyone out there seen a Model 77V in 204 Ruger yet?

I had heard of the #1's in stainless being available in this caliber some weeks ago and now I have seen the blued model so maybe they will get some 77V's out before the end of Colony Varmint season this year?

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure VarmintGuy, a Ruger? Word is Remington is going to have a rifle in this caliber as well for those who like Remingtons over Rugers. No offence to Ruger fans but that would include me (as pretty as that #1 is). Actually a buddy and I have Rob at Shed Horn in Ennis nabbing on to the first 2 CZ's he gets his hands on. Less money than the other two and the ones I have sure shoot, I love those set triggers and mini mauser actions. What ever your poison it should be a great deal of fun and a real eye opener for those who've never shot anything like it, serious rat spreader.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
montdoug, Remington is coming with the chambering in the new LV, the VS and also for economy minded folks, the ADL synthetic!!! Savage is supposed to bring it in their new single shot bolt action varminter.....Savage 40 and also a couple others and CZ is supposedly going to have a couple different configurations! I've already got 100 rounds of the ammo, scope to go on the rifle and just waiting for the rifle.....whichever one other than the Rugers to get here!!GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mountdoug & GHD: OK, OK, I know - I know! I am a Remington kinda guy but I kinda want to reward the folks at Ruger for giving a go to the thing Remington does so well and has done for so long - introducing new cartridges and wildcats in factory Rifles! So I am leaning toward buying the Ruger 77V in 204.
I also like the looks of the laminated stock and finish of the Ruger 77V's!
I just shot my Ruger 77/17V today at the range. The nifty little Rifle was new last spring and has performed very well for me indeed since then. I have still not shot a 5 shot group with this Rifle over 1.000" at 100 yards! And that just amazes me - with a rimfire! The group today was shot in a puffy crosswind at about 4 MPH and this sight verification group with the Remington ammo measured .902"! The vertical dispersion I measured of those five shots was only .252"! I used this Rifle late last fall and since it has mostly been setting around and on a couple of occassions bouncing along on Varmint outings. It has kept its zero well for many months now.
I am also getting a lot of reports firsthand of excellent accuracy in the latest 77V centerfires.
You are both right I am taking a bit more of a chance accuracy wise going with the Ruger but I will take extreme care with it (as I do with all new Rifles) and keep it as new, until I am happy with its accuracy. If no luck there I will sell it and take the $100.00 hit and move on.
Yes the splatter factor should be high with this cartridge! I should have bought some of the Hornady 20 caliber bullets a guy was selling at the Gunshow! They might get scarce when the guns get common?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy, what weight were the bullets? My Tactical .20 really likes the 33grain V-Max, now that they dropped it for the 32grain V-Max I'd sure like to get some more 33's if I could find em, add em to my collection.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
montdoug, The Hornady factory ammo I got is loaded with the 32 grain VMax's. Supposedly there will also be a 40 grain VMax offered also....haven't seen any of that yet! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montdoug: Dang - blame this one on my fading close up vision! The red Honady boxes were clearly marked with a large white label that had black lettering on it showing "20 Caliber" but the grain weight was not prominent and I just assumed they were only making one weight of bullet for the 20! I was just to lazy to put my reading glasses on I guess! I am sorry I do not know which grain weight they were! But the people with that bunch of tables go to most all the big Gunshows in Montana and when I see them again I will verify it for you! There is a big show in Billings this weekend (April 2 - 4) and they may be there. Or another big show in Missoula (April 17 - 18). I will probably hit the Missoula show.
Sorry!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy, if you see those folks and they have the "33" grain V-Max, not 32grain. I'd sure appreciate a personal message so I'd know how to get hold of em. I've got 5,000 now but I'd buy another 5,000 (maybe more). Minutely different from the 32 (in fact the 32 looks sleaker) but the 33 shoots significantly better than the 32, at least in my rifle. (at 4,200+ you oughta see these things smack a rat!)
If you remember their name please let me know. My wife won't let me go to the gun shows unless I have a note pinned to my collar and it's real embarassing, it's either that or she goes with me and keeps a death grip on my ear, also embarassing-bum deal. (just kidding of course) Actually I just don't travel much and I didn't make the last show here. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Montdoug: It appeared they had about 8 boxes of the Hornady bullets what ever they were grain wise. Maybe they have more. I will gather info for you!
I just thought of this my friend out in the Seattle area is retired but works the Gunshow circuit with several other guys. They have about 6 tables full of Horandy gear, bullets and dies along with brass. I will send him an E-mail and see if they have any of the 33 grainers. My friend is in Raton, New Mexico right now looking at real estate so it may be a week or so til he gets back and answers the inquiry. I will let you know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
The gun shop here in Tracy CA also has a new Ruger #1B .204 Ruger. Guess what he's asking? $919 retail!!! CRAZY!!

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks VarmintGuy much appreciated! You gettin any of this snow? Gopher hunting 2 days ago, snow shovels today. Gotta love Montana.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Montdoug: Yes it has been snowing off and on for two days here! We have at least 2" of the white stuff here now and the wind is coming from the ENE! If you can imagine that? Has the world stopped spinning and reversed itself here or what? Four days ago sunny and record high temperatures two days in a row all over SW and now its snowing! Gee! I had a Ground Squirrel trip all planned and packed for and this happens!
Patience I guess!
Gives me more time for reloading!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy